Phoenix changes? - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-15-2019, 05:58 PM   #21
r4y30n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman1330 View Post
AIM 54 in SARH / STT mode is a beast though, works very well but basically acts as a super sparrow, you have to maintain STT lock. TWS so far is ineffective.
Yup, set up a head on 1v1 against a MiG-29 and I've nailed him every time, up to 50 or 60 nm if I recall. And that was on the old lofting behavior. Came straight down on him and he didn't even try to evade...
r4y30n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:16 AM   #22
JamesRothwell

When the F14 was first available I found the TWS mode to be very good, could take out four tightly packed mig15 from 50 miles easily. Since the recent updates I can't even get a tws lock on a lone mig21 at 40 miles.
JamesRothwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:13 AM   #23
Hummel

Check the AWG-9 mode. Maybe he is in RWS. Jester likes him
Old 06-17-2019, 10:30 PM   #24
captain_dalan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey11 View Post
Having played around with the changes, I'm a bit less happy with their performance... Backfires aren't that evasive but launched on two at 40nmi and missed with both... still smoking MiG28s at that range. Pretty much guaranteed to never hit anything with a half decent RWR unless inside 20 nmi and the missile is still under power when it finds the target.

Jester is still struggling in the back seat with keeping TWS tracks though... pretty annoying on long range intercepts to loose targets that ate definitely burning towards you at a constant altitude to have the radar lose the track and thus Phoenix guidance. Jester is still horrible at finding targets between 30nmi and when pilot override modes become usable at about 18nmi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealius View Post
I've just started getting into the AIM54 myself and can't hit squat either. I've got three F-4E 'drones' orbiting around, with ROE set to "No reaction", and yet they still react and managed to kinematically defeat an AIM54 even when launched at 16nm, high aspect; flanking, so not ideally head on, but still.

The other 50% of the time Jester loses lock because the enemy pilot sneezed. The only way I can kill anything is with 'winders or guns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRothwell View Post
When the F14 was first available I found the TWS mode to be very good, could take out four tightly packed mig15 from 50 miles easily. Since the recent updates I can't even get a tws lock on a lone mig21 at 40 miles.
Um, guys? We are all flying open beta VS AI right? I tried BVR engagements in the F-14B this Saturday for the first time. I don't count that instant action VS the MiG-23's at launch.

Anyways, i avoided BVR as Heatblur themselves mentioned the RIO and the AWG9 are still WIP, but this weekend my hand finally decided to take commands from the central neural system again and decided to try and regain some of that lost muscle memory. I tried with some ACM at first, then some touch and goes, cold starts and landings. Then before i decided to punish myself and try AAR, i figured i should finally try and lob some buffaloes in anger.

My setup was 1 VS 1, angels 25, distance of 80 nautical miles, intercept course by both AC. The red side was an F-15C armed with 4 AMRAAM C's and 4 Winders, AI set to excellent. I did 6 engagements myself and let the AI do another 6. I used both Mk60 54A's and Mk47 54C's. My launches were at 60+, 50, 40, 30 and 25 miles. The AI fired all its missiles at around 30. The AI scored 5 out of 6 kills. The Eagle evaded the launch via notching and counter measures, then proceeded to counter launch a 120C and score a victory. My own launches were also 5 out of 6 successes. The one launch that failed, was a 54C Mk47 from 40 nautical miles, performed from a relatively low energy state (around 300 KIAS at the time). The Eagle notched, then spoofed the Buffalo. Jester managed to reacquire the bandit however and i proceeded with another launch from around 25 nautical miles. This one homed true.

So my observations are that the AIM-54's are excellent against the AI's. The Eagle actively engaged me and was proactive in its evasive maneuvers, but still got absolutely fried every time. I have no idea how these missiles performed before the update, but they are quite dangerous right now. Unfortunately, i can't say if the Eagle was jamming or not.

If i have any negative issues with this iteration with the AWG9-AIM-54 weapon system right now, it's that the RIO switches to a RWS every time i request a change in the radar range display. I don't know of this is a bug or a feature, but it means you have be aware of it, and be careful not to request the change in critical moments. Maybe Heatblur can say more on the topic.

Hope this helps guys. Cheers and safe flying!
captain_dalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:20 PM   #25
turkeydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey11 View Post
Except that in real life the Phoenix would never go active on a TWS launch if you turned away before the AWG-9 told them to go active and you didn't launch them hot off the rails (which I don't think could be done in TWS mode).

I'll definitely be interested in testing the new PN model. The sudden 60 degree turn from loft to target was really irritating... Now if only Jester could maintain TWS locks on targets
Yeah I know.

https://www.csg-1.com/
DCS F-14 Pilot/RIO Discord:
https://discord.gg/6bbthxk
turkeydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:31 AM   #26
Nealius
Veteran

Previously I was trying Charlie Phoenixes in STT and not hitting anything. Then I tried Alpha Mk60 Phoenixes in TWS mode and nail (nearly) everything I shoot at.

ASUS Z170 | i5-7600 | RTX2070 | 32GB DDR4 | Windows 10
Nealius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:46 AM   #27
JamesRothwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummel View Post
Check the AWG-9 mode. Maybe he is in RWS. Jester likes him
Yes I noticed that now I can ask Jester to switch between RWS and TWS in the Jester command wheel. But I select TWS and the 'v' on the TID repeater narrows so I can see it's in TWS and still I have trouble picking off targets.

Like others have said BVR is still WIP etc so it'll change for better or worse as times goes on to presumably get more realistic.
JamesRothwell is offline   Reply With Quote