Side stick vs Centre stick... - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-30-2019, 11:49 AM   #11
Nooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano87 View Post
I don’t know where you get this info. But it’s incorrect. The F-16 stick input are based around force not stick movement. The stick does move a small amount, but that is more of a byproduct of the force being applied then anything else.
Yes I know, that's what I meant. Sorry I guess I worded my message poorly.
Nooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:51 PM   #12
Wags
ED Team

I'm not being paid for this, but I do recommend the FSSB by Realsimulator. After time in an F-16C Full Mission Trainer (FMT), the FSSB feels just like the real thing.

Thanks
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 03:29 PM   #13
Gierasimov

Question Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
I'm not being paid for this, but I do recommend the FSSB by Realsimulator. After time in an F-16C Full Mission Trainer (FMT), the FSSB feels just like the real thing.

Thanks
Hi Wags,

Is this the thing you are talking about?

http://www.realsimulator.com/html/fssb_r3_lighting.html

FSSB R3 Lighting
Gierasimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 03:32 PM   #14
Wags
ED Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gierasimov View Post
Hi Wags,

Is this the thing you are talking about?

http://www.realsimulator.com/html/fssb_r3_lighting.html

FSSB R3 Lighting
Yes
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 04:33 PM   #15
Supmua

Default Side stick vs Centre stick...

I can’t say enough good things about the FSSB R3 base. If you want a force sensing base for joystick, this is the one. It uses the same connection socket as Thrustmaster and Virpil, so widespread compatibility with different joysticks is a plus.

Their new F-16 stick is also excellent. The hardware is top notched and is my current favorite stick. The only negative right now is the Bluetooth connection which is very picky and requires specific dongles to work flawlessly, but they’re making it such that users won’t need Bluetooth for full operation in the near future. The software side is still evolving and will need some more fine tuning, but will be fairly intuitive and powerful in the end.
Throttles: TMWx2
VR: HTC Vive/Pro/Oculus Rift/Valve Index.

Last edited by Supmua; 08-30-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Supmua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:12 PM   #16
Alicatt

Quote:

Thanks
Having tested their products in 2003, and even featured on their website with using their rudder pedals back then, I agree, they are excellent quality.

That is one evening I will not forget in a hurry, with the team from Real Simulator and a few of us from Frugal's Forums, including Mark, getting the lowdown on what they were making.
Old 08-31-2019, 02:04 AM   #17
Creature_1stVFW

Quote:

Thanks
+1
Old 08-31-2019, 02:15 AM   #18
Smoked

Quote:

Thanks
100% agree.... I have been using one for about a month now and it is simply awesome. So looking foreword to the Viper and using this setup...
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:35 AM   #19
Sierra99
Campaign Testers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano87 View Post
I don’t know where you get this info. But it’s incorrect. The F-16 stick input are based around force not stick movement. The stick does move a small amount, but that is more of a byproduct of the force being applied then anything else.
It’s not a byproduct of the force being applied. It is designed to move a specific amount.

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog, Cougar MFDs x3, Thrustmaster T.Flight Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.
Sierra99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:48 AM   #20
bbrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBS View Post
..didn’t realise the F16 was a side stick confit as opposed to centre ... would be interested to hear what the design/ergonomic/hmi benefits of the different configurations are - why is the f18 centre and f16 side?
I've flown planes with side and center sticks IRL and you get used to both versions very quickly.

In one of the most interesting books about the F/A-18 (and highly recommended), Hornet, the inside story of the F/A-18 by Orr Kelly, he mentions that they decided for the center stick because you can turn further to the left than with the stick mounted on the right side.
AFAIR that's one of the reasons for the towel racks in the F-16.

Btw, FBW doesn't have anything to do with it. The oldest plane with a side stick I flew was a simply GA plane which had been designed in the late 1950s.
bbrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
centre, hotas, question, side