Coms integration - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-20-2018, 05:20 PM   #1
Tippis

Default Coms integration

Now that there's some movement with this old module, I was reminded about a question I had from the very start, and which if anything becomes even more relevant now that it works for a much wider range of aircraft.

The module description says that the NS 430 “serves as both a communications radio, navigation radio, and GPS receiver”, which is all fine and dandy… but how? Specifically, how will that coms radio integrate with the existing radio systems (if at all) in planes such as the F-5, which only have one way to activate its existing radio, or in the SA342, which already has a radio that covers what the NS430 does?

From what I can tell, both from the binds menu and the manual, the com button is purely cosmetic at the moment (other than as a power button) since it does nothing. You can dial all day, but never affect or contact anything. But how will that work in the future? Will it be its own receiver with its own radio activation bind, or will it be a remote for existing radios, hooking into whatever system is already there?
Tippis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:50 PM   #2
ebabil
Veteran

i think no radio comm with it. maybe in the future

Youtube
Z390 / i5 9400F / Gtx1070 / 16 GB Ram / 500 gb SSD and 1 tb HDD // CH Fighterstick - MS FFB2 - TM Warthog Throttle - CH Pro Pedals - TrackIR 4
ebabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:07 PM   #3
SVgamer72

Prior to this new release the radio was not integrated into the Mi-8.

Maybe that has changed, but I have not had a chance to try it out yet.
SVgamer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:35 PM   #4
DeepDrummer

ok thanks. I may have messed up then and put the wrong frequency in my B channel. I haven't done that in a while. I'll verify tomorrow. It is an hour and a half mission I have been flying.
edit: I put in 138 instead of 141 which makes no sense at all. Good to know the comms in the 430 don't interface with it even maybe. I'll sleep better now.
Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.
"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth
DeepDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:23 AM   #5
nessuno0505

I think radio can't Be implemented in general 2d version. Maybe It works only with mi-8 and l-39 cockpit integrated ones that are connected to electrical and other systems. I do not have ns430 so I cannot test but It would Be interesting if someone tries
nessuno0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:56 AM   #6
Tippis

Just to clarify: none of it is integrated at the moment. This is already known and tested, and nothing in the manual or in the settings, or in any discussion on the forums suggests otherwise.

What I'm wondering is a mixture of “if” and “how” (with an implicit “when” tacked on) it will be — after all, the module description makes it sound like it will.

The thing is, such integration has to either treat the NS as its own separate unit with its own PTT and everything (compare the R-863/R-282 in the Mi-8 or the UHF/VHF/FM radios in the A-10), or it will be a remote to existing VHF radios (it would read off, feed into, or just outright replace the regular radio and you use the regular PTT to activate it).

The question then becomes, if it's the former, how will that work with aircraft that have built-in radio selectors for control- and audio routing, like the SPU in the Mi-8 or that fiddly little dial in the UH-1? If it's the latter, how will that work in aircraft that don't have VHF radios (e.g. the F-5 or MiG-15) or that only uses pre-selects (eg. the L-39). The comms integration sounds easy, but how will it actually end up working, because it's a whole lot more complex when you start to think about all the different ways the various aircraft have to interact with their radios.
Tippis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:17 PM   #7
nessuno0505

You are right: actual systems integration is complex and must Be managed for each module. But you are talking about future possibilities (uh-1, mig-15), while I'm asking of an already existent module (l-39) for which you have to pay 6 bucks. If the only difference between 2d pop-up and l-39 specific 3d One is that the latter is stuck in the cockpit and turns on with electrical, then I'll wait before buying (to Be honest, the module is sold as "early access"), Just to see What functilonalities Will Be implemented and how from here to when It Will become "release".
nessuno0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:36 PM   #8
River

Are the comms implemented yet ?
River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:01 PM   #9
Ramsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
Are the comms implemented yet ?
No
Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:06 AM   #10
Nsane

Hello, does it work on the F5E. and how do you get it going?
Nsane is offline   Reply With Quote