Hints and Tips for the F-5E BFM Campaign

For example NAV Point FYTTR is located 33 nautical miles from the LSV TACAN station on a 267 radial (LSV 267/33).

I know how use TACAN, but I don't understand the indications given by radio ... can you explain how that works ?

I'd like to navigate NTTR without the kneeboard :)

And I understand those indications are standard in the USAF, and I'll find them in other mission/campaign

Edit: Ok, I got it ...

Its [Heading] to set from the actual NavPoint for reaching the next NapPoint

[TacanId] [bearing] for [Distance]

And then the channel for that TACAN

But still don't get how to use 3 digit channel on the F-5

Once we pass GARTH then we switch the TACAN to TPH (119X) and set the course knob to 108 and fly to BELTED PEAK. Once there then we set the course knob to 92 for INDIA.

How do we do that in the F-5E ? I only see 2 digits on my tacan

Edited by cercata

Do you refer to the Morse Code signal of the airfield?

No, I mean spoken directives given by radio, I don't know which one is the redial, which one the distance, and from what tacan station are they refered to.

I guess it's some kind of notation like when the awacs tells you BRA ...

You have it correct in your earlier post. For a waypoint listed as LSV 267/33 or LSV 267 for 33.

LSV - Tacan Station Id

267 - The radial from the Station

33 - The distance from the station

Since LSV is 12X we set the TACAN for 12X then set the HSI to 267 and fly to the point that is indicated as being 33nm from the TACAN station.

For TACAN stations like TPH where their setting is 119X use the first dial to change from 1 to 11 and set the second dial to 9. See diagram below.

attachment.php?attachmentid=206679&stc=1&d=1552863611

Then set your HSI to the appropriate radial and fly to the distance indicated to get to the waypoint.

As indicated in some guides you may have to increase altitude to get a TACAN signal as it can be blocked at lower altitudes.

1418896766_F-5ETACANPANEL.jpg.831f167455ce214a70a645318f6e0403.jpg

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

For TACAN stations like TPH where their setting is 119X use the first dial to change from 1 to 11 and set the second dial to 9. See diagram below.

Shit, how didn't I try that, one right click beyond 9 :lol:

Thanks very much, it's gonna be hard at the beginning, doing it fast, but it will make the transit fun :)

• 2 months later...

Is this campaign dead? Seems that in recent patches everything you encounter is basically UFOs, I'm having F-4s outturning me in long drawn out turn fights where F-5 is supposed to be at upper hand.

• 3 months later...
"We also provided it in the PDF document package available in the docs folder."

Where is this folder?

DCS world\mods\MODULE_TYPE\MODULENAME\DOC

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

• 1 year later...

A liitle late (just bought the campaign) and a little OT but...

"To make this easier we added the NAV Point information to the F10 Menu (F2)"

How do you do that? I can't find how in the ME and would appreciate advice on this really useful item for my own little missions..

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

You need to use the RADIO ITEM ADD and SWITCHED CONDITION triggers.

To add a radio item select a trigger that is appropriate for when the message should be added (likely at the start) and use RADIO ITEM ADD, name it, provide a FLAG like 100 and a value of 1.

Then in the SWITCHED CONDITION for CONDITIONS use FLAG IS TRUE (100) and then under ACTIONS do a MESSAGE TO ALL and include your NAV Point details. Also include a FLAG OFF (100) to turn flag 100 off.

Then anytime a player using the F10 Radio selects your radio item flag 100 will be set and the SWITCHED CONDITION trigger will fire and display your message.

Since you turn flag 100 off after it's triggered it's ready to go again the next time the player selects the radio message.

• 1 year later...

Just got these, and having a bit of a frustrating time....flew the first mission, but sometime after  the 4th ( I think) navpoint on the tour, nothing happened, was flying and flying, with my guide on my wing....presume I missed overflying some point etc, but how do you know and how can you get yourself back on track?

After an hour on this mission, I tried a few of the practice ones, to avoid wasting too much time.....Had several attempts, but each time, the first I know of the enemy is a missile or guns up my pipe....impossible to see on the merge, I get the AWACS message " merged", but see nothing.....then very tricky trying to find the bandit. 

is there a way to turn on smoke or something as its no practice if I cant find the bandit........

Finally, any way to make the pertinent radio meassages stay on screen longer?

Edited by markturner1960

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Sorry you are having issues with the missions.

The first mission is a formation flight around the NTTR so flying to the waypoints is the way to accomplish the mission but the F-5E is an older bird so it's navigation aids are limited.  You can use the TACAN to get fixes to each NAV point or fly by Dead Reckoning.

The included pdf documents will help a lot with the navigation as well as the in-game kneeboard (you can also view the map within the kneeboard while flying to ensure you stay on the flight plan).

For spotting the bandits they will typically be on your nose and the controller will give some guidance on where they are from a compass heading perspective but if you are not using VR or your screen is small you can turn labels on in the game settings and this will provide some additional information on where the bandits are located.

Once merged there is a padlock feature in the controls that can be used to padlock the bandit so you can see where they are in relation to your own aircraft.    This can help with maneuvering but it does take practice to get good at BFM.

The ACM campaign is particularly challenging as the bandits will have missiles (compared to the guns only BFM campaign) so they will be more challenging to engage but you have the addition of a wingman who can cover your six or you can order him to engage (and you cover him).

Both campaigns only determine if you kill the bandits not necessarily how so if you can get them to break the hard deck or crash that's also considered a win.

For the radio messages ED has recently introduced a message history capability to review old messages. 

You can see more about it here:

If you continue to have issues please post a trk file and we can do some analysis and report.

Thanks for your interest in our campaigns.

• 9 months later...

Kneeboard pics are in the kneeboard in game (k key) and all the reference docs are available under this path:

<your drive letter>:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\campaigns\F-5E BFM\Doc

or

<your drive letter>:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\campaigns\F-5E BFM\Doc