Help-You CAN'T Drop A Bomb On Me

Fang333333

Hey folks

I've been working with the AGM-62 and having poor results. In the main training I'm ok. Also in the Practice mission its ok. But when I try one of the single mission's that came with the Persia map I have serious issues.

The mission target is a building and missile launchers. My problem is that when using the pod (because the AGM itself, it does not seem to acquire right) it constantly loses it's target. Basically, if I drop it and make corrections in the first 1/3 of the AGM's flight, it's mostly ok. If I so much as tap the TDC after a 1/3rd of its travel to the target, the bomb fly's over.

Even I get lucky and release it dead on, if I make any slight correction after 1/3 of its travel, the bomb loses it's lock and slews around wildly. This has been tested at many altitudes from 15000 to 25000 and many speeds.

I am also setting my waypoint designate target and letting it lock but on release it slew "jumps" up and I need to quickly point back down.

I thought the purpose of these was to be able to gently guide it in, no?

Is this normal?

I am 3 patch releases behind (the last 2.5 before the 2.6 OB FPS killer) So could this just be patching problem?

Eager to hear your advice,

Fang

Edited by Fang333333

Try creating your own uncluttered simple AGM-62 scenario then you can test it out without the distraction of having other things to worry about, I do it all the time..:)

I'll try the AGM-62 next and let you know how I get on.

EDIT- ok I just created an AGM-62 Walleye TV-guided glide bomb mission and flew around dropping them manually (ie no guidance pod) on big juicy buildings and ships and they worked fine as long as I had a solid lock, otherwise they were x'd out and couldn't be launched.

On a few occasions they missed the target after launch, probably because I released them too soon/too late/too low/too slow or whatever, I shall have to read up on launch parameters.

I'll try using a pod later so I can steer the things.

I haven't got your Persian map, but you say your Walleyes don't seem to acquire right without a pod against the target building and missile launchers so I'd suggest you fly the mission several times to see if you can get a manual lock without the pod.

Edited by PoorOldSpike

Try creating your own uncluttered simple AGM-62 scenario then you can test it out without the distraction of having other things to worry about, I do it all the time..:)

I'll try the AGM-62 next and let you know how I get on.

Thanks! Actually when I saw your response I was doing just that. I went to mission editor and moved my plane close to the target. After many days I may have figured out a system.

Basically, If I release within 7.4 miles and quickly steer the missile back on target, I have a chance. Then I have to ever so slightly nudge the thing, wait, nudge wait. Its not totally solid, but yesterday I did complete the full hour and a half mission killing both targets.

For reference it was the Dawn Raiders mission