HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

@Woody01 - Thanks for the reply. I agree, I'm on my 3rd headset and second cable and still have problems with stuff they are sending. Nothing close to the way my original headset performed for the first six months. It was rock solid. Really a shame as you say.

So did HP agree to give you the credit towards the G2, or did the store you purchased from (Not bought from HP?) man up and decide to do the right thing for you? I would be fine with a credit if it were offered from HP...when it was working the Reverb was the best of the vr headsets I've used hands down. No question.

Fargo

I9-9900, GTX1080Ti,32GRam,Pimax 5k+, HP Reverb, TM WartHog, MTG Pedals

I sure hope HP has all these issues with Reverb worked out in the G2.

Have been spoiled with the great quality of the Oculus , with the Rift CV1, Rift S and Quest.

No telling how many hours I have in with my Rift S now without a glitch.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I sure hope HP has all these issues with Reverb worked out in the G2.

Have been spoiled with the great quality of the Oculus , with the Rift CV1, Rift S and Quest.

No telling how many hours I have in with my Rift S now without a glitch.

Don't be swayed by the experience of a few on this thread. There are thousands of happy Reverb users out there including me.

It's the usual internet thing, i.e. people feel that their experience applies to all, and wrongly generalise.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Don't be swayed by the experience of a few on this thread. There are thousands of happy Reverb users out there including me.

It's the usual internet thing, i.e. people feel that their experience applies to all, and wrongly generalise.

I think it's more like those that have issues are more likely to voice them. As always, with new tech there is always the possibility of issues but that's the gamble of being an early adopter. In my case I've always been unlucky when buying something new. Doesn't mean I've completely been put off by said item.

If anything i would rather have something happen day 10 than day 366 when the warranty is over. Pretty sure they took care of the cable issue with the G2 now that it doesn't disconnect, the new lenses should be better quality too.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Yeah and I am sure having Valve involved in the collaboration on the G2 was a good thing also.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The last few posts seem to have been the result of the short conversation between Woody01 and myself...regarding his refund efforts. There was no 'usual internet thing'...no generalizing...and not trying to influence anybody about anything. And come on, @imacken, for the last bunch of pages when you were seeking advice about your issues you didn't seem so 'happy' with your reverb...lol. Just seeking some information from Woody01.

The fact is after using the Oculus Rift and then the Pimax5k for a few years, I love the Reverb...hands down the best VR experience I have had yet. And I am sure I will also upgrade to the G2 when it comes out because the G1 was good enough to take the chance....when it was working... Another fact is that the HP response was excellent. Each time they sent me a replacement I had it in my hands in less than two days...sometimes the next day...couldn't ask for more. And HP didn't play 20 questions about the exchange etc...they just did it. Kudos to them for that. Could not have been easier.

But also, the fact is that they have now sent me three different headsets and a cable and each replacement item has had new issues.....its been going on for about 6 weeks now...how long would you wait before thinking about asking for a refund?

HP is obviously not doing any qual testing on these units they are sending out as 'replacements'. I wouldn't care if they are new or refurbished if they just worked. But they don't. And thats my only issue with the reverb. Sure, it broke, big deal...things break. But when you offer a 1 year warrantee and this is how it is serviced...I think I would like to at least know that going in...and I haven't seem anything about it being any different with the G2 warrantee policy...

And are just the facts of my (personal) experience with the reverb so far. No generalities, No 'internet' thing (I hardly ever post anything), and not something I believe applies to all...of course not. But definately something I would like to have been made aware of going in.

So yes, I'm sure there are thousands of happy Reverb users out there with no issues. Absolutely. I was one of them for half a year. Its a great headset when its working. But buyer beware...the warrantee policy is not as good as the headset!

Hey....Sorry, this grew to be so long...and if the last few posts were not the result of the conversation between Woody01 and myself, my apologies in advance!

Fargo

I9-9900, GTX1080Ti,32GRam,Pimax 5k+, HP Reverb, TM WartHog, MTG Pedals

It's the usual internet thing, i.e. people feel that their experience applies to all, and wrongly generalize.

^^^ ain't that the truth for pretty much everything these days? :thumbup:

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

The last few posts seem to have been the result of the short conversation between Woody01 and myself...regarding his refund efforts. There was no 'usual internet thing'...no generalizing...and not trying to influence anybody about anything. And come on, @imacken, for the last bunch of pages when you were seeking advice about your issues you didn't seem so 'happy' with your reverb...lol. Just seeking some information from Woody01.

Yes, that is true, but in the end, my issue was nothing to do with the Reverb. It was a software thing.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I got my replacement unit last week - all good.

What surprised me was the old unit stopped working with two of my three DisplayPorts as well as getting locked at 60Hz and blanking out occassionally. The replacement one works with them all so I can only guess they have slightly different tolerances which the "bad" unit wouldn't work with. I was concerned it was the graphics card but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I called HP on Friday and had the replacement unit (less headphones and cable) arrive on the following Tuesday which seems pretty good service to me.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Yes sorry twells555 I didn't get an answer back to you. Im in New Zealand and we have a law here called the Consumer guarantee act, it covers consumers regardless of what any warrantees say. if the product does not live up to your expectations you are entitled to either repair, replacement or refund at your discretion. I could have pushed for a refund but they were getting the G2 in anyway (The local shop I brought it off) so I opted for a store credit and that way I shouldn't miss out. Also several of the guys I fly with are either on their second Reverb or about to be, a lot of it from the same issue, it cant hack it after about 30 mins and shuts down. I too really hope Valve has had a positive influence on HP from a reliability point of view.

The Flying Kiwis - Since ages ago...

Find us at https://www.simcentral.co.nz

The fact is after using the Oculus Rift and then the Pimax5k for a few years, I love the Reverb...hands down the best VR experience I have had yet.

I'm curious why you found the Reverb experience to be superior to the Pimax. Having used neither, I have pre-ordered a G2, but had reservations about the field of view (especially for air combat). I gather you found the quality of the image of the Reverb sufficiently better than the Pimax to be worth giving up the wider FOV?

I'm curious why you found the Reverb experience to be superior to the Pimax. Having used neither, I have pre-ordered a G2, but had reservations about the field of view (especially for air combat). I gather you found the quality of the image of the Reverb sufficiently better than the Pimax to be worth giving up the wider FOV?
His comparison was pimax 5k and reverb. His analysis is correct, Reverb definitely beats the pimax 5k. However, the pimax 8kx (which I was able to test at CES) is definitely better than the reverb in both visual quality and FOV - by far. So it depends on which headset from pimax someone is referring to. This is also true for the reverb which now has a distinction between G1 and G2.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

His comparison was pimax 5k and reverb. His analysis is correct, Reverb definitely beats the pimax 5k. However, the pimax 8kx (which I was able to test at CES) is definitely better than the reverb in both visual quality and FOV - by far. So it depends on which headset from pimax someone is referring to. This is also true for the reverb which now has a distinction between G1 and G2.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks. So in your view, the Pimax 8K is superior to the current Reverb? Given that the G2 is the same resolution and depth of field as the first Reverb, I'm curious why so many people seem to be favoring the G2 over the Pimax 8K. In my case, it was because I'd heard even the Pimax 8K suffered from distortion issues outside the sweet spot. I was also worried about performance trying to drive all those additional pixels. But I've never had a chance to use either the original Reverb or the Pimax 8K, so I can only go by what I've read.

Thanks. So in your view, the Pimax 8K is superior to the current Reverb? Given that the G2 is the same resolution and depth of field as the first Reverb, I'm curious why so many people seem to be favoring the G2 over the Pimax 8K. In my case, it was because I'd heard even the Pimax 8K suffered from distortion issues outside the sweet spot. I was also worried about performance trying to drive all those additional pixels. But I've never had a chance to use either the original Reverb or the Pimax 8K, so I can only go by what I've read.
Apart from the inferior resolution (which should be resolved with the 8KX) my biggest issue with the 5K+ was the binocular overlap which I found an immersion killer, the Reverb (and Rift come to that) presented a more life like image whereas the Pimax always looked like an image through lenses due to the ever present overlap lines. Not something I have seen mentioned elsewhere so could just be me being fussy or a dodgy headset.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

While I admire their efforts, imho Pimax tries to bite off a little too much at one time.

Don B

From what I have heard the lenses of the original Reverb were the issue.

The lenses in the G2 were designed with Valve and the lcd are not the same as the ones from the original.

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Anyone tried the new syria map? I have huge issues, most of the times it can't even load the map, pc freezes, steam vr crashes..

Asus Z370-A | Intel i7 8700K @5.0GHz | Deepcool Maelstrom 120T Red | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA 1080ti 11GB SC2 | Kingston A2000 250GB NVMe 250GB for Windows 10 64-bit Pro OS, | Samsung 840PRO 120GB SSD & WD HDD 1TB & WD HDD 500GB for program files | 3x LG 24" IPS monitors | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | Thrustmaster FCS throttle and pedals | HP Reverb Pro, Oculus Rift CV1 (any many more stuff non flight sim related :helpsmilie:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No problems here either. In fact, it seems pretty smooth to me, which is a relief after the unfortunate experiences of the Channel map in it's current early access state.

there is something wrong.. i lowered terrain textures to low, and it's ok-ish now, but sometimes when i change between aircrafts, (F2 key) i get this error: PC freezes, Reverb gets black (like when off) after 3-4 mins PC unfreezes and DCS in my monitor is 100% working, even the Reverb tracking is working, only thing that doesn't work is image on my reverb it's black, also when this happens sometimes steamvr crashes and sometimes doesn't

also i attach my settings

plus i run vr at 45 fps, not 90 fps

plus i use some of the mods here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=270404

plus i use default steamvr settings (100% PD, etc)

829875673_DesktopScreenshot2020_08.22-14_53_53_60.thumb.png.25f3821b572aa1e4922b2d741cc85ff2.png

428418256_DesktopScreenshot2020_08.22-10_24_48_92.thumb.png.0c5596d1e9386448f0ea563fd8c23153.png

user58941_pic11493_1577965446.jpg.24d2f9fa14a1976c91193d19ec975f2c.jpg

Asus Z370-A | Intel i7 8700K @5.0GHz | Deepcool Maelstrom 120T Red | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA 1080ti 11GB SC2 | Kingston A2000 250GB NVMe 250GB for Windows 10 64-bit Pro OS, | Samsung 840PRO 120GB SSD & WD HDD 1TB & WD HDD 500GB for program files | 3x LG 24" IPS monitors | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | Thrustmaster FCS throttle and pedals | HP Reverb Pro, Oculus Rift CV1 (any many more stuff non flight sim related :helpsmilie:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

turn off shadows... drop the visibility range to high

Visibility range helped a lot, tomorrow i will work on shadows, i am not ready to live without them yet

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...