New RTX 2080, very poor performance - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-16-2019, 06:31 AM   #21
VampireNZ

Have you tried some different power connectors from your power supply - you should have a few you can use.
But yea that 0mV is bad news - possibly a dud card. Just RMA it for a new replacement one. There has been a lot of news about the 20 series of cards crapping out, but mostly due to dud GDDR6 memory.

Last edited by VampireNZ; 07-16-2019 at 06:33 AM.
VampireNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:53 AM   #22
petsild

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisofsweden View Post
Thanks all for the tips. However seems like something might be wrong with the card. It never adjust GPU clock speed to above 300Mhz, which means the card is performing just 20% of min capacity (1500Mhz) or 17% of max capacity (1710Mhz). My first thought after discovering this was that maybe one of the PCIe power connectors wasn't connected properly, but I've checked and double checked and they're connected properly.
Very strange your graphics works for 2D frequency. It shows 0 mV is fine, the condition is unlock voltage monitoring, I'd now rather not do that.

Show more: dxdiag.txt?
Old 07-16-2019, 07:07 AM   #23
Wexler

Start with BIOS. (press DEL at computer start-up). Dont change anything you dont understand and don´t forget to save settings. Maybe you discover something here.

Also what is your PSU (Power supply - wattage) ? And are you sure you can manage cooling of the beast? This behaviour I have mostly seen when cooling wasnt enough. Check ventilators, Vacuum the case etc. In your case I would say problem with PSU, maybe non-functional cabels, or jsut too low wattage?

Last edited by Wexler; 07-16-2019 at 07:13 AM.
Wexler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:09 AM   #24
chrisofsweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evader View Post
Try running the OC (Overclock Scan in the upper left of MSI Afterburner. I just now replaced my MSI 1080 Sea Hawk with a MSI 2080Ti Sea Hawk, both water cooled. My FPS may not seem very high but I run high settings and resolution of 3440x2040, I have two Lillputs for MFD's, main monitor is 3440x1440. Happy with a 50% increase!

Frames Time ms Min Max Avg FPS
3045, 120000, 18, 34, 25.375 MSI 1080

4542, 120000, 17, 47, 37.850 MSI 2080Ti
Yeah, I'm getting 29FPS in a simple free flight mission running mid gfx settings on a single 1080P output. Where my old GTX 980 would give me 60-70 FPS.
chrisofsweden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:11 AM   #25
chrisofsweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsild View Post
Very strange your graphics works for 2D frequency. It shows 0 mV is fine, the condition is unlock voltage monitoring, I'd now rather not do that.

Show more: dxdiag.txt?
Yeah I found that late last night and tried it and the voltage meter showed proper values. Problem still persists though.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:14 AM   #26
chrisofsweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wexler View Post
Start with BIOS. (press DEL at computer start-up). Dont change anything you dont understand and don´t forget to save settings. Maybe you discover something here.

Also what is your PSU (Power supply - wattage) ? And are you sure you can manage cooling of the beast?
There's really not much to change in the BIOS regarding the GPU, basically just the "first display adapter" which is set to PCIe and not iGPU.

The PSU is a 750W, so should be enough. Since the card only running at 300Mhz, temps don't go up by more than a few degrees C while in game.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:16 AM   #27
chrisofsweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampireNZ View Post
Have you tried some different power connectors from your power supply - you should have a few you can use.
But yea that 0mV is bad news - possibly a dud card. Just RMA it for a new replacement one. There has been a lot of news about the 20 series of cards crapping out, but mostly due to dud GDDR6 memory.
The 0 mV was just a MSI Afterburner setting thing. Still, yeah, while troubleshooting and googling I've come to understand there's been some problems with the series.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:18 AM   #28
Wexler

Quote:
The PSU is a 750W, so should be enough. Since the card only running at 300Mhz, temps don't go up by more than a few degrees C while in game.
Do you have the power-in to graphic from Two dedicated cords ? I feel like one is malfunctioning, because that behaviour I would expect. The graphic should go on without power at all but only in such state that it merely output video. (I may not be correct with that one, but GPUs with one externail power in were like this)

So far you did:

1) removed old drivers, installed new
2) Checked the BIOS (preference to PCIE card set, What about PCIE BUS? 4x / 8x / 16x)
3) Checked connection of the cables (I think that there is malfunction in one - I suggest to start the graphic withhout cables, with one, and than another to rule out malfunction of cable)

I wouuld do next in your situation

1) Look deeply into driver settings for performance eco systems etc. Same with windows
2) Check the cables as I suggested
3) Chech for newest firmware on my motherboard and firmware it (set-up the bios again)
4) Update the motherboard drivers
5) Send here exactly what components you have your computer composed of.
6) Check the graphic in different computer - or get it checked in specialized shop
7) Blame myself to not be able to solve it alone or be happy to progress it for return for working one.

Last edited by Wexler; 07-16-2019 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:41 AM   #29
chrisofsweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wexler View Post
Do you have the power-in to graphic from Two dedicated cords ? I feel like one is malfunctioning, because that behaviour I would expect. The graphic should go on without power at all but only in such state that it merely output video. (I may not be correct with that one, but GPUs with one externail power in were like this)

So far you did:

1) removed old drivers, installed new
2) Checked the BIOS (preference to PCIE card set, What about PCIE BUS? 4x / 8x / 16x)
3) Checked connection of the cables (I think that there is malfunction in one - I suggest to start the graphic withhout cables, with one, and than another to rule out malfunction of cable)

I wouuld do next in your situation

1) Look deeply into driver settings for performance eco systems etc. Same with windows
2) Check the cables as I suggested
3) Chech for newest firmware on my motherboard and firmware it
4) Update the motherboard drivers
5) Send here exactly what components you have your computer composed of.
6) Check the graphic in different computer - or get it checked in specialized shop
7) Blame myself to not be able to solve it alone or be happy to progress it for return for working one.

Yeah. I'll test the thing to start up with only one PCIe power cord connected. I think I forgot on of those once back in the day and iirc the computer did not start at all (or gave a few beeps and no display at all) but I'll test that none the less.

I want to test it in another computer, but I dont have another gaming rig. And I don't think my friend is too keen on testing it in his PC, so to not start having driver issues and stuff himself..

Honestly, I don't see how much can be wrong with the computer, as my old GTX 980 performed well to this day, (better than this new 2080). And, that card also requires both PCIe Power connectors to be connected so they both SHOULD be working :/
Old 07-16-2019, 07:46 AM   #30
Wexler

Quote:
Honestly, I don't see how much can be wrong with the computer, as my old GTX 980 performed well to this day, (better than this new 2080). And, that card also requires both PCIe Power connectors to be connected so they both SHOULD be working :/
You got me with that one. But nothing lasts forever, you can check. I would then bet my best chance on the firmware and updates of motherboard, as 2080 is exactly the graphic that did not exist in the age of your motherboard i guess.

EDIT: And the golden rule - Read the manual (FAQ, Troubleshoting) even on website. I solved my problem with Oculus Rift S tracking lose when i read up on motherboard FAQ which thing to disable in bios.

Last edited by Wexler; 07-16-2019 at 07:50 AM.