Current status of the F86 Sabre - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-18-2019, 06:47 PM   #21
Rudel_chw
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiffy View Post
... They can be fixed. I will post some of my SFM edits later. Also g limit and max bank angle can also be edited for ai. ...
Please do share those edits, I´d love to fly the F-86 and MiG-15 with a higher fidelity flight model.
Rudel_chw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:30 AM   #22
Squiffy

Try these to start. It's a little aggressive but you will only see slight changes in game because of the uber space dynamics of the MiG's energy and climb. In the .lua find and change to:

Mach_max = 0.92, -- Max speed in Mach (for AI)
Ny_min = -1, -- Min G (for AI)
Ny_max = 5.0, -- Max G (for AI)
Ny_max_e = 5.0, -- ?? Max G (for AI)

AOA_take_off = 0.17, -- AoA in take off radians (for AI)
bank_angle_max = 80, -- Max bank angle (for AI)
g_suit = 0.02,

And the most important... especially the lower speed/mach number entries for Ai's energy fighting style. see screenie.

Make changes to items in the yellow box. This is low speed pitch and roll effectiveness which I wanted to reduce. I made my edits below Mach 0.5 which should be about 300 knots or less. the Ai likes to Sputnik around stall so this will make them regret it a bit more.

Try this and also edit your M2 shells in the weapons/ shell.lua to have somewhere between 875 to 899 m/s for better ballistics and longer range.

Cheers! "No guts, no glory!"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mig-15 Aero edits.png
Views:	90
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	212258  

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.
Squiffy, a. slang. 1. Intoxicated; drunk. 2. Askew, skew-whiff. - OED

"Put that sucker in a 4G turn and keep it there!!" - Maj. Gen. "Boots" Blesse

Last edited by Squiffy; 06-21-2019 at 06:26 PM.
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:12 PM   #23
Squiffy

Also check orange boxes for pitch agility and drag brakes. I think I edited these too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mig-15 Aero edits 2.png
Views:	76
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	212307  

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:40 PM   #24
Rudel_chw
Veteran

Thanks for sharing, I will give it a try when I have enough time to test them properly.
Rudel_chw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:23 PM   #25
Squiffy

Sure! Actually, the g limit may be the easiest way to adjust the dogfight challenge any further than the "average" setting in game. I adjusted the low speed stuff because of the AI energy fighting style. It may be even more accurate and supportable to edit the higher speed stuff because that's where the Sabre excelled. The fat wing on the MiG is really something when you see it up close in real life. Also the wing fences. Those things added drag too so it was not an elegant solution. It's like looking at a Hurricane wing versus a Spitfire. Trying to push that through the air becomes a problem at high speed.

Old 06-21-2019, 02:59 AM   #26
Squiffy

Oops, I goofed. I copied from the stock file, pasted over by the Stalinist update process Here's the one you want.

And also note the blue boxes with the equation down below. This table says the the MiG-15 has a coefficient of lift of 1.1 at Mach = 0.0, apparently, when cymax < Cy. I bet we can tweak cymax to be = cya or 0.067 at Mach 0.0. This may kill the Sputnik effect.

I am also looking into modelling the imploding fuel tanks issue from under pressure after half emptied.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MiG-15 SFM tweaks.png
Views:	66
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	212394  

Last edited by Squiffy; 06-21-2019 at 06:26 PM.