X52 y axis choppy around center

Hi all,

I have had my Saitek x52 for a few years now, and lately I've noticed a strange problem with the y axis around the center.

If I open up the control panel and look at the y axis slider and slowly move the stick around the center the y axis position makes small choppy jumps, like it's sticking at certain values and requires more input to move off that value.

But here's the strange thing: if I hold down a button the y axis becomes just as smooth as any other axis. The choppiness is completely gone.

I notice this problem most with the mustang and dora, because as I am coming in for a strafing run, I get jumpy pitch changes. However I wasnt noticing it in the a10c because PAC is set to trigger stage 1, which is a button, which means the y axis goes smooth as I'm holding it down.

Has anyone else got the same problem? If you have an x52 (non-pro), please go into the Control Panel Deadzones screen, wiggle the stick around center and then try it with holding a button down. Do you notice any difference in smoothness?

I have tried this with 2 versions of the 7.0.x.y saitek drivers and even on a different machine without the drivers and get the same behaviour. I have tried every USB port (2 and 3.0) on my machine, and two separate powered usb hubs; same problem.

If I look at DIView while moving around the center I am getting much different delta (ms) when not holding buttons vs holding. It's like certain values around center are being missed unless the joystick has an event going on.

I have added extra magnets to the stick to increase sensivity around center, but it doesnt appear to change this choppiness behaviour.

I have only been able to find one other instance of this occurring on the internet, which is how I know holding down a button helps. I'm thinking that a permanent solution is going to have to be to tape down one of the mfd buttons, but I hate losing buttons (2 as I use pinky states a lot).

Any ideas?

Only one. Test the unit-to-unit cable (PS2?) and the internal stick harness. Just manipulate one of them slowly and watch the DIView outputs. Then the other one. If they are solid, it would mean there's something wrong with the electronic guts, which I'm not familiar with.