Missing feature of the cooling system? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-19-2018, 02:49 PM   #11
Magic Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by msalama View Post
Ach, right you are Zach, it's the hydraulic pressure vent. The morning coffee hasn't kicked in yet I notice... but if the primary use for those valves would be maintenance, does it really make a difference from our POV?
I said it wasn't really for maintenance. I think what you mean is the drain plug. That is used for maintenance
Old 12-19-2018, 11:14 PM   #12
Magic Zach

The vent exits for both left and right are located beneath the rearmost exhaust on each side. I shuffled through a good number of photos of Mustangs, D through B/C, and they all have this exit.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	200106

P-51D-20...

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	200109
...with one of the two exits

Name:	45000659_10156775009754350_4548196965749358592_o.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	200108
better photo

Attachment 200105

Name:	missing11.png
Views:	148
Size:	886.9 KB
ID:	200114

Name:	missing22.png
Views:	150
Size:	995.6 KB
ID:	200113

Not there in the DCS P-51, as of now
Old 12-19-2018, 11:19 PM   #13
Magic Zach

Word of "mouth" from Robin Collord:

"I took off with the coolant door in auto...on a hot Louisiana day. ( Normally I always took off with the doors open and would go auto after take off.) right after the gear were up and checks accomplished....the pop off relieved and the right side of the windshield and canopy was covered with coolant steam. I knew immediately what the problem was and returned to land and check for problems....luckily it was OK. A quick call back to Aero Sport made me feel better (Supe Hoisington and Dick Harrison ) gave some idea on things to check and monitor."
Old 03-23-2019, 03:06 AM   #14
Magic Zach

I would appreciate it if an admin on this forum like Nineline or Yo-Yo dropped a word here...

Last edited by Magic Zach; 03-23-2019 at 03:39 AM.
Magic Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 05:19 AM   #15
Snapage

Interesting, Im surprised something like this was not modelled if it has something to do with in flight procedures. Considering the 109 has its left and right coolant cutoff cockpit controls functioning in DCS.
Snapage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:33 AM   #16
Magic Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapage View Post
Interesting, Im surprised something like this was not modelled if it has something to do with in flight procedures. Considering the 109 has its left and right coolant cutoff cockpit controls functioning in DCS.
I hope ED takes a look over it again, when they redesign the cooling dynamics of these engines.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:46 AM   #17
grafspee

do i understand this right this vent valves are for safty in case of coollant over pressure building too fast??
in dcs i alwayes just before take off roll open coolant radiator shut as i noticed the transversal of radiator shuts are way to slow during take off and p-51 alwayes overheats during my take off. with radiator manual open temps are in check

Last edited by grafspee; 04-09-2019 at 07:49 AM.
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:01 PM   #18
Magic Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafspee View Post
do i understand this right this vent valves are for safty in case of coollant over pressure building too fast??
in dcs i alwayes just before take off roll open coolant radiator shut as i noticed the transversal of radiator shuts are way to slow during take off and p-51 alwayes overheats during my take off. with radiator manual open temps are in check
When the coolant PSI was 30 or higher, or 1.5PSI higher than the atmospheric pressure, the valve would pop. According to the maintenance manual (which not only has info for maintenance, but other details like this as well, for many different systems. It's big, a ~600 page manual split between two halves). Aftercoolant popped at 18-20PSI.
Apparently, according to Rich, if the aftercoolant popped, then you were really screwed. Popping the coolant wasn't as big a deal.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:22 PM   #19
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Zach View Post
When the coolant PSI was 30 or higher, or 1.5PSI higher than the atmospheric pressure, the valve would pop. According to the maintenance manual (which not only has info for maintenance, but other details like this as well, for many different systems. It's big, a ~600 page manual split between two halves). Aftercoolant popped at 18-20PSI.
Apparently, according to Rich, if the aftercoolant popped, then you were really screwed. Popping the coolant wasn't as big a deal.
first i though that you are talking about inHg but aster a split second i realised that you are talking about PSI so 1 atmosphere is about 14.5 PSI so if coolant pops up above 30PSI this leading to 15.5psi overpressure not 1.5psi 1.5psi overpressure in cooling system hiting good 130 celcius would by a little too low i think.

Last edited by grafspee; 04-09-2019 at 04:27 PM.
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:20 PM   #20
Magic Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafspee View Post
first i though that you are talking about inHg but aster a split second i realised that you are talking about PSI so 1 atmosphere is about 14.5 PSI so if coolant pops up above 30PSI this leading to 15.5psi overpressure not 1.5psi 1.5psi overpressure in cooling system hiting good 130 celcius would by a little too low i think.
Where are you pulling 15.5 from?
I think I didn't word it clearly enough. The coolant relief valve will pop of either of the conditions occur (according to the text in the maintenance manual):
A:The pressure in the coolant system exceeds 30PSI
B:The pressure in the header tank is 1.5PSI below the pressure of the surrounding atmosphere.

I would imagine that last one would be heavily dependent on altitude. Thinking about it, for that last one, the valve would pop to let pressure IN, rather than out. Right? I'd imagine that would mean the valve would pop if (for example) you suddenly dived from 25,000ft to 5,000ft in 30 seconds?

Tags
coolant, feature, feature request, missing, p-51