Using OvGME to apply & manage Mods - Page 6 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-22-2019, 07:25 PM   #51
Rudel_chw
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebert View Post
Ok, Thanks. I will post on the mods thread.
DB

Yes, I saw it there .. I actually had meant that specific Mod's thread (if it had any ... most good mods do have a thread for support) ... what is exactly the Mod you are trying to install?
Rudel_chw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:36 PM   #52
davebert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudel_chw View Post
Yes, I saw it there .. I actually had meant that specific Mod's thread (if it had any ... most good mods do have a thread for support) ... what is exactly the Mod you are trying to install?

It is the FA-18C_Clear_HUD_Glass mod. It is just a couple of texture files that is supposed to clear up the view through the hud. I was worried about the Integrity Check on multiplayer etc...
DB
davebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:13 PM   #53
davebert

Followup: I looked but could not find where he got the file (he thought it was user files in downloads) so I searched the forum and found it. I tried to download the file to verify it was the same one but that file is no longer available. But while further reading the thread people were saying it no longer worked anyhow. So I read the rest of the thread and found a few more to try that go into the saved games folder too.

link:https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=212409
Old 09-14-2019, 05:06 PM   #54
davebert

Eduardo,
Think you could do me a favor and see if you can get this mod to work? It is from 2016 and I thought I read somewhere that people making mods had to recompile them with a newer version of some program?? EDM files or something
? Anyhow, here are the links. One is the original and one is with the sound fixed.

Thanks,
DB

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.c...files/1824104/

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.c...files/1827354/
Old 09-14-2019, 05:21 PM   #55
Morpheus

When problem comes from 3D files, only author who has the original files can update them with new plugin

DCS Virtual Breitling Jet Team Flight Lead
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 05:35 PM   #56
davebert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
When problem comes from 3D files, only author who has the original files can update them with new plugin

Yeah, that is what I was thinking as I had read some time ago about having to re-save or recompile broken mods and that would have to be done by the original maker. So is there an approximate year or date that the models or mods will no longer work unless updated by the author? It seems skins are not affected by this problem because they as 2d??
Thanks,
DB

Last edited by davebert; 09-14-2019 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:21 PM   #57
Rudel_chw
Veteran

Quote:
Think you could do me a favor and see if you can get this mod to work? It is from 2016 and I thought I read somewhere that people making mods had to recompile them with a newer version of some program?? EDM files or something
Hello,

Correct, the Bismarck Mod is obsolete, it only works with DCS 2.5.4 or earlier. These are the ship Mods that I've tested and found obsolete:

Quote:
So is there an approximate year or date that the models or mods will no longer work unless updated by the author?
It isnt possible to set a date, as there are many older Mods that did use the newer version of the EDM plugin or that have been updated recently.

Quote:
It seems skins are not affected by this problem because they as 2d??
Liveries are not actually Mods in the true sense of the term, as DCS is designed to easily accept liveries made by users.

The Mods that no longer work are those that make use of 3D objects, say a new aircraft or vehicle, and were created with and older version of the EDM plugin.

Best regards
Old 09-14-2019, 07:54 PM   #58
davebert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudel_chw View Post
Hello,

Correct, the Bismarck Mod is obsolete, it only works with DCS 2.5.4 or earlier. These are the ship Mods that I've tested and found obsolete:

It isnt possible to set a date, as there are many older Mods that did use the newer version of the EDM plugin or that have been updated recently.

Liveries are not actually Mods in the true sense of the term, as DCS is designed to easily accept liveries made by users.

The Mods that no longer work are those that make use of 3D objects, say a new aircraft or vehicle, and were created with and older version of the EDM plugin.

Best regards

Thank you Eduardo for a full and professionally explained answer. And thanks for the list of obsolete and confirmed not working ships.

DB
Old 09-14-2019, 08:37 PM   #59
Rudel_chw
Veteran

Quote:
... thanks for the list of obsolete and confirmed not working ships.
I couldnt bring myself to delete my old Mods, instead I tested them and those that didnt work I placed on this "boneyard" folder ... probably will end up deleting them, but for now they serve me as a reminder of how many interesting Mods we lost

Fortunately, the Modders keep working and I hope that some of them will be updated .. for now the fans of the IJN have updated quite a few:

I havent yet used them on any real mission yet because we are lacking japanese naval WW2 planes, but hopefully that will change soon

Best regards.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:54 PM   #60
davebert

Those Japanese Navy ships look pretty good. I may have to try them when I need some big ships in a mission. And I like the idea that you kept the obsolete mods as that info is valuable and can save others a lot of time.

Thanks

Tags
ovgme