Is it technically possible to make base textures better? - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-12-2019, 07:08 AM   #41
draconus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco View Post
But then again ED doesn´t do only maps, so how much time can you pay people to fiddle with a product that sells for only 60 bucks if not on sale....
ED maps team does only that.

Let's look again at first image here:
https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...81&postcount=7

It's a failure. Either don't put any texture there or make it right if you do. No point in defending it.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:03 AM   #42
davidtsw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco View Post
Yeap, beautiful map!
Too bad they had to scratch the whole engine because it just didn´t RUN... (another venture I supported with my wallet and left me hanging LOL)

And now we have Battle series, While COD has been discarded No Photo realistic tiles there.. Gorgeous maps tho, but much less populated and fewer polys, and buildings... not to mention smaller...

P.S. By the way I Payed Cliffs of Dover over 70 bucks back in the day.....so the 10 dollars argument is rubish, its a discarded game with so many bugs that they had to discard the whole engine... and yes some of us Il-2 boys payed 60 or 70 bucks for it....
I don't what did or didn't run and how much it was back in the day.

What I do know is that right now I'm flying over a very detailed and realistic map of southern England, northern France and Belgium I got for $10 that is bigger and better in every single way than the $50 joke of a map ED calls Normandy. I don't see the point in defending a shitty product honestly. It's not like we're this or that sim's supporters. We're paying customers. Unrealistic expectations is one thing. Decent texture blending in a map they sell for $50 is a must and I'm glad I saw these shots cause I was going to buy PG.

Edit: I think I made it clear in my original post I was talking about the Blitz Edition of CoD. Never played the original one and so don't care what it was like back then. Now it looks and runs good.
davidtsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:53 AM   #43
Gierasimov

Please, let's keep it simple and discuss DCS only. There are rules as you may know.

I hope that this statement is something that ED considers important --

Quote:
With the advancements in our terrain technology and the ability to create much more detailed low-altitude environments, the HIND will be a joy to fly.
Source: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...&postcount=177 [DCS Mi-24P Hind]
Gierasimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:14 PM   #44
Grimes
ED Testers Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gierasimov View Post
I hope that this statement is something that ED considers important --

Source: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...&postcount=177 [DCS Mi-24P Hind]
They probably think the current iteration fits that definition, and frankly I'd agree with that thought. Go to F11 freeview and take screenshots from low altitude to ground level. It'll look pretty damn decent and comparable to moderately old FPS games, which is insane considering this is a flight sim. However that doesn't mean there aren't issues with tiling, improvements to be made be made, or there are problem areas.

Unfortunately there will always be a point when work transitions from one map to another and the only hope for fixing issues like this is whenever the team decides to go back and update an existing map or make sure it gets fixed while they are actively working on it.
Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 01:20 PM   #45
sc_neo

Actually, better ground fidelity is on the top of my wishlist, even before better weather and clouds.

And i feel the problem is less with the effort invested into blending of ground textures, but a lack of engine tech. If we look at the handful of current space games that have been in development over the last 6-7 years, all invested heavily into procedural generation of planetary ground surface tech. And without such a procedural tech that creates uneven, rough, high fidelty ground surfaces that through various blending techniques fit to the overall real-world sattelite images.

Caucasus 2.5 is very nice and a great improvment over the 1.5, and although the ground mesh is much improved, it still is very much on the level of early 2000ish fps games. The texures ain't bad, but it is still flat squares with a bit of grass popped on top of it in places.

And the aforementioned space games are a good proof of concept that these high fidelity ground surfaces neither need tons and tons of disk realestate, nor that you need a monste pc with hundreds of GBs of memory. Its a question of the underlying core engine in being able to display that hugh and detailed maps, and of crouse of the map dev. kit technology.

ED mentioned plans for a full sperical globe map in the future. At the latest then, then we definetely need this procedural ground tech.
sc_neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:35 PM   #46
Ala13_ManOWar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_neo View Post
… it still is very much on the level of early 2000ish fps games …
Are we still in a flight sim?

S!
Old 09-13-2019, 03:43 PM   #47
Gierasimov

DCS is not only flight sim though. Just remember that people who own CA or even rotor heads are really close to the ground. For you, it could be not an issue at all and I respect that.
Gierasimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:38 PM   #48
sc_neo

Quite honestly,...the "it is a flight sim point" might have been valid aslong as there was no proof that it can be done. Man, i wish EDs non module tech devs would post 2-3 times a year in detail what they are working for the overall sim. Right now, we have no clue whether anything akin to improved ground surfaces in even remotely plannend or in the works.

Last edited by sc_neo; 09-14-2019 at 08:49 AM.
sc_neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:30 AM   #49
Ala13_ManOWar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gierasimov View Post
DCS is not only flight sim though.
Yeah, I know CA stuff is there even though I personally don't use it quite often. Still, IMO for a flight sim where you either flight 50000ft high in your fighter jet or run in a humvee through open fields it's not that bad you have some "2000ish FPS graphics" at ground level. For a flight sim. Where you fly.

S!

Tags
map textures