Change Wording: "Set SPI Generator" instead of "Make SPI" - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 09-10-2019, 09:56 PM   #41
Dagger71

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagrat View Post
Yep, that's what I meant. Especially as it still fits in the control overview table.

Well that is quite different from the extremely confusing "Set SPI Generator"
Dagger71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:04 PM   #42
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagger71 View Post
Well that is quite different from the extremely confusing "Set SPI Generator"
Not that far from the manual's Set SPI sensor designator. It refers to the SOI being set as the source from which the system generates the current SPI coordinates. It is a bit clunky and won't fit in the table, but "Set SPI" and a reference to the "Understanding SOI and SPI" chapter will help newcomers to better grasp the concept.

- Flying Sims since 1984 -
Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC | AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)
shagrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:10 PM   #43
Dagger71

Quote:
Not that far from the manual's Set SPI sensor designator. It refers to the SOI being set as the source from which the system generates the current SPI coordinates. It is a bit clunky and won't fit in the table, but "Set SPI" and a reference to the "Understanding SOI and SPI" chapter will help newcomers to better grasp the concept.

YA I have no problem with "Set Sensor as SPI" it explains that the TGP LOS is the SPI.

But where did you get "Set SPI sensor designator."??? I don't find this term in the manual either. It is again a very awkward term, even worse than Set SPI Generator.

Last edited by Dagger71; 09-10-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:34 PM   #44
Dagger71

Quote:
Honestly I don't give a sh... what the Air Force manual says, as we need a manual for the DCS A-10C Simulation and not the real plane.

I think this sentence right here perfectly describes the tone for this ridiculous argument.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:36 PM   #45
Yurgon
Campaign Testers

Progress.

Quote:
Please tell me the source of the SMEs who worked on the A10C and used the term Set SPI Generator.
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1578902

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.p...87#post2676487

I'll leave it to you to figure out why I chose these.

Quote:
Set Sensor as SPI - this function allows the TGP, TAD, Maverick or HUD to define the SPI

I have no problem with this wording either.

Think of TMS Forward Long as "Make" Sensor SPI.
Quote:
A SPI CAN be defined by the SOI. The sensor does NOT become the SPI. Yes in with TGP/MAV/HUD the cue will remain SPI and can slew until you select a new SOI/or make a new SPI (other than TMS FWD LONG)
Quote:
So a SPI is a point in 3 dimensional space that was made by a SOI or by any of the other 3 methods. It is a cue.
Is the SPI a point, or a sensor, or a cue? Is it made or defined or designated? Why not generated?

"Set Sensor as SPI" is a lot better than "Make SPI" IMO, but it's not quite there yet. The sensor does not become a point. It becomes the sensor that generates or defines or updates the point.

"Set SPI Updater", "Set SPI Definer" or "Set SPI Designator" would not be wrong IMO, but why invent new terms when "SPI Generator" is already in use (once more: it's already in the manual right now, just not in the place where I would like to have it replaced).

Last edited by Yurgon; 09-10-2019 at 10:40 PM.
Yurgon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:57 PM   #46
Dagger71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurgon View Post
Is the SPI a point, or a sensor, or a cue? Is it made or defined or designated? Why not generated?

Please tell me you aren't seriously asking this question after all the explanation I have gone through.

It is a point in 3D space that is represented by a cue. It can be generated (which is a synonym of make/create) by a Sensor LOS like the TGP or Mav. As you slew, the point gets updated. It is NOT the Sensor but can defined by the sensor.

PLEASE tell me you understand this!!!

Last edited by Dagger71; 09-10-2019 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:48 AM   #47
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
YA I have no problem with "Set Sensor as SPI" it explains that the TGP LOS is the SPI.

But where did you get "Set SPI sensor designator."??? I don't find this term in the manual either. It is again a very awkward term, even worse than Set SPI Generator.
DCS A-10C Flight Manual, page 400, Chapter "Sensor Point of Interest (SPI)", middle of the page: "SPI sensor designators" then listing all sensors and end with the table for SOI and definable SPI. The table you referenced yourself in an earlier post.

Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC | AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)
Old 09-11-2019, 08:00 AM   #48
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Please tell me you aren't seriously asking this question after all the explanation I have gone through.

It is a point in 3D space that is represented by a cue. It can be generated (which is a synonym of make/create) by a Sensor LOS like the TGP or Mav. As you slew, the point gets updated. It is NOT the Sensor but can defined by the sensor.

PLEASE tell me you understand this!!!
Yep, correct. And what does TMS Forward long do?

Old 09-11-2019, 08:07 AM   #49
shagrat
ED Translator

...and on top of the very same page 400 (paragraph 2, last sentence), we have:
(...)"The current SPI generator is always indicated in the lower left corner of the HUD"(...)
Notice the words "SPI generator"!

Old 09-11-2019, 09:16 AM   #50
Dagger71

Quote:
Yep, correct. And what does TMS Forward long do?
Makes SPI from the current SOI.