New Memeber, HW Question

Hi Everyone,

my name is Kris. I haven't yet put together my gear yet, but I am looking forward to learning all the different modules.

I have some question about HW. I will get an old workstation with two Xeon E5-2660 v2 processors. I would be using an HP Reverb headset and a 2080ti gpu. Do you have experience with this CPU in DCS? It's an Ivy Bridge architecture and i'm worried about its single core performance being able to hit 45 fps on the Reverb.

I also have issues with the Reverb disconnecting so often then I can't even finish setup in the WMR portal.

Regards,

Kris

The CPU is old and slow compared to your GPU. The motherboard could be troublesome with the new card (check compatibility for PCIex x16 card and power demands) and you're stuck with older memory. Check the PC power supply for power demands and cables needed. You need all the computational power you can get for VR.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Hi Kris, even on CV1 with a 2500K which was beneath the CV1 minimum spec I struggled with DCS, and there weren't issues with "normal VR optimised" games, jsut DCS. It's absolutley about the CPU. Most people recognise enormous changes in fluidity in VR the more modern architecture they have for their CPU. Whilst I'm happy with a 6700, the "over ninethousand gang" report smoother, less jitters and stops etc. You can still get those on good CPU's with DCS, it's absolutley packing the single thread with work, I'm afraid it is likely to be a terribly unworkable configuration.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

• 3 weeks later...

My CPU is actually the older v1 version. I bought an RTX2080ti and I get 9-15ms GPU and 12-20ms CPU fram times. My framerate in Su25 free flight is around 38. I don't know if this is correct but I think that I need a 30% faster CPU to remove the bottleneck and be able to hit stable 45fps.

I can upgrade my CPU to something that has 33% higher single core clock speed. hopefully that will do the job.