F/A-18C Hornet | Audio Production / Overhaul - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-20-2018, 02:55 AM   #21
I_Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananimal View Post
Oh my! Do these sounds sound good! This is a must install. Thanks for the effort.

Update: I do have one issue I've found. When the aircraft is coming towards me in external view, I get a whisk, whisk, whisk sound that increases in looping cycles as the speed of the aircraft increases. It's even worse in Moltar's pack. Getting ready to do a repair to see if that will resolve the issue.

Update: Clean repair does not resolve the issue. Their is also turbine whine that is too high pitched that cycles up and down with the whisking sound. Once the aircraft gets close enough to the camera, it all goes away and the sounds sound like they should. Hoping I'm not the only one experiencing this so we can find out what the cause is. I'm going to start digging into the files to see if I can identify the sound file that has the issue.

Listened to the Whistle2.ogg and it cycles up and down. I have to wonder if that's not the file being played back at a much higher pitch/speed when the aircraft is approaching. The other suspect sound is the Distant_Flyby_Noise.ogg as it has the same pitch sound quality of the whisk, whisk sound I'm hearing. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

As far as the “whisk” noise you’re hearing, I can look into that, as that’s not a normal behavior you should be experiencing. I’m not sure how you’re hearing the Whistle2 sound, unless you’re flying very fast and in F2. It is supposed to be a flyby effect.

I should also point out that you’ll have a far better result with this mod while using a F3, and F11 camera modes.

Thanks for the report!

Edit: The Whistle2 ogg doesn't play in-game anymore, it was replaced by a flyby effect. The howl sound I implemented replaced it. I think you're hearing an artifact caused by reducing the level of "noise" from the aircraft, since it was cleaned up quite a bit. Nonetheless, it still shouldn't sound this way and will be looking into it further.

Last edited by I_Gamer; 10-20-2018 at 03:12 AM.
I_Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:15 AM   #22
Bananimal

I am in flyby mode when this happens. I pulled the whistle2 sound from the folder and tested and the cyclic up and down pitching noise goes away. So that is part of it. But, the Whisk Whisk is still there. So I pulled the Distant_Flyby_Noise.ogg and tested again, and most, but not all of the whisking goes away. I get two whisks just before the aircraft passes. With the file in the folder, I get 5 whisks before the aircraft passed. Once I get over 450 kts, it's playing so fast you hear it for a split second. But, it's the worst at 250 knots -450 kts.
Bananimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:26 AM   #23
I_Gamer

Quote:
I am in flyby mode when this happens. I pulled the whistle2 sound from the folder and tested and the cyclic up and down pitching noise goes away. So that is part of it. But, the Whisk Whisk is still there. So I pulled the Distant_Flyby_Noise.ogg and tested again, and most, but not all of the whisking goes away. I get two whisks just before the aircraft passes. With the file in the folder, I get 5 whisks before the aircraft passed. Once I get over 450 kts, it's playing so fast you hear it for a split second. But, it's the worst at 250 knots -450 kts.
Be sure you're installing the mod correctly - the game no longer should be using the "Whistle2" sound. Check the SDEF file associated with the Whistle2 and make sure it is pointing to a different audio file.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:34 AM   #24
Bananimal

It's pointing to whistle.ogg. So you are correct, whistle2.ogg is not being used. The whisk whisk still persists though. I wonder why it is worse in Moltar's Sound mod. That's peculiar.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:47 AM   #25
maks

Dear Bananimal , I gamer ,

Your are not alone , i have the issue myself....

brgds Maks
maks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 01:02 PM   #26
Bananimal

Fooled around with this a bit more last night. I noticed that when I install the mod stand-alone, the issue is reduced significantly, although it is still there. If I install Moltar's Mod, the whistling becomes more pronounced in the whisk whisk looping. Very strange indeed.

Last edited by Bananimal; 10-20-2018 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:08 PM   #27
I_Gamer

Quote:
Fooled around with this a bit more last night. I noticed that when I install the mod stand-alone, the issue is reduced significantly, although it is still there. If I install Moltar's Mod, the whistling becomes more pronounced in the whisk whisk looping. Very strange indeed.
Alright, yes that is strange. I’ll look into this.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:17 PM   #28
Bananimal

Looking in Moltar's Mod, he's got 20 more files for the F-18 than what are in your mod. He also has duplicate wav files for some of the OGG files you have. If I remember correctly, the sim will read a WAV file before it reads an OGG file?

Afterburner.wav - Totally different sound
Distant_Around.wav - Much louder than yours.

There is also the Whistle.ogg there as well which sounds the same as the default but is a bigger fie in size.

Then he's got what appears to be a bunch of the default sounds in the folder as well. Definitely not a duplicate of your mod.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:27 PM   #29
Thudster

Nice job team! The externals sound great, are what you would expect and the quality is top notch.
I'm looking forward to more from this team. Hopefully, internals and peripheral sounds are on the way!

Joint Task Force 1 | Discord
Thudster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:04 PM   #30
icemaker

Tested and approved!
The best sound i have herard for the F/A-18C!

Congratulations I_Gamer!
icemaker is offline   Reply With Quote