DCS World copy paste from old ssd to new ssd - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-08-2019, 02:01 PM   #1
mibo

Red face DCS World copy paste from old ssd to new ssd

Hi,
Sorry have looked at forums and on internet and have not found a detailed list of procedures.
Have installed new ssd and wanted to copy and past dcs World from the old ssd (drive F) to the new one). I did the following:
1. Copy and Paste the game from F and installed it to E
2.Opened game folder and looked for the exe file (created a shortcut to put on Desktop. (Path is E).
3.Uninstalled, deleted the old drive F game.
Have not changed Registry but looked at Regedit (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World) there the path shows the old driveF:\Program Files\Eaggle Dynamics\DCS World. But Version REG_SZ 1.5. (Have version 2.5.5.32864
The game page opens but does not load any game. Modules are installed but not active. The page then disappears.
When I want to Repair the Game it says:
The item `DCS_updater.exe` that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved. So this shortcut will no longer work properly.
Do you want to delete this shortcut?
PLEASE HELP AND SOMEONE ON THE FORUM GIVE ME STEP BY STEP THE NEXT POINTS i HAVE TO DO as I do not find a clear solution on the Forum or Internet, but I understood that copy and paste is working and avoids installing the game completely.
Thank you very much
mibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 02:37 PM   #2
Rudel_chw
Veteran

When you installed the new SSD drive, did you kept Windows intact? Or you have installed windows again after the SSD install ?
Rudel_chw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:18 PM   #3
mibo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudel_chw View Post
When you installed the new SSD drive, did you kept Windows intact? Or you have installed windows again after the SSD install ?
Yes window is intact on the F drive. The F drive has a partition one for window 10 and the second for
Dcs world. The second part has been copied and pasted to the new ssd E. The second partition has then been deleted.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:37 PM   #4
SkateZilla
Moderator/ED Testers Team

Copy/Paste will work fine, just update shortcuts.
TM Warthog HOTAS, TM MFDs, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR4 Pro
SkateZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:11 PM   #5
BitMaster
Veteran

Since you deleted the old game's drive, you can ( and should ) label the new SSD with the same drive letter as the former game partition used. That will eliminate all needs to change anything.

Keep it simple
Asus Strix Z370-E - Intel i7-8700K@5G_delidded - 32GB - Asus 1080GTX-Ti Poseidon - 1x 960Evo 250GB - 2x 850Pro 256GB Raid-0 - 1 x 840 Evo 250GB PageFile - 2x Seagate 2TB - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@4x180mm fans - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" WQHD Gsync 144Hz - Oculus Rift VR - Win10Pro64 - Slave to the Machine
BitMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:48 PM   #6
mibo

Thanks to all. Cannot change the letter to F. The old sad had two partitions: the first (C)for the OS window 10. The second (F) for DCS. I deleted the files on F but somehow there are about 9Gb left when I look Disk Management. Cannot detete F letter as somehow the system protects it. It is grayed out. Any help or suggestions?
Old 09-09-2019, 07:23 PM   #7
Svsmokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibo View Post
Thanks to all. Cannot change the letter to F. The old sad had two partitions: the first (C)for the OS window 10. The second (F) for DCS. I deleted the files on F but somehow there are about 9Gb left when I look Disk Management. Cannot detete F letter as somehow the system protects it. It is grayed out. Any help or suggestions?
You illustrate why disk partitions are generally not a good idea . To remove that "F" , you have to format the drive , which will wipe everything on it .

"Hold my beer"
Svsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:27 PM   #8
discwalker

Use carefully the disk management to really delete second partition currently labeled "F:", if no more files needed on it
command line: diskmgmt.msc
You not deleted that partition if "F:" label has 9GB free space and DCS old installation in recycle bin.
Then you can set new ssd label to "F:", and all the icon and registry shortcuts will work.
Then you can create new partition to the old SSDs free space.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:36 PM   #9
mibo

Default Dcs worl copy/paste from old ssd to new ssd

Ok, still no solution. Could wipe out F from old ssd and the remaining 9 Gb; It had a page file. I removed page file and then I could cancel the second partition. It is now named unallocated. Cannot extend the first partition (window 10 OS) as it created by itself a space on the right. Therefore I cannot use the unallocated space for window. I RECOMMEND NOT TO PARTITION DRIVES WHERE THE OS IS !
Game is still not working it does not search for updates and now does not even open. Dos support has given me a list of 11 points to go through. I will try them next weekend. I have even tried to reinstall the game on an other new M2 sad but after installing for 4 seconds it gives me 3 different warnings: 1. Unable to open data base. 2. C\User\Michael2) The system cannot find the file specified. 3. Dcs updates 2.9.4.76 "can't create directory L:\Temp\window 10\TMP\DCS3) the system cannot find the path specified.... No idea what the L path is....
It is worst than the problems Flight Simulator X had.!
Dcs told me to go through all 11 points and if it does not work to reinstall everything related to DCS and make a fresh install. 120Gb.!!! I think I give up, bad internet and only about 12 h of electric energy where I live, (Dominican Republic) (I am Swiss citizen, retired ex mil. Pilot of the milice airforce).
Thanks to all for your replies and never partition an ssd, just fly...and fly...
Old 09-13-2019, 04:52 AM   #10
David OC

Why all the partitions? Never done it. Even on standalone drives....What for? For a large company network / perhaps.

I've done this every PC build not a problem.

No need to make this difficult.

I have dcs backed up on an external drive.

Build new pc or install new drive.

Copy DCS to C: D: F: G: whatever you want.

Copy links (Right click (Send to ---> desktop Create shortcut)) from the bin folder.
DCS.exe or and DCS_Updater.exe
These are the new links to run the game now.

DCS.exe will launch game and not look for updates using this link.

Also backup and copy back the save games folder (Control configs)
C:\Users\Username\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta

You can have as many installs as you like(Copy and paste) anywhere you like as long as you have the room. EACH install will launch from it's own BIN folder links.
you can change any of these installs to any version of DCS using the windows command prompt
or with SkateZilla's tool

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero MB
| ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | 2 X Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | Fractal Design R5 Case

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides
to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Last edited by David OC; 09-13-2019 at 05:04 AM.
David OC is offline   Reply With Quote