Valve Index Hands On - Page 27 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-19-2019, 10:52 PM   #261
sk000tch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brixmis View Post
I was just browsing the Index page on Steam - £37 for an additional "Face Gasket"!

Available from 31st July.

In fact, I've just seen on the www site that this is for two of them - that's more like it!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...adset__2_Pack/

edit: btw, I also read that the normal 30 day returns policy for Steam hardware is reduced to 14 days for the Index. That's long enough for a thorough test.
FYI valve isn't trying to gouge people, I think the hard frame magnetic design and materials used just add up. The hook & loop replacements with decent materials for other headsets are $30. Fortunately just like they do with open sourcing everything, valve is releasing the CAD files for the gasket to allow aftermarket designs like vrcover (which, if you've not tried, completely changes my opinion of my O+), to the full custom ones you can get at tradeshow and such where they scan your head/face and print you one. I haven't had the pleasure of trying one, but a lot of people swear by them.

*Edit- for anyone who hasn't seen, yesterday they did a deep dive re FOV on Index website, some good info, explains edge clarity and should dispel the conspiracy theories on why they wouldn't publish a FOV number. Also, stay tuned as it looks like we will get a couple more before release. Inter esting to see their design decisions explained d in such Detail:
https://www.valvesoftware.com/en/index/deep-dive/fov

i9 9900k @ 5.1, EVGA 2080ti FTW3 w/ HC @ 2150, 32GB @ 3866, 970 Pro 1TB (DCS/Games)/970 Pro 512 (OS). WH Throttle w/ delta sim slew, Gunfighter Mk II MCG Pro, WarBRD + WH grip, MFG crosswinds, Valve Index

Last edited by sk000tch; 06-19-2019 at 11:00 PM.
sk000tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:35 PM   #262
Brixmis

I think it's a perfectly reasonable price for two facepads. I've had my Rift since June 2016 and have always used aftermarket interfaces and covers/facepads. The prices are pretty similar across the board in my experience. The ones I've used, from VR Cover/Lens Labs, have been excellent - even if their first cover products were a bit of a let down, which lost them many sales due to gaining a poor rep.
Always bad news when you are just starting a business venture, even if the later products are outstanding, such a thing can be hard to recover from.

DCSW Pictorial Guides
Brixmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:52 PM   #263
Vullcan

First shipments are starting to get sent out, should have some feedback from DCS users next week.

Looks like valve is having Fedex schedule all shipments for arrival on the 28th, so if you live close to where its getting sent from you get sent yours last.

Last edited by Vullcan; 06-21-2019 at 09:59 PM.
Vullcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 06:24 PM   #264
Supmua

FOV measurement compared to other headsets.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/...medium=ios_app
Old 06-26-2019, 04:17 PM   #265
Alec Delorean

Oh, that looks like the first LCD panel HMD with decent black levels: https://imgur.com/a/yPEb9Oo

taken from:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/...t_their_index/
Alec Delorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:57 PM   #266
Alec Delorean

color measurements vs. Rift S:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/...asurements_of/
Alec Delorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:52 PM   #267
Supmua

Mine just shipped, got a tracking number today and is on track for Fri delivery. Unfortunately, I'm working full-time this weekend lol, damn.

Seems like color gamut, luminance and black level are superior to the Rift S but still not as good as the Vive/Pro. I'll have to see how well it does in real world use, subjectively. Planning to put mine through various torture testings next week.

Last edited by Supmua; 06-26-2019 at 10:04 PM.
Supmua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:22 PM   #268
itarrow

Mine arrived today, did some quick testing vs my previous set (original Vive).

Readability is much better, SDE is no longer noticeable, FoV doesn’t seem this big jump probably because I was expecting too much, sound is superb, confort is much better.

What I was not expecting is a big improvement in colors, which seems to me quite more vivid vs the OG Vive. And even black seems better that the grey noise I was getting with the OG Vive. Bah.

At PD of 1.3 (in game) DCS seems a new game. Will provide further results if I am able to use it a bit more (here in northern Italy is quite hot now... using a headset is not really a nice experience at the moment...).
itarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:39 PM   #269
Milou

Quote:
Originally Posted by itarrow View Post
Mine arrived today, did some quick testing vs my previous set (original Vive).

Readability is much better, SDE is no longer noticeable, FoV doesn’t seem this big jump probably because I was expecting too much, sound is superb, confort is much better.

What I was not expecting is a big improvement in colors, which seems to me quite more vivid vs the OG Vive. And even black seems better that the grey noise I was getting with the OG Vive. Bah.

At PD of 1.3 (in game) DCS seems a new game. Will provide further results if I am able to use it a bit more (here in northern Italy is quite hot now... using a headset is not really a nice experience at the moment...).
That's great! Stay cool.
Intel i7-7800X @4.8GHz, EVGA X299 Dark, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti, 2x Samsung NVMe 970 Evo 2TB, Gunmetal Caselabs SMA8/A , twin custom watercooled loops (Hardware Labs 480 and 560 radiators, Noctua NF-A12x25 fans, Aquaero 6 XT controller, Bitpower fittings). T/M Warthog Throttle and grip, Virpil WarBRD base and WarBRD grip, Slaw Viper RX.
Milou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:46 PM   #270
Vullcan

Hmm thats strange this box has a companion cube caution label!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190628_112534.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	212836  
Vullcan is offline   Reply With Quote