Svsmokey

Thanks again-even if it is not what i want to hear

"Hold my beer"
Svsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:36 PM   #12
epolta

The Windows 10 Re-activation Trick
It’s pretty simple:

If necessary, change your Win 10 account to a Microsoft Account instead of a Local Account
Upgrade, and tell Win 10 to re-activate
Change your Win 10 account back to a Local Account if you want
DONE!

Let’s break each step down with some extra details…

Step 1: Change your Windows 10 account to a Microsoft Account
UPDATE: Maybe not… Read this instead: VICTORY! Reactivate Windows 10 after a hardware upgrade

This just means that instead of logging in to Win 10 with a local account and password, you’ll be logging in to Windows using your online Microsoft account. That means you’ll need to either use your Microsoft online password to sign in to Windows (temporarily), or you can set up a 4-digit PIN code as the password.

The key here is that when you link your copy of Windows 10 to your online Microsoft account, they store your “activation key” so to speak. After your hardware upgrade, and because your copy of Windows 10 is linked to your online Microsoft account, you will be able to re-activate without reinstalling everything.

To switch to a Microsoft Account, just do the following:

Click Start (windows logo) and then click Settings. Click the Update & security item. On the next screen, click Activation in the left-hand column:

26 February 2017
You’ve upgraded to Windows 10. All is well.

But then one day, you decide to upgrade your motherboard, processor, and RAM…

With Windows 7, you didn’t have anything to worry about. Most likely, Windows would reactivate after your upgrade, and if it didn’t, an automated phone call to Microsoft was all it took to get back up and running.

But then came Windows 10: You now have a digital entitlement, which then changed to a digital license, which means… ??? Furthermore, until recently your ONLY option was to reinstall everything.

So how the heck do you reactivate Windows 10 after a major hardware upgrade?

The Basics
First of all, before you upgrade your puter, you should probably read my post from 2010 entitled Upgrade Your Motherboard Without Reinstalling your OS.

The simple trick in the above post still applies. In some cases, if you are also going to upgrade your graphics card, it’s a good idea to change the Display Adapter driver to the “Standard VGA” one, just in case.

Otherwise, it’s a piece of cake.

It’s pretty simple:

If necessary, change your Win 10 account to a Microsoft Account instead of a Local Account
DONE!

UPDATE: Maybe not… Read this instead: VICTORY! Reactivate Windows 10 after a hardware upgrade

This just means that instead of logging in to Win 10 with a local account and password, you’ll be logging in to Windows using your online Microsoft account. That means you’ll need to either use your Microsoft online password to sign in to Windows (temporarily), or you can set up a 4-digit PIN code as the password.

The key here is that when you link your copy of Windows 10 to your online Microsoft account, they store your “activation key” so to speak. After your hardware upgrade, and because your copy of Windows 10 is linked to your online Microsoft account, you will be able to re-activate without reinstalling everything.

Click Start (windows logo) and then click Settings. Click the Update & security item. On the next screen, click Activation in the left-hand column:

Then, you just click the Add an account link, and sign in to your online Microsoft Account:

26 February 2017

With Windows 7, you didn’t have anything to worry about. Most likely, Windows would reactivate after your upgrade, and if it didn’t, an automated phone call to Microsoft was all it took to get back up and running.

But then came Windows 10: You now have a digital entitlement, which then changed to a digital license, which means… ??? Furthermore, until recently your ONLY option was to reinstall everything.

The Basics
First of all, before you upgrade your puter, you should probably read my post from 2010 entitled Upgrade Your Motherboard Without Reinstalling your OS.

The simple trick in the above post still applies. In some cases, if you are also going to upgrade your graphics card, it’s a good idea to change the Display Adapter driver to the “Standard VGA” one, just in case.

It’s pretty simple:

DONE!

Then, you just click the Add an account link, and sign in to your online Microsoft Account:

You’ll need to enter your Local Account password. From this point on, you’ll need to sign in to Windows itself using your Microsoft account password. You can change this later after your upgrade and re-activation is complete.

https://scottiestech.info/2017/02/26...ng-windows-10/
epolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 04:18 PM   #13
Svsmokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by epolta View Post
It’s pretty simple:

DONE!

26 February 2017

The Basics

It’s pretty simple:

DONE!

26 February 2017

The Basics

It’s pretty simple:

DONE!

You’ll need to enter your Local Account password. From this point on, you’ll need to sign in to Windows itself using your Microsoft account password. You can change this later after your upgrade and re-activation is complete.

https://scottiestech.info/2017/02/26...ng-windows-10/
Thanks , guess i'll go ahead with a motherboard/cpu/cooler (and later , memory) change then .

"Hold my beer"
Old 06-17-2019, 03:22 AM   #14
Headwarp

This depends on whether your license for Windows 10 is OEM or Retail. OEM is linked to one computer. Retail, you can take with you to your new build but can only be activated on one PC at a time..i.e. if you activate it on a new build it will be deactivated for your old build. There are probably security measures in place to keep you from just activating it every time you sit down between two different computers.. so best to buy another license if you need to run two machines.

You can run command prompt and type "slmgr -dli" and press enter.. a window will pop up in windows stating either Retail or OEM.

Just to share personal experience - I upgraded my copy of win7 pro to win10 pro when the free upgrade was offered. My license for win10 is retail, I had no issue activating windows 10 when I upgraded from my i5 2500k to my 8700K beyond having to remember my microsoft account details.

I doubt you'll even have to download any new drivers or reinstall windows if all you're swapping out is your cpu and everything's up to date already. might have to "activate' again but if its a retail copy there should be no issue with that. I think it unlikely, as only one component of your build is changing. If all else fails, call microsoft and see if the customer service rep can see you just made a simple component change. Barring that, let the dent in your wallet be a lesson to you about ensuring the license key you buy for Win10 is retail.

If you do go with a new mobo yeah just plan on reinstalling windows lol.. i'd also download bare minimum sata/chipset/network drivers to a usb thumb drive or SSD/harddrive that isn't what you plan on using for your OS install, so you have no issues getting on the internet and downloading the rest.
Win 10 pro 64bit i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz (all cores) - EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3200 16CAS, 970 Evo 250Gb boot drive, pny 480gb sata 3 SSDx2, 4TB HDD - Acer Predator x34 (3440x1440@100hz), Samsung Odyssey WMR, - Peripherals = msffb2 for heli/prop planes, warthog (for jets), -Warthog throttle, Logitech G13, MFG Crosswinds

Last edited by Headwarp; 06-17-2019 at 03:45 AM.
Headwarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:12 AM   #15
Svsmokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headwarp View Post
This depends on whether your license for Windows 10 is OEM or Retail. OEM is linked to one computer. Retail, you can take with you to your new build but can only be activated on one PC at a time..i.e. if you activate it on a new build it will be deactivated for your old build. There are probably security measures in place to keep you from just activating it every time you sit down between two different computers.. so best to buy another license if you need to run two machines.

You can run command prompt and type "slmgr -dli" and press enter.. a window will pop up in windows stating either Retail or OEM.

Just to share personal experience - I upgraded my copy of win7 pro to win10 pro when the free upgrade was offered. My license for win10 is retail, I had no issue activating windows 10 when I upgraded from my i5 2500k to my 8700K beyond having to remember my microsoft account details.

I doubt you'll even have to download any new drivers or reinstall windows if all you're swapping out is your cpu and everything's up to date already. might have to "activate' again but if its a retail copy there should be no issue with that. I think it unlikely, as only one component of your build is changing. If all else fails, call microsoft and see if the customer service rep can see you just made a simple component change. Barring that, let the dent in your wallet be a lesson to you about ensuring the license key you buy for Win10 is retail.

If you do go with a new mobo yeah just plan on reinstalling windows lol.. i'd also download bare minimum sata/chipset/network drivers to a usb thumb drive or SSD/harddrive that isn't what you plan on using for your OS install, so you have no issues getting on the internet and downloading the rest.
Thanks !

"Hold my beer"
Old 06-17-2019, 02:56 PM   #16
BitMaster
Veteran

This differs from Nation to Nation.

Under german law, OEM = Reatil. We can use any one for any Computer.

I bought an 10 for 3,63€ two weeks ago on eBay and a 2019 Office Pro Plus for 16,67€ without ANY problem on activation.

No need to buy them for hundreds of dollars.
Asus Strix Z370-E - Intel i7-8700K@5.2G_delidded - 32GB 3000/3600MHz - Asus 1080GTX-Ti Poseidon 2050/12006- 1x 960Evo 250GB - 2x 850Pro 256GB Raid-0 - 1 x 840 Evo 250GB PageFile - 2x Seagate 2TB - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@4x180mm fans - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" WQHD Gsync 144Hz - Oculus Rift VR - Win10Pro64 - Slave to the Machine
BitMaster is offline   Reply With Quote