Oculus Rift - Low FPS

kraszus

OK. I finally took the plunge and bought a Rift. With ASW on, I get a steady 45 fps in IL2 BoS and the same in Elite Dangerous. This is with Pixel Density set to 1.5

However, in DCS (1.5x), I average only 22fps, it only rises to 45 fps when I look at the sky. Pixel Density at 1.5 then 1.3 and still the same fps. Settings are set to 'VR Preset' with AA set to off.

This is running with i5 3570k overclocked to 4.2GHz, 16GB RAM, and a RX 480 8GB Graphics Card with up-to-date drivers.

Anyone with a similar setup getting the same results? Or anyone with a similar setup achieving better? If so please share your settings :)

Edited by kraszus
Updated details of settings

Which mission? Some missions have pretty low FPS on the ground and goes to above 45 when you fly. Switch off mirrors, they'll kill your fps quick. After that Shadows and MSAA

DCS (both versions) runs pretty poorly in VR so don't expect too much.

I already have AntiAliasing switched off. And this is with just the Quick Mission generator.

Mirrors?

What does MSI Afterburner show? Quick Mission gen may have a lot of AI driving around which will then cause your CPU to bottleneck the whole system, Afterburner will show what's going on

Mirrors are probably set to on...will check and try with them disabled.

I have a 1080 Ti and 4790K OC'ed to all hell and back, and I even have to keep mirrors off to keep solid/stable frames...I will admit though that I have most settings pretty damn high, but still...

Turning mirrors off should help to stay up above 45 ASW.

Edited by =Buckeye=

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

OK. I finally took the plunge and bought a Rift. With ASW on, I get a steady 45 fps in IL2 BoS and the same in Elite Dangerous. This is with Pixel Density set to 1.5

However, in DCS (1.5x), I average only 22fps, it only rises to 45 fps when I look at the sky. Pixel Density at 1.5 then 1.3 and still the same fps. Settings are set to 'VR Preset' with AA set to off.

This is running with i5 3570k overclocked to 4.2GHz, 16GB RAM, and a RX 480 8GB Graphics Card with up-to-date drivers.

Anyone with a similar setup getting the same results? Or anyone with a similar setup achieving better? If so please share your settings :)

It doesn't surprise me. The built-in VR preset isn't the best in my opinion. You need to switch pretty much all the eye candy off (HDR, shadows, AA, etc.) and set your pixel density to 1.0. Start from there, see what fps you're getting and then add stuff very gradually. Even with everything turned off and a gtx 980 I struggle to get over 45 fps most of the time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You can have a awful performance in DCS for VR experience, FPS just barely going over 20-22 with everything set to lowest possible ones.

It is as well possible to set everything to up and you get same FPS without other than graphics gain.

And yet CPU, GPU, VRAM or RAM are hitting anywhere the maxes.

1084700716_DCSprocess.thumb.PNG.cdc4c2eedd2faab61021aa86c5c088db.PNG

Black is the GPU, pink is the VRAM (80% filled) and rest are 8 CPU cores doing their jobs (and blue is RAM that gets below 50% with the DCS).

At highest peak at any point that GPU got was 69% and rest of the time it is 40-50%.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

You can have a awful performance in DCS for VR experience, FPS just barely going over 20-22 with everything set to lowest possible ones.

It is as well possible to set everything to up and you get same FPS without other than graphics gain.

And yet CPU, GPU, VRAM or RAM are hitting anywhere the maxes.

[ATTACH]168470[/ATTACH]

Black is the GPU, pink is the VRAM (80% filled) and rest are 8 CPU cores doing their jobs (and blue is RAM that gets below 50% with the DCS).

At highest peak at any point that GPU got was 69% and rest of the time it is 40-50%.

Your CPU is maxing out. Its just hard to see because the DCS process jumps to different cores, so no single one looks like it is being maxed out. Probably not much you can do if its already overclocked and all the CPU intensive effects are turned down.

Your CPU is maxing out. Its just hard to see because the DCS process jumps to different cores, so no single one looks like it is being maxed out. Probably not much you can do if its already overclocked and all the CPU intensive effects are turned down.
Actually it aint, as I have tested and locked DCS to only a single or two cores and it never peaks above 80% then.

At 4K I can have very nice high FPS (around over 50) at almost all maxed out, but VR just puts things now and then on knees without any reason.

Sometimes it doesn't at all, often does. All in same mission or similar.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

but VR just puts things now and then on knees without any reason.

Sometimes it doesn't at all, often does. All in same mission or similar..

Same experience I have, in both 1.57 and 2.11. Problem doesnt exist in latest 1.56 (rolled OpenBeta back, clean install). I have tried everything I can think of, every setting imaginable, disabled this and that script - SRS, TacView, Simshaker, no luck yet. Fps can suddenly plunge to around 30, and sit there for a while, for no apparent reason. Ive been unable to find a way to reproduce, or say, it happens when you do this or that. One thing is certain, it will happen in any given mission, be it in SP or MP. Same missions in 1.56, nothing, runs fine. Something is up with 1.57 and 2.11.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Wierd look at pixel density settings. I have 1080ti and even with p.d 1.0 car hits 100usage under some consitions;) thats in 2.11. Try deleting metashaders folder in saved games;) For me 1.5.7 and 2.1.1 are best performing versions to date. Check. Sync to be off;)

I have a small config ( for VR )

and

fly now over 45 fps all the time ( since the last DCS update of this week)

even with the Epsom campaign ;) )

you need to adjust TOO ... your Graphic card control panel under windows

then

put your SS on 1.0 only to adjust graphics setup

try SS on 1 AAA --> OFF but MSAA --> x2

no more flickering ;)

you don't need VISUAL on ULTRA too !

check --> GRASS on OFF ;)

adjust your setup to have a sokid 45 FPS ( 35 over CAEN ... )

Goods flights

Clevo Sager - i7 6700-K 4.0Ghz OC@4.4Ghz - RAM 32GB DDR4 - VIDEO Nvidia 980 GTX 8Go - XFi SoundBlaster

VR with Oculus Rift - KGB Gunfighter-Pro + Cougar Gaz + Simped + volant T300 + pédalier LeoBodnar

Wierd look at pixel density settings. I have 1080ti and even with p.d 1.0 car hits 100usage under some consitions;) thats in 2.11. Try deleting metashaders folder in saved games;) For me 1.5.7 and 2.1.1 are best performing versions to date. Check. Sync to be off;)
If I let DCS use all cores, GPU goes nicely at middle usage but VRAM gets filled but low FPS.

If I restricted it to 1 core then GPU goes to 85-95% and peaks to 100% but VRAM drops to 3GB and no difference in performance.

And then some other launch time everything goes just nicely fine.

At least I don't get anymore every minute or so a serious FPS drops as I fixed VDROOP by adjusting little line load controller to keep CPU voltage up when CPU jumps between 45-70%

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

As I'm getting better FPS in DCS 2.0 as opposed to 1.5, I'm wondering is 2.0 better optimised for Oculus Rift / VR?

Yep, 2.0 is better optimized. 1.5 follows later. ED is hard at work at it.

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly: