Storm of War - DCS Historical Server - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-18-2018, 02:33 PM   #21
birdstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstyle View Post
Have now implemented restricted Field of View on the server for all player aircraft.

Minimum field of view has been increased from 20 to 30 degrees. A 20 degree field of view is quite extreme, and allows details of models beyond normal visual range to be discerned b y the player. Bringing this value up to 30 just takes some of the extreme end out.

Maximum field of view reduced from 120 (in spit) and 140 (in german aircraft) down to 105. This removes the "fish eye" distortion that comes in above about 110 degrees. It also means that the tail section and headrest of the aircraft is more of a realistic hinderance to pilot vision behind the aircaft.

tested what impact this has on vr headsets?
btw, hope you get rid of the AI at some point, up until then i will probably stay out of that server, which is a pity, as the missions sound interesting, and the ping is also very good for me.
birdstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:54 PM   #22
philstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdstrike View Post
tested what impact this has on vr headsets?
Campbell has flown with VR on the server, he's the guy to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdstrike View Post
btw, hope you get rid of the AI at some point, up until then i will probably stay out of that server, which is a pity, as the missions sound interesting, and the ping is also very good for me.
There will always be AI on SoW servers. For many reasons. It's a deliberate design choice which, if it alienates some players then that's a small price in our opinion. We're not chasing player numbers, our goal is an immersive environment that isn't essentially an empty death-match area.

1. A big part of the mission design is to enable people to play it as though it were single player, but to also engage in PvP. Having AI means that even when the server is empty, someone can log on and still have to think/ worry about getting bounced in the combat area. A combat patrol when no other players are about still runs the risk of bumping into the airborne enemy.

2. The AI in SoW are used sparingly, and with intent. They're not just random flights which re-spawn all the time and auto generate, rather they are tasked with doing things that are sensible within the mission context. They will take off and land. They will fly cross-map flight paths, rather than just circling around in some kind of artificial "PvE-area" int he sky. They will attack meaningful/ sensible targets. Sometimes they will not be there, other times they will.

3. Large formations (iconic for WW2 daytime air fighting) - especially bomber formations cannot be achieved in DCS WW2 without AI.

4. Whilst their combat behavior is ropey, we're not going to remove all the AI. this would just require us to have to build all our missions up again once the developer fixes their combat routines. This would be too much wasted effort. So, we build the missions now in anticipation of better AI routines from the platform in the future.

5. In a few few limited cases, people can spawn with an AI wingman. This is a deliberate mission feature designed to encourage people who wouldn't normally play online to give it a try. This also ties into reason 1.

6. AI ground units and ships cannot be avoided, unless people only want static ground units with no firing capability.

7. ED have stated many times that a number of the WW2 aircraft will be AI only, at least for some time, possibly forever. In order to flesh out the sky with these types we will be forced to use AI. We want to see a mosquito now and then, or a Liberator, or a JU88. So long as those frames will be Ai-only, then AI will be the only way to get them into the environment.

OK. That explains why.
If people don't like it, fortunately there are other servers to play on. My opinion is that the AI, despite the bugs, still adds a lot.

i5-6600k, GTX 1080Ti, 16BG 2666 RAM, ASUS Maximus XIII Ranger Mobo

Last edited by philstyle; 10-18-2018 at 05:58 PM.
philstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:14 AM   #23
rogonaut

fully agree on that one, thx for the effort - i will join downloaded open beta
rogonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:04 AM   #24
Hunter Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstyle View Post
Campbell has flown with VR on the server, he's the guy to ask.

There will always be AI on SoW servers. For many reasons. It's a deliberate design choice which, if it alienates some players then that's a small price in our opinion. We're not chasing player numbers, our goal is an immersive environment that isn't essentially an empty death-match area.

1. A big part of the mission design is to enable people to play it as though it were single player, but to also engage in PvP. Having AI means that even when the server is empty, someone can log on and still have to think/ worry about getting bounced in the combat area. A combat patrol when no other players are about still runs the risk of bumping into the airborne enemy.

2. The AI in SoW are used sparingly, and with intent. They're not just random flights which re-spawn all the time and auto generate, rather they are tasked with doing things that are sensible within the mission context. They will take off and land. They will fly cross-map flight paths, rather than just circling around in some kind of artificial "PvE-area" int he sky. They will attack meaningful/ sensible targets. Sometimes they will not be there, other times they will.

3. Large formations (iconic for WW2 daytime air fighting) - especially bomber formations cannot be achieved in DCS WW2 without AI.

4. Whilst their combat behavior is ropey, we're not going to remove all the AI. this would just require us to have to build all our missions up again once the developer fixes their combat routines. This would be too much wasted effort. So, we build the missions now in anticipation of better AI routines from the platform in the future.

5. In a few few limited cases, people can spawn with an AI wingman. This is a deliberate mission feature designed to encourage people who wouldn't normally play online to give it a try. This also ties into reason 1.

6. AI ground units and ships cannot be avoided, unless people only want static ground units with no firing capability.

7. ED have stated many times that a number of the WW2 aircraft will be AI only, at least for some time, possibly forever. In order to flesh out the sky with these types we will be forced to use AI. We want to see a mosquito now and then, or a Liberator, or a JU88. So long as those frames will be Ai-only, then AI will be the only way to get them into the environment.

OK. That explains why.
If people don't like it, fortunately there are other servers to play on. My opinion is that the AI, despite the bugs, still adds a lot.

Totally agree, there are plenty of servers online for "FPS simmer" or even others arena game... To be consistent, immersive and a bit realistic WWII skies and land must be populated... So AI are a "must to have".

Inviato dal mio BLA-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

http://medusasquad.altervista.org/
http://medusasquad.altervista.org/forum/
https://www.youtube.com/user/garaganotube
Hunter Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 02:31 PM   #25
Domestos

For the Caucasus mission, do I need the WW2 asset pack thing? I'm saving for a Tomcat at the moment but this looks like great fun.

Domestos
Domestos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:05 PM   #26
xvii-Dietrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domestos View Post
For the Caucasus mission, do I need the WW2 asset pack thing?

Yes.
xvii-Dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:51 AM   #27
El_Babuino

Hello, gents. Some questions.

- Bots(fw190) sometimes stuck\freeze in air, and then teleport. Is it normal thing?
- is ground units resurrection after some time?
El_Babuino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:27 AM   #28
philstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Babuino View Post
Hello, gents. Some questions.
- Bots(fw190) sometimes stuck\freeze in air, and then teleport. Is it normal thing?
This is no intentional. Probaly a problem with net code or ping at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Babuino View Post
- is ground units resurrection after some time?
No. If a mission does not have enough units to attack, let me know, I can always add more.

Old 10-20-2018, 02:07 PM   #29
Mastiff
Veteran

Hi, Philstyle,

Great work been flying on the servers now, that my ISP has finally fixed my issues,

Love the work man, great job on the maps.

I only have one grip and thats with unit covered in the trees. how come they can fire
through the trees when covered and the trees not stopping the rounds?

and I was given a mission to destroy a unit at GH21 and there was nothing there.

and radio coms on the units not working?

Thanks once again for your work.

I can't wait to see more.

"Asus z370 MX||i7x8700k||ddr4-32gb PC3200||RTX 2080-8gb||EVGA SN 1300 G2 ||turtle beach elite pro 7.1||Win10x64||TrackIr 4/ir||VKB,MCG\ViRpiL,T50cm|MFG CrossWinds||X55 Throttle||G19 Keyboard/Mouse|| Rift VR
32 Samsung|| 1x9inc||
Mastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 02:46 PM   #30
philstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiff View Post
Hi, Philstyle,
I only have one grip and thats with unit covered in the trees. how come they can fire
through the trees when covered and the trees not stopping the rounds?
Hey Mastiff! Nice to see some 71st tags on the server, its like old times
Firstly, it's proably best to ask detailed questions etc over on the SoW forums - there's quite a bit of mission-related discussion going on over there.. But I can answer these ones here.

OK, so the issue with units firing through trees is a DCS problem, and not a server-only thing.
I generally try to place units is "sensible" locations. I know on some servers, the ground units are just placed in the middle of open ground, exposed to all sorts of attack that no commander in their right mind would normally tolerate!
I try to build unit formations that use the terrain and the local landscape features in a semi-realistic manner. So, a column or unit will disperse around open ground by hugging the treeline, like in the image below. Whilst this is, in my opinion, more "realistic" it does mean that problems with the base game such as line-of-sight through trees become more glaring. But for now its just something we have to live with.

Quote:
and I was given a mission to destroy a unit at GH21 and there was nothing there.
What map/ mission was this on?
The units should be there.. but sometimes it takes a little effort to find them. Check roads in particular, and look for vehicles parked along tree lines.
Worst case scenario, you can open up the mission from the downloaded ntrk file and check in the mission editor exactly where they are.

Quote:
and radio coms on the units not working?
I've noticed that radios seem to need to be set up on the ground before takeoff. There is nothing different in the way I have the server set up, to the way any other server is set up....
Unfortunately I can't explain why any individual players might have issues...