TWCS Throttle and Nyogel 767a

Donut

I am going to replace the factory grease in the TWCS Throttle with Nyogel 767a.

I have taken the throttle apart and it seems that the tension bar is the only piece that is in contact with the metal rails. Also, it looks like that the tension bar only contacts the upper half of the rails, meaning that Nyogel is not needed on the lower half.

What is the recommended application of the Nyogel? Do I just apply a small strip along the top of the rails? Would it be better to rub the Nyogel along the rails? Other than the where the potentiometer arm attaches to the slider, where else should I apply Nyogel?

Thanks!

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Disregard the above post. I finally found great information on how to apply Nyogel to the TWCS in the following article:

https://support.newgatesimms.com/flight-simulator-joystick-and-throttle-damping-case-study/

Hopefully this information can be of use to others who are interested in improving the grease and feel of their TWCS Throttle.

A little update...

I removed the factory grease and applied Nyogel 767a. I applied the Nyogel evenly all around the slide bars. It is a very noticeable and significant improvement in the overall feel of the throttle's movement. Small, fine, and precise adjustments are now possible and it now feels like a higher quality throttle than the price suggests.

However, I did notice that the movent of the throttle over it's full range of motion can be inconsistent at times. When moving slowly, the throttle maintains a smooth and even feel that requires the same amount of pressure to move. It's perfect when moving the throttle slowly, however; when moving the throttle quickly though, that smoothness changes at times and a difference in the force of dampening can be felt. The level of dampening is also greater at the bottom end of the throttle travel and lower at the top end for some reason.

I also noticed that the tension screw really has no impact now and is overpowered by the dampening of the Nyogel. Not a big deal. I just tightened the tension screw just enough to minimize the side to side wiggle that the throttle has.

I am very happy with the overall feel and level of dampening provided by the Nyogel, but I would like to figure out what is causing the inconsistent feel depending on how fast the throttle is moved. The only thing I can figure out is that I am applying downward/upward pressure on the throttle when I move it fast.

I'm also looking to lube the rails on my TWCS.

And contrary to the joystick gimbal, at the throttle rails I'm thinking in using some oil, precisely to avoid the stuck / friction issues.

Did you thought about some synthetic engine oil (5w40 or something), or do you believe it might corrode / attack plastic ?

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

I'm also looking to lube the rails on my TWCS.

And contrary to the joystick gimbal, at the throttle rails I'm thinking in using some oil, precisely to avoid the stuck / friction issues.

Did you thought about some synthetic engine oil (5w40 or something), or do you believe it might corrode / attack plastic ?

Yeah, the TWCS definitely needs something other than the factory grease/lube.

I chose Nyogel 767a because it seems to be the most recommended, has proven results, and is safe on plastic. I really don't know anything about other potential lubes.

Let me know what you end up using and how it goes.

However, I did notice that the movent of the throttle over it's full range of motion can be inconsistent at times. When moving slowly, the throttle maintains a smooth and even feel that requires the same amount of pressure to move. It's perfect when moving the throttle slowly, however; when moving the throttle quickly though, that smoothness changes at times and a difference in the force of dampening can be felt. The level of dampening is also greater at the bottom end of the throttle travel and lower at the top end for some reason.

I had the same when I first did mine, but it's much smoother now. Probably just takes some time to work it in.

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

miracle gel!

My TWCS is years old, and spent a lot of time in storage. My application was novice, i was so excited to squirt the stuff in there, i just quickly wiped the rails down with a paper towel then jammed the gel, trying to work it around to the bottom with the tip of the tube..

was gonna take it apart and take the rails out and do a better job evenly lubing them out, until i openned it up and thought "I'll try it the quick way, and if it doesn't work out i can take it apart and wash it down and do a better job the 2nd time."

this throttle feels better than it did when it was brand new!

• 2 weeks later...

I just applied 767A to my brand new TWCS and the difference is night and day. The link provided by BJM above did the trick. When I muster the energy, I'll put some in the T16000m stick as well.

A bit of warning, the stuff is difficult to squeeze out of the tube. Be patient. I squeezed too hard and blew a hole in the bottom of the tube and the goop ended up on my hands. It took a ton of scrubbing to get that tacky, sticky crud off my skin. On the other hand, feeling how the grease worked on my skin helped me understand how the stuff works when applied to the right surfaces.

• 4 weeks later...

Never ever use engine oil for anything else than filling it into an engine! NEVER! Especially not for greasing something you're going to touch with your bare hands! Although fresh engine oil isn't marked as toxic, you will suffer signs of intoxication pretty fast after this stuff enters your body (nausea, bellyache, vomiting, etc.). Also engine oil can cause cancer and pneumonia. Again, never use it to lube something you are going to touch afterwards. Never! Use Nyogel 767a for your flight controls and you'll be fine.

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2