Storm of War - DCS Historical Server - Page 9 - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2019, 05:54 AM   #81
philstyle
Senior Member
 
philstyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: The Aeotearoan Republic of Niederbayern
Posts: 1,074
Default

__________________
My YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz


i5-6600k, GTX 1080Ti, 16BG 2666 RAM, ASUS Maximus XIII Ranger Mobo

Last edited by philstyle; 03-14-2019 at 05:57 AM.
philstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:22 PM   #82
Hayduke
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 4
Default

What times of day and week is this server most active? I have dropped in a few times all alone, which made for some fun ground pounding, but would like to fly with others. I am in the US, so I suspect the server is empty often because of the time of day I usually drop in (Friday evenings and weekends CST).
Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:14 PM   #83
philstyle
Senior Member
 
philstyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: The Aeotearoan Republic of Niederbayern
Posts: 1,074
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
What times of day and week is this server most active? I have dropped in a few times all alone, which made for some fun ground pounding, but would like to fly with others. I am in the US, so I suspect the server is empty often because of the time of day I usually drop in (Friday evenings and weekends CST).
Currently server only runs once per week. Sunday nights, EU times.
It might to back to 24/7 operations once the FW190A8 comes out in early June.
__________________
My YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz


i5-6600k, GTX 1080Ti, 16BG 2666 RAM, ASUS Maximus XIII Ranger Mobo

Last edited by philstyle; 05-17-2019 at 12:24 PM.
philstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:38 AM   #84
RIVER
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 248
Default

Remove the AI Phil and all labels too, promote the server and let it run 24/7. We need a counterpart to Burning Skies. If we get folks to play on your server we could get a boost for WWII MP in DCS.
Bomber AI is ok though, fighter AI makes people leave.

I know, servers are expensive but only Saturdays helps nobody. You could make us pay somehow, I don't know ...

Again fellas, spotting might be hard but labels destroy WWII MP servers. If we loose the part where we have to search or can hide and sneak the whole thing is a mess. Whats the point just flying to the next label furball. It isn't that hard, P 51 flicker over forrests, sometimes you loose a contact, sounds good to me ...
RIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:23 AM   #85
philstyle
Senior Member
 
philstyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: The Aeotearoan Republic of Niederbayern
Posts: 1,074
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVER View Post
Remove the AI Phil and all labels too, promote the server and let it run 24/7. We need a counterpart to Burning Skies. If we get folks to play on your server we could get a boost for WWII MP in DCS. Bomber AI is ok though, fighter AI makes people leave.

Labels have been off for a long time. The visuals/ spotting is Vanilla, and has been for months.


I am going to keep the AI in though, for the following reasons and under these conditions:
1. If the AI is in, at least when ED fix the DM/AI we will already be set to use them. Eventually I would like to only have Ground attack, recon and transport AI on the server. Howeve, we don't have the AI assets for that so I have to use what we have now, and try to make the best of it.
2. SoW has always been about providing an atmosphere and not just a dogfight. The AI adds to the general environment/ atmosphere.
3. SoW is also about trying to provide a place for "single player" people to try multiplayer. You don't have to do PvP on SoW if you don't want to. It should be possible to do something meaningful (like patrols, bomber escort, ground attack etc) without necessarily meeting a human. In order for that to be possible, AI aicraft are necessary.
4. If the AI is too hard, their skill levels will be reduced. The AI is mainly there to keep people on their toes and provide an "active" war environment. They're not there to make poeple's life impossible. I will respond to feedback and reduce the AI skill if people find it impossible to defeat them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVER View Post
I know, servers are expensive but only Saturdays helps nobody. You could make us pay somehow, I don't know ...

Sunday, not saturday

It's not a cost issue at all. Runnning the server costs me almost nothing. I use my old gaming machine and I have a fast connection.The reason I only run it on Sundays is beacsue at least then I know people will join.However, if I was convinced there was demand during the week, then I would run the server 24/7 again.
I also have plans to add pilot/ player statistics, but I'm still looking for the lowest-impact way of doing this.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVER View Post
Again fellas, spotting might be hard but labels destroy WWII MP servers. If we loose the part where we have to search or can hide and sneak the whole thing is a mess. Whats the point just flying to the next label furball. It isn't that hard, P 51 flicker over forrests, sometimes you loose a contact, sounds good to me ...

As above, labels (nor custom dot-labels) are NOT activated on SoW.
__________________
My YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz


i5-6600k, GTX 1080Ti, 16BG 2666 RAM, ASUS Maximus XIII Ranger Mobo
philstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:40 PM   #86
RIVER
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 248
Default

Good to have people like you phil, thank you very much. Hard bread as we say here in Germany but never give up. It is our game, our dream, props are so much fun !!!
RIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:24 PM   #87
Hunter Joker
Member
 
Hunter Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstyle View Post
Labels have been off for a long time. The visuals/ spotting is Vanilla, and has been for months.


I am going to keep the AI in though, for the following reasons and under these conditions:
1. If the AI is in, at least when ED fix the DM/AI we will already be set to use them. Eventually I would like to only have Ground attack, recon and transport AI on the server. Howeve, we don't have the AI assets for that so I have to use what we have now, and try to make the best of it.
2. SoW has always been about providing an atmosphere and not just a dogfight. The AI adds to the general environment/ atmosphere.
3. SoW is also about trying to provide a place for "single player" people to try multiplayer. You don't have to do PvP on SoW if you don't want to. It should be possible to do something meaningful (like patrols, bomber escort, ground attack etc) without necessarily meeting a human. In order for that to be possible, AI aicraft are necessary.
4. If the AI is too hard, their skill levels will be reduced. The AI is mainly there to keep people on their toes and provide an "active" war environment. They're not there to make poeple's life impossible. I will respond to feedback and reduce the AI skill if people find it impossible to defeat them.




Sunday, not saturday

It's not a cost issue at all. Runnning the server costs me almost nothing. I use my old gaming machine and I have a fast connection.The reason I only run it on Sundays is beacsue at least then I know people will join.However, if I was convinced there was demand during the week, then I would run the server 24/7 again.
I also have plans to add pilot/ player statistics, but I'm still looking for the lowest-impact way of doing this.





As above, labels (nor custom dot-labels) are NOT activated on SoW.
Keep on Phil, Your vision is the right one... We need atmosphere.. PVE/PVP mix, not a Unreal Tournament PVP arena, at least until we will have players who can y bombers, recon and so on...

Inviato dal mio BLA-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk
__________________
"La follia è come la gravità, basta una piccola spinta e....."

http://medusasquad.altervista.org/
http://medusasquad.altervista.org/forum/
https://www.youtube.com/user/garaganotube
Hunter Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:34 AM   #88
philstyle
Senior Member
 
philstyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: The Aeotearoan Republic of Niederbayern
Posts: 1,074
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstyle View Post
However, if I was convinced there was demand during the week, then I would run the server 24/7 again.

I've now put the server up with a mission rotation. If it manages to attarct some players then I will persist with it. However, if there is no demand, I will revert back to just running sunday night missions.


I plan to leave it like this until Mid-June to see if the 190 A-8 has an impact.
__________________
My YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz


i5-6600k, GTX 1080Ti, 16BG 2666 RAM, ASUS Maximus XIII Ranger Mobo
philstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:43 AM   #89
Red_oktober
Member
 
Red_oktober's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 133
Default

This is a cool idea to add stats! I thought about it a lot and decided for myself that DCS is not suitable for big battles. But its very good for ordinary flights. I would like to have the usual patrol flights on the route from the tablet.. When they tell you your course, your altitude, and your flight time. And you don't know if there will be bandits on your way or not. Patrol flights, reconnaissance flights.. Finally just training flights to get acquainted with the terrain.. What pilots usually do.

And it would be very good to have stats with a reward for regular flights, not just for downed fighters. DCS also has a unique ability to configure system failures. May have a small probability of failure is needed for those who want realism. Is it possible to tie several airfields to one own task? Not to select the job, and to have a job near the field..

I recently found myself in a field at night. There were no spotlights, no signal lights. Is there something provided to help with the landing?

I also really liked flying over the water. I was never able to find the ships from my mission. But it was very exciting. Above the water have to navigate the instruments, it makes me feel the atmosphere of those flights..
__________________

Даёшь Bell P-39 Airacobra!

Last edited by Red_oktober; 05-21-2019 at 01:22 PM.
Red_oktober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:55 AM   #90
Euan Emblin
Junior Member
 
Euan Emblin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Rugby, United Kingdom
Posts: 77
Default

Hello Phil


At times it must seem to you that you're a bit of a John the Baptist character, crying in the wildnerness, but if you build it right then the people will come. You are doing a great job, personally I watch all your videos and appreciate how you help others to gain further accessibility into the world of warbirds.
You're not alone in this and I would love to be able to take advantage of the SoW server 24/7 as I have an unusual day/night shift pattern that enables me to do so.


Please keep it going mate


Euan
c/s 'MadDog'
__________________
- 'The Dog's Rollocks' - is a water cooled behemoth :
i9 9900K@5GHz/RTX 2080Ti/32 Gb 3600MHz RAM/M.2 NVMe onboard drives/System driving Pimax 5K Plus/TM Warthog/MFG Crosswind/Gametrix Jetseat
Euan Emblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:31 PM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.