Successful Noob Story F-18

I put off starting DCS for a while now, even after acquiring the gear that I wanted to start. I felt like it would be far too difficult.

I started with the F-18 Hornet, as it has alot of training scenarios. Once I got my controls set, (Which was what I feared the most), I took too the training of the F-18 and have been working down the list.

Last night I successfully made a ground landing on my first try! I was pumped. I then, feeling overly confident, decided to attempt a carrier landing. Completed that successfully on my first try!! I was pumped and still am. Now I need to wrap my head around the weapon systems and will be working on that, and practicing more landings.

I used KappinHook's profiles for the T16000 Stick and Throttle linked here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305744/

Huge shoutout to KappinHook, that made it seamless.

Also a huge shoutout to Grim Reapers on the video to help setup DelanClip, here:

If I can do it, anyone can do it!

Edited by BIGNEWY
fixed youtube

PC: Ryzen 3800x, 5700XT, 32GB Ram, DelanCliP/Ps3 cam/Open Track, 32" 2k/144 Monitor, t16000 Stick/Throttle/Pedals, SSD

• ED Team

Hi PeteMitchell

Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your success story :)

We hope you continue to enjoy!

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

What a great times we have. New users trapping on a first try, doing AAR after 2 weeks... what was I doing those years thinking how hard is this? :thumbup:

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Welcome and congratz!:thumbup:

MODULES: A10C Warthog,AH-64 D APACHE,AJS Viggen,AV8B Harrier,BF109 K4,C101 Aviojet,F14 Tomcat,F15E Eagle,F16 Viper,F5 Tiger,F86 Sabre,FA18C Hornet,FW190A8,FW190D9,I16 Ishak,JF17 Thunder,KA50 Blackshark,L39Albatros,Mirage2000C,Mirage F-1,MI24P,MI8MVT2,MIG15BIS,MIG19P,MIG21BIS,Mosquito FB VI,P51D Mustang,P47D Thunderbolt,SA342 Gazell,SpitfireIX,TF51D,UH1H Huey,Yak52.

OTHER:Flamming cliffs,Combined Arms,WW2 Assets Pack,SuperCarrier.

TERRAINS: Nevada,Caucasus,Normandy,Persian Gulf,Syria,Channel,Marianas. 

Welcome Pete, and well done on your success, it took me shall we say lots of attempt to land on a carrier, mostly crashing into the back of it, glad i have a rest button :)

Utrinque Paratus

I7-9700K OCTA-CORE 3.6 GHZ / 4.8 GHZ

RAM 32 GB DDR4 (3000 MHZ)

NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - 8 GB GDDR6

STORAGE - 2TB SSD - 6 TB SATA

• 2 weeks later...

Great news on your landings.

How are your circuits?

(I just jotted this hardware info down so younger smarter people can help me troubleshoot possible flaws)

i7 9700K 3.7Ghz | ROG Strix RTX2080S GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB | WD 1TB-SSD | Corsair RGB 280mm Liquid CPU cooler | Asus TUF Z390-Plus w/DDR4 2666

TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswinds | HP Reverb G2

Nice work! Congrats. My first module was the Su-33 and the feeling of elation trapping the first try was hard to compare. Definitely a case of beginners luck! :P

Moving to the F/A-18 I made it a point that every time I played DCS, no matter what module or mission I was on, I had to attempt at least one carrier landing practice mission before I could quit.

Most days I'd do a handful of touch-and-go's with the hook up, just to build the muscle memory of rolling into the groove and flying the ball down - then end my session with a trap. The practice very quickly paid off. :)

Keep it up!