SO I bought Hornet

DmitriKozlowsky

Eh.. whats $40. Besides F-16C is too slow and missing too many weapons and ECM features. I'll get it later.

I get pretty good performance out of Hornet. 90-100 FPS, except on field near other Hornets and F-16CMs. Then it struggles.

Now how do I export bottom color map display, as in Harrier?

DCS: F/A-18C , of all modules I have, most controls.

Viper is too slow??

Maybe he is referring to fps.....

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

40 FPS on 2080Ti. Yeah your settings or your system is bottlenecking. I have RTX 2060 Super. Outside of F/A-18C and F-16C, I get 120 fps on average. My fastest modules, are RAZBAM's Mirage and Harrier. A-10C is almost ar performance of AV-8B. All three of my helicopter modules, KA-50, UH-1H, and Gazelle, all get about 98-110 averaged. F-5E is not as FPS fast as RAZBAM's but close, about 10-15 FPS behind.

My guess is that F/A-18C and F-16C are simulating too much. Systems that are not necessary for sim to work. Real aircraft need Onboard Oxygen Generator , but simulated aircraft hardly. Or systems that are continuous simulation when they can be excluded. Like landing gear, during flight. But its just all speculation on my part. I generally avoid early access, unless there is a good sale. At half the price, I thought Hornet was a low risk acquisition. One area I did decide was not for me was two seat mods. I like Gazelle, but it is very difficult to fly, fight and survive, having to do task of both crewmen. So I wont be getting F-14, and possibly F-15E, unless AI WSO are implemented, where they can be commanded, and have some AI initiative.

You have some very weird logics and a maybe a slight obsession with FPS, no attack, just saying.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

FPS is critical. A lot of aviation is very subtle control and detailed movement. Low FPS delay response.If you play at 30 FPS and instantly switch to 120, you wont go back. Ideal is to match FPS to monitor's refresh rate (vertical). My panel is @144Hz. So closer to 144 I get the better, smoother the scene looks.

40 FPS on 2080Ti. Yeah your settings or your system is bottlenecking. I have RTX 2060 Super. Outside of F/A-18C and F-16C, I get 120 fps on average. My fastest modules, are RAZBAM's Mirage and Harrier. A-10C is almost ar performance of AV-8B. All three of my helicopter modules, KA-50, UH-1H, and Gazelle, all get about 98-110 averaged. F-5E is not as FPS fast as RAZBAM's but close, about 10-15 FPS behind.

System is otherwise bored. I9-9900K, 64G RAM, a pair of 1T M2 drives (one for system, one for DCS). Trying to remember the last time I flew something that wasn't an F-18 (maybe an F-5 getting the controls set up), so I'm pretty used to 30-40 FPS. Probably should play with graphics settings, eh? Never really thought about it before.

Eh.. whats $40. Besides F-16C is too slow and missing too many weapons and ECM features. I'll get it later.

I get pretty good performance out of Hornet. 90-100 FPS, except on field near other Hornets and F-16CMs. Then it struggles.

Now how do I export bottom color map display, as in Harrier?

DCS: F/A-18C , of all modules I have, most controls.

Just the bottom or all three? Bottom is CENTER_MFCD.

In Flight Sim X we're told that a big framerate killer is civilian traffic so I keep the civvy traffic option set low in FSX.

There's a civvy traffic option in F/A-18C too (and birds) which might speed up framerates if we disable it?

Incidentally my PC is pretty high-end but it still gets hot when running F/A-18C and I hope I won't get overheating problems during a long session.

PS- I haven't got DCS F-16 but I've seen youtube vids of it landing on a carrier in the sim, yet I thought in real life it's not a carrier plane?

Edited by PoorOldSpike

PS- I haven't got DCS F-16 but I've seen youtube vids of it landing on a carrier in the sim, yet I thought in real life it's not a carrier plane?

It's not and i'm sure in real life they'd never let you land on the boat.

Buzz

It's not and i'm sure in real life they'd never let you land on the boat.

It's not even something anyone would consider; 'hooks' on Air Force jets are about 1/3 the size of Navy aircraft, the undercarriage isn't rated for crashing into the deck at 750 FPS, there's no bridle hooks and the nose gear isn't rated for dragging the airframe into flight...the list is nearly endless.

However, DCS isn't real life. I still haven't bothered trying to hook my F5 onto the deck yet (F-16 hooks don't work). I know I've slammed my F-18 into the deck hard enough to bend metal and initiate a FNAEB, but that's not modeled either.

The goal for today (other than working on things that need done around the house) is to play with graphics settings and see what I can do about framerate.

Here's the monitor config I use (none of this was my idea; this is based entirely on the work of others and tweaked to my specific setup)

_  = function(p) return p; end;
name = _('RTPortaPit');
Description = '3 Cockpit Displays'

-- monitor setting: 5632x1440

Viewports =
{
   Center =    
   {
     x = 0;
     y = 0    ;
     width = 2560;
     height = 1440;
     viewDx = 0;
     viewDy = 0;
     aspect = 1.77778;
   }
}

-- Baby monitors set to 1024x1280 portrait mode.  
---

-- MON 3
LEFT_MFCD =
{
    x = 2590;        
    y = 85;         
    width = 940;
    height = 860;
}
-- MON 4 x=2560+1024=3584
CENTER_MFCD =
{