Oculus Quest in DCS World

Johnny Dioxin

As I'm going to be doing my best to get this working as good as possible, I thought might not be a bad idea to add the Quest to the threads here in the VR section.

I'll try it using ALVR to start with and report what happens. Would be good to get some input and reviews from others trying it with the Quest.

I don't know if this video has been linked on here - probably, but I just found it on YT - and if it's good in the Go, it should be much better in the Quest, especially as the developer is now optimising for Quest and Touch

My Quest arrives tomorrow, but Amazon deliveries are always very late in the day here, so I'll spend the weekend getting it set up as best I can.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Have installed ALVR Alpha 2.4.0-alpha4 sucessfully on my Quest and it works very stable. To install ALVR go to Github ALVR and follow the instructions under „installation“.

To install the ALVR client on the Quest you have to activate the developer mode in your Oculus app following the instructions here:

Oculus developer mode

The installation version with the code didn‘t work for me but I downloaded the apk and installed it with an apkeditor (I‘ve used this one: APK Editor) and installed the apk downloaded from the ALVR site.

After installation fire up the ALVR server on the PC and in the quest go to your library to „unknown sources“ and start the client. I had to open the UDP port mentioned in the server app on the PC on my ASUS router, clicked „start“ and steam VR started.

After that I fired up DCS and everything worked perfect. Had good frames (better than with my Vive pro) but the text is a little better readable with my Vive pro. Overall I was very happy with the quality and getting rid of the cable is a huge plus for me. From a quality perspective it‘s hard to quantify. For me the Quest is really close to my Vive pro with lens mod but that might be just my first impression after 1 hour using the quest with DCS.

With ALVR and my ASUS GT-AX11000 router with 5GHz WLAN I had no issues using the Quest with DCS and the Tomcat so far. Just keep in mind, it was a short one hour test, battery capacity of the Quest after this test (started with 100%) was 53% at the end.

Compared to Riftcat I have to say that currently ALVR alpha 2.4.0-alpha4 works way better for me. In Riftcat I had framerate and quality issues, in ALVR not at all.

Conclusion: To get a first impression how DCS looks like in VR and if you have a Quest or want to have a portable device anyway that‘s for sure a good way to give VR a try. I have no comparison to the Pimax, Oculus Rift S or the new upcoming devices but compared to the Vive pro it‘s really close to my Vive. From a comfort side I prefer my Vive and due to the limited time of the battery I think the Quest won‘t stay your primary VR headset for a long time. It could be the perfect solution for some people as for me the quality is very close to my Vive pro but if you think about flying longer missions than two hours you‘ll have to find a solution for the battery capacity.

Hope that helps a little in deciding if you‘d like to give the Quest a chance

Modules and maps: all of them :doh:

Specs: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I, Intel i7-8086K@4.9GHz, 32GB Corsair Vengance RAM, Nvidia RTX 2080 FE, 2x1 TB Samsung EVO 970 M.2, WIN10 64bit, HP Reverb

Regarding battery life - although Oculus don't recommend it, I saw a review on YT today saying you can keep on playing with the USB lead connected - a major bonus and no real issue for sim flyers.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Have installed ALVR Alpha 2.4.0-alpha4 sucessfully on my Quest and it works very stable. To install ALVR go to Github ALVR and follow the instructions under „installation“.

To install the ALVR client on the Quest you have to activate the developer mode in your Oculus app following the instructions here:

Oculus developer mode

The installation version with the code didn‘t work for me but I downloaded the apk and installed it with an apkeditor (I‘ve used this one: APK Editor) and installed the apk downloaded from the ALVR site.

After installation fire up the ALVR server on the PC and in the quest go to your library to „unknown sources“ and start the client. I had to open the UDP port mentioned in the server app on the PC on my ASUS router, clicked „start“ and steam VR started.

After that I fired up DCS and everything worked perfect. Had good frames (better than with my Vive pro) but the text is a little better readable with my Vive pro. Overall I was very happy with the quality and getting rid of the cable is a huge plus for me. From a quality perspective it‘s hard to quantify. For me the Quest is really close to my Vive pro with lens mod but that might be just my first impression after 1 hour using the quest with DCS.

With ALVR and my ASUS GT-AX11000 router with 5GHz WLAN I had no issues using the Quest with DCS and the Tomcat so far. Just keep in mind, it was a short one hour test, battery capacity of the Quest after this test (started with 100%) was 53% at the end.

Compared to Riftcat I have to say that currently ALVR alpha 2.4.0-alpha4 works way better for me. In Riftcat I had framerate and quality issues, in ALVR not at all.

Conclusion: To get a first impression how DCS looks like in VR and if you have a Quest or want to have a portable device anyway that‘s for sure a good way to give VR a try. I have no comparison to the Pimax, Oculus Rift S or the new upcoming devices but compared to the Vive pro it‘s really close to my Vive. From a comfort side I prefer my Vive and due to the limited time of the battery I think the Quest won‘t stay your primary VR headset for a long time. It could be the perfect solution for some people as for me the quality is very close to my Vive pro but if you think about flying longer missions than two hours you‘ll have to find a solution for the battery capacity.

Hope that helps a little in deciding if you‘d like to give the Quest a chance

Interesting..I wonder about additional heat discomfort due to battery discharge ?

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Well it looks like I'll be returning my Quest without ever having switched it on.

Turns out you need a phone and it has to have android 6 or later (my phone and tablets have 4.4 and can't be updated to later versions). Not very happy at all - don't see why I should have to buy a new phone or tablet to use my headset, Crazy - but typical FB/Oculus. Not happy at all. :mad:

I knew a phone had to be used, but had no idea it had to be v6 or above. On the website it says you can use your online account, but seems this is not so.

Index it is, then.

Kneeboard Guides

Interesting..I wonder about additional heat discomfort due to battery discharge ?

That wasn‘t an issue for me but the overall comfort isn‘t as good as with my Vive pro as the Quest has these straps and is a little bit front heavy. Have read about someone who compensated that by installing a powerbank on the back of the head and used this one to extend the batterie time.

Using the USB cable to connect the Quest with the PC to avoid running out of batterie compensated the advantage of having no cable compared to the Rift S. Have tried this aswell but didn‘t like it. Only pro on this one: using a cable in Riftcat eliminates the downsides of needing a good WLAN as Riftcat can use the USB connection for streaming as well.

Another point regarding the USB cable: I was not able to get the Quest connected with the included USB-C cable to my PC. Had to buy a normal USB-C (one end) / USB-A (other end) cable and then it worked like a charm. Don‘t know why. Maybe my USB-C port on my PC didn‘t work properly.

Regarding first Quest setup: you need an iPhone / iPad with iOS 10 or later or any Android device with version 6.0 or higher. It‘s just needed to connect the Quest with your Oculus account so it would be even possible to borrow a device from a friend for the setup as you won‘t need it afterwards again (was at least communicated this way by my dealer).

But as stated before: the Quest is for sure not the best solution for DCS. for regular use and longer sessions I‘d recommend other VR headsets but for having occasional flights and getting into VR the Quest does really a good job - that‘s at least my point of view for the moment.

Modules and maps: all of them :doh:

Specs: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I, Intel i7-8086K@4.9GHz, 32GB Corsair Vengance RAM, Nvidia RTX 2080 FE, 2x1 TB Samsung EVO 970 M.2, WIN10 64bit, HP Reverb

You may want to try and use Moonlight to stream from your desktop to the Quest as well. I've used it to stream games before (but for VR) and found it to be a very low latency option. I have played DCS with it streaming from home to remote locations while traveling but mostly I just used it for mission editing tasks as flying without a HOTAS is not fun.

Essentially it's a 3rd party version open source of the same streaming that Nvidia uses with their Shield tablets/gaming pads but is a little more robust. I have seen youtube videos of people also reporting that it works very well with the Quest.

https://moonlight-stream.org/

I'd be interested in how you find it works. Thanks!

Edited by Madmatt_BFC

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

I'm unable to do anything at all with my Quest except pair it to my tablet, so it's going back for a refund. Real shame - I was hoping it would be a good supplement to my CV1 and later, Index, but I'm sick of having silly problems with Oculus hardware.

Their policy always seems to be "sell it now and fix the problems later" and for a £500 device that's unacceptable. I was happy to do so for the CV1, but these problems should be a thing of the past now - they're not new tech issues, they are rubbish software and quality control issues.

I had to have my original Rift replaced under warranty - not interested in doing that again with Quest and if it's a software issue, well see above.

Congrats Oculus - you lost another customer, and afaic it's pointless buying any more software from their store when I'll be switching to Valve in 3 months' time.

***just after completing the return request I finally managed to get the thing to update and work. Well, I say "work" - it rarely responds to any of the Home menu selections I make, even with a strong WiFi signal and waiting several minutes (eg can't get the library to appear and store takes a couple of minutes). On top of that, even though I have games that are supposed to not require repurchasing for Quest, they don't show up in my Oculus app on the tablet. I'm impressed with the graphics quality - seems better than Rift S, however, it's still going back due to the lack of decent functioning and the fact that I've had zero response in 2 days from Oculus support. Even if they are busy, it's no excuse, really. I had excellent support with the Rift, but I think they have gone downhill since, and will only sink further, the more FB 'outsiders' fiddle in Oculus' operation.

See y'all.

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

I'm unable to do anything at all with my Quest except pair it to my tablet, so it's going back for a refund. Real shame - I was hoping it would be a good supplement to my CV1 and later, Index, but I'm sick of having silly problems with Oculus hardware.

Their policy always seems to be "sell it now and fix the problems later" and for a £500 device that's unacceptable. I was happy to do so for the CV1, but these problems should be a thing of the past now - they're not new tech issues, they are rubbish software and quality control issues.

I had to have my original Rift replaced under warranty - not interested in doing that again with Quest and if it's a software issue, well see above.

Congrats Oculus - you lost another customer, and afaic it's pointless buying any more software from their store when I'll be switching to Valve in 3 months' time.

***just after completing the return request I finally managed to get the thing to update and work. Well, I say "work" - it rarely responds to any of the Home menu selections I make, even with a strong WiFi signal and waiting several minutes (eg can't get the library to appear and store takes a couple of minutes). On top of that, even though I have games that are supposed to not require repurchasing for Quest, they don't show up in my Oculus app on the tablet. I'm impressed with the graphics quality - seems better than Rift S, however, it's still going back due to the lack of decent functioning and the fact that I've had zero response in 2 days from Oculus support. Even if they are busy, it's no excuse, really. I had excellent support with the Rift, but I think they have gone downhill since, and will only sink further, the more FB 'outsiders' fiddle in Oculus' operation.

See y'all.

Thats a real shame that you are having issues. I had problems with oculus support initially with my CV1 and they were not too helpful either back in the day. I have concerns knowing how protective oculus is, in that they will invent a block for ALVR and riftcat(if thats its name?). I just ordered it moments ago but not for simming as my Vive Pro with lens mod will be my DCS go to. I actually ordered it for use with other steam games that I can play with decent room scale space in the lounge/family room that I am unable to play in my limited space mancave. Hence why I am wary of oculus and future firmware updates to hobble what is turning into what seems like a good allround system. :cry::doh:

There we were....two against a thousand.....so what'd we do....Shotem' both!!!!

Intel core I5-9600, GB RTX 2080TI@2050Mhz, Asus ROG Strix Z390, 32GB G.Skill ddr4 3000 Ram. 40" Philips 4K monitor, HP Reverb, Vive Pro, Rift CV1, TMWH and SimXperience Motion Sim, Lime green jocks, Jack Daniels 1770, 2 packs Marlborough, etc etc etc...:megalol:

It is a shame - but I might have been able to do something. It seemed for some reason my Quest was having difficulties with its connection - even when I was stood right next to my router. It would only connect at all on the 5GHz band, and even then, unreliably.

Unfortunately, I had already had enough by that stage and decided to go with the Index I had reserved.

If you get one working well, I'm sure the Quest would be great.

Kneeboard Guides

• 11 months later...
Any news on quest compatibility? Just read about an update.. regarding hand recognition... where it sees your hand.. and allows you to manipulate things

Quest with Link works good long as you have a good USB 3 cable.

Hand recognition is currently only with Quest stand alone, not with PC version of software which is what Link uses.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 2 weeks later...

Since the last Quest FW update, you can use a USB2 cable as well, such as the one supplied with the headset. Technically no difference since the stream is still 100Mbps over the USB cable.

However, a Quest for a dedicated DCS use is a bad choice. While under daylight the quality is very close to the Rift S, at night time you see ugly compression artifacts with the Occulus Link.

However, a Quest for a dedicated DCS use is a bad choice. While under daylight the quality is very close to the Rift S, at night time you see ugly compression artifacts with the Occulus Link.

Galinette, that is simply not true.

There must be a problem with your setup.

I have used the Quest during night time and it looks fabulous.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

Galinette, that is simply not true.

There must be a problem with your setup.

I have used the Quest during night time and it looks fabulous.

Display quality depends on the people. You have to see it to judge for yourself. This is the best through the lens comparison I've seen. Also shows you the pros and cons of LCD vs OLED.

Difference becomes apparent when things start moving. I still prefer the higher refresh rate of Oculus CV1. People don't notice difference between 45 and 40fps? I definitely do. This is what some reviewers like Linus Tech Tips are saying that Oculus is going backwards by going with 72Hz display on Quest. Once you are used to 120Hz of Index, you can never go back to 72Hz.

This may not be critical in DCS as it does in racing sim however. Since everything moves slowly and you're usually killing things from the distance.

Edited by Taz1004

Display quality depends on the people. You have to see it to judge for yourself. This is the best through the lens comparison I've seen. Also shows you the pros and cons of LCD vs OLED.

Difference becomes apparent when things start moving. I still prefer the higher refresh rate of Oculus CV1. People don't notice difference between 45 and 40fps? I definitely do. This is what some reviewers like Linus Tech Tips are saying that Oculus is going backwards by going with 72Hz display on Quest. Once you are used to 120Hz of Index, you can never go back to 72Hz.

This may not be critical in DCS as it does in racing sim however. Since everything moves slowly and you're usually killing things from the distance.

Thanks for that video.

It was very interesting.

What I can say is just that it emphasizes exactly that the OLED displays in the Quest are better able to show black, so that fits with night flying looking good.

Another thing is, I think that video may have been made before Oculus introduced overriding the default Oculus Link Resolution, which was done 12 days after this video. ;)

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/83561/oculus-link-resolution-with-v12

These tweaks greatly enhances Quest clarity, especially if you have a powerful GPU that can run it.

I have made a guide on running Quest via Link, and getting high graphics quality in DCS (but not high frame rates), which I plan to post in here soon.

The difference from standard Oculus settings is quite remarkable.

About frame rates, you are in to something:

Flight simulators are have traditionally been fine with relatively low frame rates, the more important thing here is that they are consistent, so that the game runs smoothly.

Using my quite high settings I get very good details and scenery in DCS with Quest, and it runs smoothly at 30-36 fps most of the time, even on Supercarrier in the Tomcat, two fps eating entities in the game.In sim racing and first person shooters such a low frame rate would hardly be acceptable, but it works fine in DCS.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

It is a shame - but I might have been able to do something. It seemed for some reason my Quest was having difficulties with its connection - even when I was stood right next to my router. It would only connect at all on the 5GHz band, and even then, unreliably.

Unfortunately, I had already had enough by that stage and decided to go with the Index I had reserved.

If you get one working well, I'm sure the Quest would be great.

Sad to hear your experience.

It sounds like you may have gotten a bad sample.

I'm running DCS with Quest, and it runs really well here.

Using the recommended Anker USB cable, and have had a no problem neither with Wi-Fi nor with Link connection.

I got the Quest because I had too high IPD for both the Reverb and the Rift S, so I'm happy I was able to get it to run well.

System specs:

Sad to hear your experience.

It sounds like you may have gotten a bad sample.

I'm running DCS with Quest, and it runs really well here.

Using the recommended Anker USB cable, and have had a no problem neither with Wi-Fi nor with Link connection.

I got the Quest because I had too high IPD for both the Reverb and the Rift S, so I'm happy I was able to get it to run well.

I think he was reffering to running dcs in Virtual Desktop, not Oculus Link