F86 AI Damage Model - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-25-2019, 12:50 AM   #1
Boomer20

Default F86 AI Damage Model

Now I know the AI damage model/Flight model is a bit of a mysterious but I felt like mentioning this.
1v1 Dogfighting with an F86 in a Mig15. I shot the tail off as shown in the picture. Still manoeuvres no issue. Maybe slightly less turn rate that's all. Later get behind and pump those 37mms into the back and the result damage is what you can see in the picture. Smoking engine and no ailerons. Having fought a lot of WWII AI I've noticed that the DM improvements meant that normally once the engine starts smoking that bad it won't last long and eventually gives out. The Sabre however kept going, kept manoeuvring, kept doing those gravity defying stall turns and super accelerations even with most of its control surfaces gone. And the engine never died. He just kept going. At least as a positive his turn rate was terrible without the ailerons.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen_190425_102348.png
Views:	168
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	209279  
Boomer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:17 PM   #2
Eviscerador

I'm not saying that the current damage model is OK. BUT:
- Destroying the rudder has no effect on turn rate, only on lateral stability.
- What you got ware flaps, not ailerons.
- Considering the white and black smoke, most likely it was leaking fuel or hydraulic fluid and had a damaged engine. Most of the time when you get an AI that way it will shut down the engine in few minutes.
- If you said his roll rate was terrible, then what you got probably was the hydraulic system (hence the white smoke)

Can the AI damage models be wonky from time to time? Yeah, the damage model is designed to interact with missiles mainly. We all expect that with the new damage model they are going to introduce in the warbirds, everything will improve.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:55 PM   #3
Squiffy

LOL! Maybe I should buy the MiG and enjoy some pounding firepower...to little effect. Haha just kidding. Yes the AI seems wonky and all the points above are on target. It's almost as if the AI was designed to make you mad, and not be a worthy adversary. That's why we always hear about flying online. That's all well and good, but I don't want to "go out in public" and spoil for a fight without practicing. That gets to another psychological point where some involved in the community, coders or online "vultures," get their kicks out of sticking it noobs and rookies. What the heck ever happened to sportsmanship and honor? Ah well, I'm ranting (as usual haha). The AI will eventually punch out with that much damage but the unbelievability of it is obvious. Talk about an immersion kill.

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.
Squiffy, a. slang. 1. Intoxicated; drunk. 2. Askew, skew-whiff. - OED

"Put that sucker in a 4G turn and keep it there!!" - Maj. Gen. "Boots" Blesse
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:45 PM   #4
msalama
Veteran

Quote:
and all the points above are on target
At least the one where he claimed to have shot both ailerons out was not, since the AI aircraft in the picture still has them attached.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:09 PM   #5
Boomer20

Thanks for the response guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eviscerador View Post
I'm not saying that the current damage model is OK. BUT:
- Destroying the rudder has no effect on turn rate, only on lateral stability.
- What you got ware flaps, not ailerons.
- Considering the white and black smoke, most likely it was leaking fuel or hydraulic fluid and had a damaged engine. Most of the time when you get an AI that way it will shut down the engine in few minutes.
- If you said his roll rate was terrible, then what you got probably was the hydraulic system (hence the white smoke)
- It would be nice if there was some sort of way to show that lateral instability with the lack of rudder in the AI. Particularly in those hard stall turns where I assume you need to kick the rudder to nose over. The effect on turn rate was just something I noticed happens, at least its a positive over the old turn it into swiss cheese and it acts like nothing has hit it.
- All I've been making mission for and flying lately is the Sabre so you would think I would have noticed that. I've put shame on my 20 odd years of love of flight.
- I was expecting the engine to shut down in a few minutes and it did not, I was surprised. Maybe was just a one off and I was impatient and didn't wait long enough. Shame I was careless with my ammo and forget I was flying an interceptor that doesn't have a huge amount.
- If thats actually how they've modelled it, that's a nice touch and good to see. I wonder if the AI can run out of Hydraulic fluid? When I've lost hydraulics in the Sabre it didn't take long to lose most control, was still flyable to a point but not quick as good as the good old AI buddies.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:30 PM   #6
Squiffy

Correct mslama. Gotta be careful with the word "all" although I did mean in the post above, not all the posts

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

Last edited by Squiffy; 04-25-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:42 PM   #7
Squiffy

Hmm, I'm curious now, just how different is the AI FM from Player? In both jets and props, the torque and roll instability at low airspeed is challenging and realistic AFAIK. But then the AI is not and we see the example here. When scissoring against AI, you struggle with control "reversal" and coordination to execute a nice S while the AI seems air show perfect even while smoking and punched full of holes. Maybe a wobble can be created for the AI so at a certain level of damage a random or programmed wobble happens to simulate damaged systems? It's probably the simplification of the AI FM that causes this but it would be nice to now how.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:09 PM   #8
Boomer20

Well for starters the AI FM is an SFM. For me the issue seems to fall on the instant acceleration and deceleration in near level flight meaning they almost never overshoot you and if they do they go into that endless climb to get away. The other one I've noticed is there super tight turning circles, certain AI aircraft are worse than others (looking at the spitfire, mustang, mig15, f86 and F5 here) and while sometimes you can still outturn them usually your starting to black out, I've even gone to F2 when this has happened to see the AI pulling a tighter turn than me and they are pulling like 4g will I'm around 7.
Now like all Flight Simmers I know all the solutions to how to fix these (not including just be a better pilot) but given that I'm no coder or software engineer and I have no idea how the SFM are DM or AI for that matter are coding there's zero point in me stating how to fix that.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:36 AM   #9
Squiffy

In Microsoft Combat Flight Sim 3, the FM had two files for players. Not sure about AI. There was a database of parameters kinda like the aircraft.lua and then there was the actual FM file which was a bit more tricky with a dedicated .exe editor to generate the code. But it was built with an interface like a database with fields for the aeronautical figures. It also had model hard point, contact, and damage box info. My deepest dive into this stuff was with the Spitfire MkV add on. MS Silverlight was way cool and we built 3 additional theaters for that game! 4 counting WWI. The tail wheel was so dang weak that you could break it easily taxiing on grass. It was a huge immersion kill. Seriously it was a stupid low break point at like 2 pounds or some nonsense. Once I kicked it up to reasonable force levels given aircraft and pilot, it was better. I also built grass airfield facilities with many files to render it in game. A big one was the airstrip surface data where the hardness was controlled to make concrete different from grass. We used this to allow a softer but not plowed field death level grass aerodromes for the BOB early mod. I also created a Sikorsky R-4 helicopter flight model based on the Storch STOL FM. Using wind, you could hover and land. It was very cool. My dad worked on them in the Air Corps after WWII and earned his GI bill for college. He was an engineering professor for 35 years and is still kicking, reading FlyPast magazine at 91 years!

Old 04-26-2019, 06:20 AM   #10
Boomer20

I'd love to explore tinkering with the AI for my own private use, maybe with mods (custom AI aircraft etc) but I don't know if you can with official modules though. But again you gotta know what your doing and I don't.