Is it technically possible to make base textures better? - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-09-2019, 01:16 AM   #21
KTFBGB

I get you are saying. My personal conclusion is that they got it really close to real life. As close as they could while still maintaining a playable graphics load for the most people possible. I think that if they would have gotten more detail, and fixed all the shading and alignment issues, it would overwhelm a lot of folks systems. Maybe this is a balance struck between the two?

I know that I have a decent system and I can fly helicopters through the skyscrapers in downtown Dubai and abu Dabi at 200 ft. And still get around 50 FPS with everything set at Ultra using 2 monitors. And you probably have a system giving similar results. But a lot of people are not fortunate enough to have a system like that and I think ED does a good job trying to make it playable for those folks. Maybe with Vulcan someday, the new maps wont have to compromise. This will make high resolution high frame rate more available to more people. A RX 580 8GB would be enough on Vulcan. I know with my RX5700 I get fur mark to bench at around 60 FPS on DX and like 140 on Vulcan. It will be a great day if they go to this. A RX 580 and a I7 9700K is all you would need to push 1480P.
KTFBGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 07:37 AM   #22
draconus

There's no point in making excuses. Gierasimov's examples are valid. In short the answer is: No, there is no technical limitation to make it better. Only the money is. Imho they should at least connect the roads and blend the textures a bit in lower fidelity areas. Fixing it certainly wouldn't hit the performance. They agreed on some quality level and should make it consistent in all places.

With all that said buying the map you should take it as is. Nobody claims it is done 1:1 with the real images. If you think it's a bug just report one in the right subforum.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:27 AM   #23
Gierasimov

Quote:
With all that said buying the map you should take it as is. Nobody claims it is done 1:1 with the real images. If you think it's a bug just report one in the right subforum
As I said already, this isn't a bug to me, but rather compromise of resources vs. quality, if any other section, it would be in the wishlist.

I also don't expect this to be fixed, I would simply enjoy the next map benefiting from better blending of map layers.

Thanks for all of your input!
Gierasimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 04:16 PM   #24
Ala13_ManOWar

No, that's not a bug, it's a request for better graphics quality outside the detailed area which are the limits to make it playable for the majority, so that's related to performances.

And yes, that's for the wishlist section, not bugs section unless you find a real bug.

S!
Old 09-09-2019, 05:13 PM   #25
Gierasimov

More like asking for technical EDGE insight. I would not call Bandar Abbas or Khasab outside of detailed area. That's not the point anyway.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:13 PM   #26
Baco

Show me a better combat sim map ....

And no photo realistic looks like shit on a combat sim, you need 3d objects not juts photos on the floor.... The 1 thing I really could not stand about Falcon was the "photo realistic" terrain... anything below 1000 feet was rubbish...
Baco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:58 PM   #27
Gierasimov

In that regard Baco, the Caucasus map is much better, with nicer greens blending.
I never said I wanted photos as textures as I think alike about it.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:52 AM   #28
OttoPus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco View Post
Show me a better combat sim map ....

And no photo realistic looks like shit on a combat sim, you need 3d objects not juts photos on the floor.... The 1 thing I really could not stand about Falcon was the "photo realistic" terrain... anything below 1000 feet was rubbish...
ED stated several times that their ambition is not doing better or same than other combat sims, but their ambition is to model real life.

This line of thinking of course reflects on customers ambitions, and that's fair to me.
OttoPus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:51 PM   #29
Ala13_ManOWar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gierasimov View Post
More like asking for technical EDGE insight. I would not call Bandar Abbas or Khasab outside of detailed area. That's not the point anyway.
IIRC those two cities were added almost at the end of development as an extra, weren't they? I can't remember now were those cities are in the map TBH so I won't claim they are exactly at the edges of the map (detailed area of course, not whole map) or not right now but something of that may come as flashes to my memory.

S!
Old 09-10-2019, 07:43 PM   #30
Baco

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttoPus View Post
ED stated several times that their ambition is not doing better or same than other combat sims, but their ambition is to model real life.

This line of thinking of course reflects on customers ambitions, and that's fair to me.
Oh I see.
Well customers can be as ambitious as they want, but then you have to come back to reality or hire a custom designer to build you a sim on your own Cray computer

So to answer the P.O.s question: yes for 60 bucks this is the best you can get.
Is it technically possible to do better, Well i guess so...
Financially posible? not for the average consumer product client .

p.s. You most definitely can not simulate reality in a personal Computer running on Windows.
Baco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
map textures