[FIXED]About Bomb Interval Setting

Terzi

Hello,

The length of the Stennis AC Carrier is about 1000 feet. I tried to bomb my own carrier with 5xMk84 bombs. I set the QTY to 5, MULT left as 1, INT set to 200. This would cover the whole deck with 5 bombs single drop at a time with an interval of 200ft. I dropped all the bombs and;

Saw that the distance between the 1st bomb impact point and the last bomb impact point is even less than the half of the length of the carrier.

Please check if the bomb intervals work correctly especially in short intervals.

[CENTER]

Signum_Signatur.png

[/CENTER]

I haven't really tested the Hornets bombing interval yet, however I have experienced what your describing in the A-10. Would go to bomb runway full of targets and bombs would stop half way even though the interval set was supposed to cover it. It was almost as if there was a max interval because it worked fine at lesser distances.

I don't know if this is a bug or if there is a limit to how large an interval you can have.

Will have to test in Hornet to see if it's the same as what I experienced in the A-10.

Is it possible that the pipper indicates the middle of the bombing interval? Thus pressing pickle when the pipper is on the stern of the ship would put half of your bombs in the water.

At least thats how it should be.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

If you wish to check the bomb pattern spacing have in your mind that while pressing pickle button you MUST have 1 g ( no g's, no AoA changes). It is better to practice on a runway.

My Hardware: ROG Strix X570-F Gaming - AMD 5600X @ 4.7 ghz - G.SKILL TRIDENT 32GB DDR4 3200 (14-14-14-34 CL) - GigaByte 3080ti OC 12gb - Corsair MP600 Force 1TB - 2 x EVO Nvme 500GB - Virpil Warbird Base T-50CM2 and TM Throttle + Trackhat + G25 + AOC AG271QG 27"

My Modules: JF-17, F-16C, AV-8N/A, F-18C, ASJ37, MiG-15Bis, MiG-21Bis, Fw-190D, Bf-109K, P-51D, F-86F, Ka-50 III, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, NS430, FC3, A-10C, Mirage 2000C, L-39, F-5E-3, SA342, Spitfire, AH-64, Mirage F-1CE.

My Maps: Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria, South Atlantic.

Did the Carrier move ?

Yes it moves but it does not change the fact that the distance between 1st bomb and the last one does not match the distance in the settings.

And yes the bombs are dropped at 1G load with a dive angle less than 10 degrees.

You can download and watch the track.

[CENTER]

Signum_Signatur.png

[/CENTER]

Didnt do any accurate measurements, but I found that the Mk 82 and Mk 82 snake eyes, use the interval setting differently?

With the Mk82's, it seemed like a 1st bomb to last bomb interval. So if I set that to 600, first bombs hits where I have the pipper, and last bomb aprox 600 feet later.

With the Snake eyes however, it was the the distance between each bomb (did use the Ret for drag setting). And the snake eyes came of the rack a little inaccurate, so sometimes (I was dropping 4) 3 and 4 had a lot less distance between each other.

I used unlimited ammo, and made many runs, with various intervals.

With the Mk 82's Id dive in from around 12K feet and a 30-40 degree dive angle.

With the SE's I would be level at around 500 ft, and 450 kts.

In both cases holding it steady, and just let the pipper walk over the target.

Edit: I should mention, this was on the X-field south of Kobuleti.

Edited by Knock-Knock

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Is it possible that elevation of the target, or rather, the elevation above the target of the a/c is missing from the equation? It seems to me that the computer would need to know that in order to properly determine when to release the bombs.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No idea, just added to my above post, that these tests were done at the X-field south of Kobuleti, so all quite level.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

It is usual to speak of time between release as "interval" and distance between impact as "spacing." That is one convention of these words, intervals of time and spacing of distance. Of course it is possible to talk of intervals of distance and maybe F/A-18 language is this way. Manual bombing profile is almost certainly in milliseconds while computed bombing is in feet. Be careful to report if your mode is manual or auto.

First a check if it is possible "200" is 200 milliseconds and not 200 feet. Three hundred knots is about 500 fps. Five bombs is four intervals, at 800ms total. 800ms at 500 fps is 400' total bomb stick length. Was your bomb stick length about 400 feet? Does bomb pattern get longer and shorter if release speed is higher and lower?

We can also calculate expectation. For five bombs at 200' we expect 800' total release path. Perhaps we find our true speed at release is 342 knots. This is 577 fps. The last bomb should release 1,386 milliseconds after the first. By replaying the track and setting time acceleration to 1/32x the time interval can be measured with a stopwatch. It should be 44.4 seconds. This gives an accuracy of 16ms (9 feet) if our stopwatch is accurate to 0.5s.

@Frederf: Good points here. Real pilots or the developers can now clarify whether it is time interval, release interval or impact spacing what we are entering there for the bomb release. This topic is not yet labeled as a bug or not so I am still waiting their response.

I still don't think it could be time interval because they wouldn't pass on the impact spacing calculations to the pilot while it can be done easily by on-board computers.

[CENTER]

Signum_Signatur.png

[/CENTER]

bomb interval

supposing I am dropping 4 bombs with an interval of 500ft, is the 500ft the space between each bomb (a total of 2000ft) or is it the space between the first and last bomb?

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

now on a long stream of booms lets say 8 on a 1000 ft interval on CCIP is the CCIP boom cross the start on the 8000 ft line of booms or the center?

The first bomb hits the point you designate. The rest hit according to the interval, past that point. Same with Auto.

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

A few issues with bombing

Is this example I am dropping 6 Mk.82 in CCIP, ripple single mode with 500 ft of selected spacing between bombs.

I have made a couple of videos for comparison, first the A-10C:

Now the F/A-18C:

There are 3 issues here with the Hornet:

1. As seen in the SMS page, the Hornet load was 4 Mk 82 in VER in inner pylons and 2 Mk.82 directly on external pylons. The video also shows that not all bombs dropped, only the four Mk.82 in VER do. Actually the pipper disappears as if no more bombs were available. Later, when pressing 82B twice in the left DDI/SMS page, they drop!

2. Incorrect separation between bombs: obviously that is not 500 ft, please compare with the Warthog video. More on that here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=211878

3. It is expected that the bombs bracket (half before and half after) the impact point, as it does with the Warthog. But the Hornet drops the first bomb where the CCIP pipper was when pressing the release button, and the rest of the bombs land longer.

Edited by escaner
Edited, embedded videos didn't work

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]