LF advice on HOT-3 optimum firing range - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-28-2019, 03:10 PM   #21
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by borchi_2b View Post
Well in RL tank crews would engage you with thier guns if they spot you hover somewhere in thier range. My cousin was driving Leopard 2 A6 and he talked about what they learned in theory and in trainings. So no ATGMs needed.
Well in RL, and I do a fair bit about tanks so I can confidently speak to what those guys would do:

#1 The TC would get on the radio and report the helicopters position to higher and nearby units, who would alert ADA in the area and get someone else to kill them. Like that guy in the Bradley 200m to your right with the stinger would be a really good choice since thats his job, and the stinger has pretty good PK against helos at longer range. Or also possibly friendly air hanging out nearby.

#2 The TC would be really really wondering if you saw him, and if the decision was no, he would absolutely not **** with Mr tank killer helicopter, especially one at near max range where the PH is low.

#3 He would also be looking for a place to hide since he knows spotting tanks from the air isn't really all that easy. Hey Driver back up 10 more feet into the treeline. (I will also add that tank placement and whatever AI DCS uses for that is pretty bad, tanks don't sit in the open like I often see on the aeroquake servers)

#4 Yup, last choice is to actually engage Mr Tank Killer helo at near max range where you are more likely to draw attention to your tank than to actually kill the helo. Now its a different proposition, if he's at close range where you have a much better chance of hitting him, but still you are gonna run through options 1-3 pretty quick.

Last edited by Harlikwin; 06-28-2019 at 03:24 PM.
Harlikwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:17 PM   #22
Harlikwin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudikoff View Post
T-55M/AM from early 80's have Bastion ATGM's fitted among other upgrades. Since they are guided, they are obviously more precise than the SABOT rounds at long range and being used against attack helicopters which outrange your relatively imprecise guns is only logical. But, with the limited optics magnification, I'm not sure what would be the effective range for engaging helicopters and also spotting them.

And then there's also the issue of superior AI spotting, reaction time and precision in DCS, I guess. Didn't really try it for some time, but I remember in that A-10A instant mission, those BMP-2's were much more deadly than Shilkas which made absolutely no sense.
Ah I didn't realize we had updated T-55's in DCS. The ones that killed me in the gaz did it from 4000m with a 105mm sabot shot (pro tip, DCS, its a 100mm gun, unless its an israeli modded T55). And yes the tube launched ATGM's soviet tanks use is because they are more precise at long range than sabot or HEAT rounds. But at the max range of those ATGM's they aren't particularly precise, tracking a moving target at long range isn't all that easy and helos burble about alot in all 3 dimensions, if you can even spot them at long range. Plus all it takes to miss is for the helo to see the missile and jink at the last second.

Yeah, I think the DCS tactical ground AI really needs an overhaul. For all the reasons you mentioned and more, like the actual damage model doesn't even cover the difference between conventional, reactive armor and composite armor, or the fact side/rear shots with ATGM's should be instant kills, not this weird smoke for 5 minutes and then blow up shit.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:06 AM   #23
jimiC

The issue isn't so much the ai engage you. Its that they are guaranteed to spot you if you are so much as 1m out of cover. The realism of spotting is just not modelled for ai. Which is incredible for a sim that started with an attack chopper over 10 years ago

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
jimiC is offline   Reply With Quote