Gulf War: LANTIRN & AIM-7 SPARROW

stormrider

Frankenstein was the creator, not the monster. :doh:

Sorry just while we are needling people about being accurate......:smilewink:

-S

Indeed, but it was just called Frankenstein's Monster after his creator, so I'm referring to the Frankenviper in the same manner ;)

Greetings from someone who is living within view of the Frankenstein Castle :)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

USAF F-16s NEVER had Sparrows. They flew with Sidewinders only during Desert Storm.

Only some export and sme very few National Guard variants had/have Sparrows, but not USAF Vipers.

Wrong there, sport. F-16ADF had Sparrow capability. ANG are still USAF.

Wrong there, sport. F-16ADF had Sparrow capability. ANG are still USAF.

Semantics. Fact is, the F-16ADF was only used by the ANG, which is not the regular USAF. It doesn't matter anyways who flew the F-16ADF, as we don't have the F-16ADF in DCS, which makes this debate kinda pointless...

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

I like this request, and don't care a bit of realism nuts. Is a freaking GAME, you can ask real life military pilots.

After all you don't die If you get shoot down or crash. You don't fail air force exams either lol

Now, jokes apart, why simply do't use the requested feature If you don't like it? Is not that we're sustracting features, but adding them.

Edited by Stratos

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

I like this request, and don't care a bit of realism nuts. Is a freaking GAME, you can ask real life military pilots.

After all you don't die If you get shoot down or crash. You don't fail air force exams either lol

Alright, then let's add AMRAAMs to every plane or how about laser weapons? Well, please not, because it's a SIMULATION!

Now, jokes apart, why simply do't use the requested feature If you don't like it? Is not that we're sustracting features, but adding them.

Because that's not the point of DCS. I fly almost exclusively in MP and don't want to deal with such bullshit there. If you want weapons on an aircraft that never carried them (Sparrows on a USAF F-16C Blk.50), then you can mod them by changing the respective LUA file and enjoy them on your own.

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

Alright, then let's add AMRAAMs to every plane or how about laser weapons? Because it's a SIMULATION!

Because that's not the point of DCS. I fly almost exclusively in MP and don't want to deal with such bullshit there. If you want weapons on an aircraft that never carried them (Sparrows on a USAF F-16C Blk.50), then you can mod them by changing the respective LUA file and enjoy them on your own.

Guys you need to take things with more humour, and yes, I would be happy with such a mod.

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

Guys you need to take things with more humour

I'm German, I don't know anything about humor. ;)

Tornado3 small.jpg

Thank you, that's the whole point of it. It's just a simulator; a game!

So much nittbulls**ing these days.

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

Not always, but if it's realistic. I want a version of the F-16 that actually exists in real life and not some Frankenviper that is a mix of various different (export-) variants...

If we have a frankenviper we’ll need a torches and pitchforks missile to counter the creature.

My guarantee: if my first two bombs don't destroy you, the next one's free

F-16C | FC3 | Persian Gulf

Alright, then let's add AMRAAMs to every plane or how about laser weapons? Well, please not, because it's a SIMULATION!

I say again, dont be silly. We're all adults.

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

I say again, dont be silly. We're all adults.

Oh, so you can make wishes for unrealistic features, but if I make such proposals than it is silly...

Tornado3 small.jpg

Do like adults, create your own wishlist topic if you want to wish something.

Sorry, but the point of a forum is to engage in discussions. Otherwise you could just open a support ticket with ED.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Maybe in the future ED would make specific block of F-16 from 15 to 40 with discounted price after having the original block 50, as an addon I dont mind paying another 10 to 15 bucks for it.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

Maybe in the future ED would make specific block of F-16 from 15 to 40 with discounted price after having the original block 50, as an addon I dont mind paying another 10 to 15 bucks for it.

I think such development wouldn't be trivial. And would cost more than 10 bucks.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I think such development wouldn't be trivial. And would cost more than 10 bucks.
The cost should depend on the complexity I guess. For example, if they want to model Norwegian Viper with Penguin capability it probably could cost us little bit higher price.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

It would depend on the man hours required to complete the project, of which complexity is only part.

An F-16A block 5 would require an entirely different cockpit, HOTAS, FLCS, engine, and radar (to name a few). It shares a lot less with our current Viper than a Block 30 or 40 does, so it would be a lot more work.

And yes, Quigon is obviously right.

For me it's incredible that the hardcore fanboys are expressively against a feature, a realistic feature that is, that would enable people to simulate different eras. Its a simulator after all. For real life restrictions, just join the air force ffs.

I feel the same. Most of the real pilots I know would even enjoy that stuff to play around with.

But it seems the hardcore guys would never let themselfes convince and just don't use the stuff some wish for.

They feel more hardcore than the real pilots sometimes. It's not that you can not stay hardcore but acknowledging a request like that.

The F-16 has grown to one of the most versatile jets out there, yet ED limits its capabilites to ensure it is realisitc.

On the other hand we can fly the F-16 and any other bird in a WW2 Normandy environment with Eurasian skins and unlimited ammo+fuel ?

Or an example for the hardcore guys:

If we had the real Viggens NAV system, we wouldnt be able to fly on NTTR, PG, and on most parts of the other maps.

At least they should aim to deliver features of other nations Block 50 Birds.

Turkish Block 50 CCIP carries SLAM-ER, Singapore Bl.50 carries Harpoon, these are already developed for the Hornet.

I mean, come on, we get the tripple carrier for the maverick...

About the topic, I don't see why AIM-7 and LANTIRN should be no option.

Maybe I wouldnt use them, I have the power to prohibit that as a mission builder. I do build hardcore missions myself...

But why should others not be able to use that armament, which could indeed realisticaly be added to the real birds, if there would have been the need for that stuff.

The USAF and ANG simply did not do it, because they had the whole other rest of the USAF inventory and the NAVY to support US politics...

We don't have all that stuff in DCS.

People like to fly as Norwegian F-16s, or Belgian, or Finish Hornets, or Canadian... and so on...

Edited by Bananabrai

Alias in Discord: Mailman

I feel the same. Most of the real pilots I know would even enjoy that stuff to play around with.

But it seems the hardcore guys would never let themselfes convince and just don't use the stuff some wish for.

They feel more hardcore than the real pilots sometimes. It's not that you can not stay hardcore but acknowledging a request like that.

The F-16 has grown to one of the most versatile jets out there, yet ED limits its capabilites to ensure it is realisitc.

On the other hand we can fly the F-16 and any other bird in a WW2 Normandy environment with Eurasian skins and unlimited ammo+fuel ?

Or an example for the hardcore guys:

If we had the real Viggens NAV system, we wouldnt be able to fly on NTTR, PG, and on most parts of the other maps.

At least they should aim to deliver features of other nations Block 50 Birds.

Turkish Block 50 CCIP carries SLAM-ER, Singapore Bl.50 carries Harpoon, these are already developed for the Hornet.

I mean, come on, we get the tripple carrier for the maverick...

About the topic, I don't see why AIM-7 and LANTIRN should be no option.

Maybe I wouldnt use them, I have the power to prohibit that as a mission builder. I do build hardcore missions myself...

But why should others not be able to use that armament, which could indeed realisticaly be added to the real birds, if there would have been the need for that stuff.

The USAF and ANG simply did not do it, because they had the whole other rest of the USAF inventory and the NAVY to support US politics...

We don't have all that stuff in DCS.

People like to fly as Norwegian F-16s, or Belgian, or Finish Hornets, or Canadian... and so on...

Sure, let's add laser weapons and railguns as well...

On a more serious note: If we would get all this stuff you're talking about on our F-16C Blk50, it would create an absolute Frankenstein Monster. Of course, those features could be added as options and you could just deactivate them if you don't want to, but there are a number of issues with that:

1) If we would get all the various different weapon and systems that you mentioned, which are all being used aorund the world and combine them into a single Frankenstein version of the Viper in DCS, then it would be a real nightmare to figure out how to setup the Viper in order to be realistic to a specific version. What weapons can I use? What systems can I use? Etc...

2) Multiplayer: While you can choose what you want to use in your own missions, you can't do so on MP servers. Of course, the admin can do so, but as a player it will be a nightmare to search for severs that have realistic aircraft configurations. It's already difficult enough to find servers with realistic game settings...

3) Non-self-made missions and campaigns: While you can create your own missions as you like, there are missions and campaigns created by other people, which you might want to fly as well (like DLC campaigns). If there are so many unrealistic options for our Viper (e.g. Sparrows) and if they're getting used in that mission/campaign, you would have to change them first by yourself, which might make the mission unplayable or maybe not even possible in the first place, as it is not possible to edit DLC campaigns.

4) Over time it would eventually change the mindset of the DCS community as a whole, becoming more and more arcady and less focused on a REALISTIC SIMULATION. While some of you might want that to happen, I definitely don't want that.

So, I would like ED to stick to their realistic variants of aircraft with the actual weapons and systems that are being used on that variant IRL. They can do different variant's of a single aircraft, like Heatblur does with the F-14 (A & B). If ED would make an additional ADV variant of the F-16 with Sparrows I'm absolutly fine with that, as it is realistic. A Frankenstein block 50 F-16C with Sparrows would not be!

It's a SIMULATOR after all and a SIMULATOR tries to SIMULATE real stuff! Unfortunately I'm not able to experience the real thing IRL, so I have to rely on the sim to get me as close to that as possible! So I will continue to fight for DCS to deliver this!

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

Sure, let's add laser weapons and railguns as well...

On a more serious note: If we would get all this stuff you're talking about on our F-16C Blk50, it would create an absolute Frankenstein Monster. Of course, those features could be added as options and you could just deactivate them if you don't want to, but there are a number of issues with that:

1) If we would get all the various different weapon and systems that you mentioned, which are all being used aorund the world and combine them into a single Frankenstein version of the Viper in DCS, then it would be a real nightmare to figure out how to setup the Viper in order to be realistic to a specific version. What weapons can I use? What systems can I use? Etc...

2) Multiplayer: While you can choose what you want to use in your own missions, you can't do so on MP servers. Of course, the admin can do so, but as a player it will be a nightmare to search for severs that have realistic aircraft configurations. It's already difficult enough to find servers with realistic game settings...

3) Non-self-made missions and campaigns: While you can create your own missions as you like, there are missions and campaigns created by other people, which you might want to fly as well (like DLC campaigns). If there are so many unrealistic options for our Viper (e.g. Sparrows) and if they're getting used in that mission/campaign, you would have to change them first by yourself, which might make the mission unplayable or maybe not even possible in the first place, as it is not possible to edit DLC campaigns.

4) Over time it would eventually change the mindset of the DCS community as a whole, becoming more and more arcady and less focused on a REALISTIC SIMULATION. While some of you might want that to happen, I definitely don't want that.

So, I would like ED to stick to their realistic variants of aircraft with the actual weapons and systems that are being used on that variant IRL. They can do different variant's of a single aircraft, like Heatblur does with the F-14 (A & B). If ED would make an additional ADV variant of the F-16 with Sparrows I'm absolutly fine with that, as it is realistic. A Frankenstein block 50 F-16C with Sparrows would not be!

It's a SIMULATOR after all and a SIMULATOR tries to SIMULATE real stuff! Unfortunately I'm not able to experience the real thing IRL, so I have to rely on the sim to get me as close to that as possible! So I will continue to fight for DCS to deliver this!

In the end, the problem is that you're afraid that people are going to use it and enjoy it. You're such a child mate.

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

One more thing to consider is that ED is stretched pretty thin as is. What's the point in asking for unrealistic features, when realistic ones (even stuff primary to the jet's mission, like JDAM and HARM) are not in the game yet and won't be for several months at least?

In the end, the problem is that you're afraid that people are going to use it and enjoy it.

Pretty much, yeah, I am indeed afraid that DCS turns into another arcady War Thunder clone and that people would be even enjoying that. So I try to counter this, because DCS would die for me in that case.

Tornado3 small.jpg

In the end, the problem is that you're afraid that people are going to use it and enjoy it. You're such a child mate.

Ok, so let's face simple facts then: ED has stated that will make their modules as realistic as possible. Given that the specific jet variant they are modeling never mounted sparrows, you're not going to get them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda