F-16 A, B, C, MLU - Page 128 - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2019, 05:11 PM   #1271
Wizard_03
Member
 
Wizard_03's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 761
Default

I have an F-16 question maybe you experts can answer.

I heard from a a buddy of mine that the USAF no longer or at least doesn't like too wingtip mount the AMRAAM anymore on current block 50/52s Something about the increased weight of the ordnance compared to the Aim9 causing accelerated stress on the wings..is that a myth or is that a RL current practice?

Also is 9X seeker limited in its FOV when it’s NOT on the wingtip as in the hornet?
__________________
DCS F/A-18C

Last edited by Wizard_03; 04-28-2019 at 05:15 PM.
Wizard_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:42 PM   #1272
mvsgas
Veteran
 
mvsgas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 8,296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard_03 View Post
I heard from a a buddy of mine that the USAF no longer or at least doesn't like too wingtip mount the AMRAAM anymore on current block 50/52s Something about the increased weight of the ordnance compared to the Aim9 causing accelerated stress on the wings..is that a myth or is that a RL current practice?
Based on the fact that almost every video or photo of the USAF F-16 in the last 10 years shows it carrying a CATM-120/AIM-120 on the wingtip, I say that is a myth.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard_03 View Post
Also is 9X seeker limited in its FOV when it’s NOT on the wingtip as in the hornet?
I do not know any weapons capabilities or limitations.
__________________
Quote:
Q:The internet says...
A:The internet is wrong.
EvilBivol-1

CPU=AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Mo/Bo= Gygabite X570 AORUS Elite, Memory Corsair vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 32gb, 500g Samsung 970 evo pro, WD blue 3D NAND 2 TB SATA III, video card=Gigabyte RTX 2070, 8gb gddr 6, EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+, Cooler Master NR600 Masterbox, Joystick=Thrustmaster T-flight Stick X, Track IR, Win10 64
mvsgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:55 PM   #1273
Wizard_03
Member
 
Wizard_03's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvsgas View Post
Based on the fact that almost every video or photo of the USAF F-16 in the last 10 years shows it carrying a CATM-120/AIM-120 on the wingtip, I say that is a myth.
Oh ok thanks. He did make it seem like a recent thing, but yeah seems like a very common configuration. Is there some advantage to having it on the tip as opposed to on the wing stations?
__________________
DCS F/A-18C
Wizard_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:10 PM   #1274
mvsgas
Veteran
 
mvsgas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 8,296
Default

I have not seen the reason on any manual.

The net reasons typically goes around the flutter, example:
http://www.f-16.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20308
__________________
Quote:
Q:The internet says...
A:The internet is wrong.
EvilBivol-1

CPU=AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Mo/Bo= Gygabite X570 AORUS Elite, Memory Corsair vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 32gb, 500g Samsung 970 evo pro, WD blue 3D NAND 2 TB SATA III, video card=Gigabyte RTX 2070, 8gb gddr 6, EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+, Cooler Master NR600 Masterbox, Joystick=Thrustmaster T-flight Stick X, Track IR, Win10 64
mvsgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:44 AM   #1275
ShadowXP
Member
 
ShadowXP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Larvik, Norway
Posts: 702
Default

We were told that having the 120's on station 1 and 9 eased wear on the wing attachment-bolts and fittings due to less fluttering. Of course, every time we had to hoist the 120's onto the wingtips, it ment offloading the cAIM9 and/or AMA and move them to 2 and 8. Doesn't take long, but it's a bit of a bitch, especially if you have to do a reconfigure between flightperiods.

Was fun watching the Weapon-crew sweat, though, heh.
__________________
Regards
ShadowXP
Clustermunitions is just another way of saying that you don't like someone.
ShadowXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:50 PM   #1276
Wizard_03
Member
 
Wizard_03's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvsgas View Post
I have not seen the reason on any manual.

The net reasons typically goes around the flutter, example:
http://www.f-16.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20308
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowXP View Post
We were told that having the 120's on station 1 and 9 eased wear on the wing attachment-bolts and fittings due to less fluttering. Of course, every time we had to hoist the 120's onto the wingtips, it ment offloading the cAIM9 and/or AMA and move them to 2 and 8. Doesn't take long, but it's a bit of a bitch, especially if you have to do a reconfigure between flightperiods.

Was fun watching the Weapon-crew sweat, though, heh.
I see, heavy weapon = less flutter. Makes sense, in fact come to think of it I don’t think I’ve ever seen an F-16 in flight with empty wingtip stations. Haha yeah I bet they love doing that.

Thanks for setting me straight.
__________________
DCS F/A-18C
Wizard_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:54 PM   #1277
Cupra
Member
 
Cupra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 323
Default

Somewhere I read that with AIM-120 on wingtips instead of AIM-9 there is less drag in flying…
__________________
DCS F-16C 40/42
Cupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:58 PM   #1278
mvsgas
Veteran
 
mvsgas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 8,296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard_03 View Post
I see, heavy weapon = less flutter. Makes sense, in fact come to think of it I don’t think I’ve ever seen an F-16 in flight with empty wingtip stations. Haha yeah I bet they love doing that.

Thanks for setting me straight.
In the last few years, I have only seen display /demo flight without weapons on station 1 and 9. The missile rail has to be carried in flight.
__________________
Quote:
Q:The internet says...
A:The internet is wrong.
EvilBivol-1

CPU=AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Mo/Bo= Gygabite X570 AORUS Elite, Memory Corsair vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 32gb, 500g Samsung 970 evo pro, WD blue 3D NAND 2 TB SATA III, video card=Gigabyte RTX 2070, 8gb gddr 6, EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+, Cooler Master NR600 Masterbox, Joystick=Thrustmaster T-flight Stick X, Track IR, Win10 64
mvsgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 04:57 AM   #1279
mvsgas
Veteran
 
mvsgas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 8,296
Default

__________________
Quote:
Q:The internet says...
A:The internet is wrong.
EvilBivol-1

CPU=AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Mo/Bo= Gygabite X570 AORUS Elite, Memory Corsair vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 32gb, 500g Samsung 970 evo pro, WD blue 3D NAND 2 TB SATA III, video card=Gigabyte RTX 2070, 8gb gddr 6, EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+, Cooler Master NR600 Masterbox, Joystick=Thrustmaster T-flight Stick X, Track IR, Win10 64
mvsgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:29 PM   #1280
mvsgas
Veteran
 
mvsgas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 8,296
Default

__________________
Quote:
Q:The internet says...
A:The internet is wrong.
EvilBivol-1

CPU=AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Mo/Bo= Gygabite X570 AORUS Elite, Memory Corsair vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 32gb, 500g Samsung 970 evo pro, WD blue 3D NAND 2 TB SATA III, video card=Gigabyte RTX 2070, 8gb gddr 6, EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+, Cooler Master NR600 Masterbox, Joystick=Thrustmaster T-flight Stick X, Track IR, Win10 64
mvsgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:08 PM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.