TF-51 FM questions

VC

I normally get my WW2 kicks in IL2 BoS but I wanted to try out a warbird in DCS just to get an idea of the feel, see if it's something I might eventually want to get into. So I did some test flights in the free TF-51D (sorry if I'm posting in the wrong sub-forum).

Now, I don't want to start an FM war, it's likely my experctations are misplaced. I just want some clarification regarding my first impressions of the plane.

The main weirdness from my point of view was a lack of feeling of weight or innertia. The take-off run was so short I was soaring vertically off the runway like a helicopter before I even had time to push the stick forward to lift the tailwheel. Acceleration feels instantaneous. In the air it feels very nice to fly, but floats and bobs and responds instantly like a light aircraft. I know this is a "training" version so it's a bit light, but should an 8,000lb+ plane really feel this toy-like?

VC

=X51= Squadron is recruiting!

X51 website: https://x51squadron.com/

Join our Discord: https://discord.gg/d9JtFY4

It is a plane with a military piston engine and direct control over all surfaces.

The acceleration is instant with the proper engine and prop settings, and the response of the surface controls is almost aerobatic like.

The P51D has the same performance if you don't use ordenance and only fill the wing fuel tanks.

I never flew a real mustang, but I find that the FM on DCS is as I would expect from a warbird.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
I normally get my WW2 kicks in IL2 BoS but I wanted to try out a warbird in DCS just to get an idea of the feel, see if it's something I might eventually want to get into. So I did some test flights in the free TF-51D (sorry if I'm posting in the wrong sub-forum).

Now, I don't want to start an FM war, it's likely my experctations are misplaced. I just want some clarification regarding my first impressions of the plane.

The main weirdness from my point of view was a lack of feeling of weight or innertia. The take-off run was so short I was soaring vertically off the runway like a helicopter before I even had time to push the stick forward to lift the tailwheel. Acceleration feels instantaneous. In the air it feels very nice to fly, but floats and bobs and responds instantly like a light aircraft. I know this is a "training" version so it's a bit light, but should an 8,000lb+ plane really feel this toy-like?

TF-51 has reduced mass (no armour, no WWII radio, no guns and ammo) thus 61/3000 never used in RL. At 55/3000 miss Velma starts like a rocket.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

TF-51 has reduced mass (no armour, no WWII radio, no guns and ammo) thus 61/3000 never used in RL. At 55/3000 miss Velma starts like a rocket.

no fuselage tank

you can easly make 3 point take off in p-51

i use 61 for t/o in dcs goes like a rocket :P 45" till tail lift after this full power

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Thank you gentlemen, I shall have to realign my assumptions. As I said, it's very enjoyable to fly but if it's really meant to be this powerful and lively, bonus! I wasn't so much questioning the FM as trying to understand it.

I didn't realise how big a weight change was involved, and I really should have been paying more attention to the MP gauge. 61"!!! Wow, yeah I can see why now. And I wasn't following procedure, just full throttle from standing start so that explains why it felt like a helicopter.

VC

Just a side note: If you want to feel a plane with weight, the Anton is it.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Good point, the auto rudder was off but I missed the assist slider. I've set it to 0 now and will try again at some point when I have time. What exactly does the take-off assist do for you?

Anton is extremely tempting, but I'm still not sure if I want to get into DCS WWII. Too many modules I want, and with map and asset pack there's a pretty big price wall to entry.

VC

Good point, the auto rudder was off but I missed the assist slider. I've set it to 0 now and will try again at some point when I have time. What exactly does the take-off assist do for you?

Anton is extremely tempting, but I'm still not sure if I want to get into DCS WWII. Too many modules I want, and with map and asset pack there's a pretty big price wall to entry.

Quality costs money For all the warbirds I bought, even the Anton, I think it's worth it.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maybe :)

Anyway back on topic, I tried again with all assists off. Batumi Hot Start instant action mission. No flaps, I took off from the parking spot and cleared the helicopters parked directly in front of me no problem. That's what, an under 200 foot take-off run? This isn't a carrier aircraft! But if the plane is that powerful then I'm cool with that!

Edited by VC

VC

The Mustang is a powerful plane. I have landed the Mustang on the Stennis and taken off many times before, though with 10 deg of flap. However, don't firewall the throttle for takeoff. That's a big no. 45 or 50 inches of manifold is plenty. Plane should take off at about 120MPH. Nothing has been reported unusual for the FM for a long time, so even if it doesn't feel right, it's right (or as close as possible for a sim)

I didn't realise how big a weight change was involved
Yes, that's a mistreated question in many other sims out there. But changes in weight make a huge difference IRL, like flying absolutely different aeroplanes, and TF-51 is a real lightweight compared to the full P-51. Anyway pay attention to her, if you think she's easy to handle due to the apparent lightness you can get in troubles in a blink, specially taking off and landing.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

However, I haven't touched the TF-51 in ages, only the P-51. So, that's wherenmy experience is coming from.

Yup, I'm satisfied it's realistic, I feel like I learned something.

And no doubt the Mustang is a powerful plane, but in the context of late WWII warbirds it's not especially known for power to weight ratio. At least not compared to some planes that were almost defined by it, like the Bf 109. I guess the K-4 is even more of a rocket then?

VC

And no doubt the Mustang is a powerful plane, but in the context of late WWII warbirds it's not especially known for power to weight ratio. At least not compared to some planes that were almost defined by it, like the Bf 109. I guess the K-4 is even more of a rocket then?
Yes, but TF-51 depicted is just like the 60's leisure high performance general aviation aeroplane made by Cavalier, it was thought as a wealthy executives ride IIRC. Really different from the fully fledged P-51. FM is basically the same, just those weight changes are reflected and makes a huge difference so the basic aircraft feels like a completely different one.

K4 is a lightweight compared to regular P-51, power to weight ratio is definitely higher, and makes sense it's faster, a better climber, etc. But also K4 is fully fledged either, so guns, ammunition, armour, self-sealing tanks, and what not. All of that is a heavy equipment and together with small wings means high wing load like the P-51, so it's a thoroughbred with regards to performances but the feeling of lightness in the handling is not that much as the TF-51.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice