Mods and Liveries

joojoo

Hello, joojoo. :)

Welcome here to the modding section of the forums! To get off into how to correctly install mods and liveries, you first want to check on the forum posts on the method they provide you with. An example here is the A-4E-C, a community made mod by the community.

You are given instructions on the installation for that here. I would also like to give you a link to look at, called JSGME. It is a way of controlling mods in your DCS.

I wish you the best of luck on getting your mods!

Hi & welcome

There are various ways to install mods and skins depending on your preferences

JSGME/OVGME are programs that replace the original in game file with your modified files and save the originals to another directory.

When you want to disable a mod, you uncheck it and JSGME/OVGME replaces the originals back into the game. This is important as DCS updates just about every week and will overwrite all your mods** if you leave them in the game directory. So nearly everybody I know of disables all the mods, does the update, then re-enables.

** Unless they are in Saved Games (see below)

I much prefer OVGME to JSGME, but you can take a look at both, there is a sticky for JSGME near the top and the OVGME details can be found here

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=171956

Next is liveries or skins, you can keep them in JSGME/OVGME or you can use the Saved Game folder under "users/your_name/Saved Games/Open Beta (if you are running the open beta version, it will be something else if running the stable version.)

In there you will find a Liveries directory, click on it then your aircraft (you may have to make a directory for the aircraft if it's not in there). The Saved Games directories are not overwritten during updates so can be used to store liveries (and mods for that matter if you want to go that way).

Remember with liveries if they have a country specified in the description.lua with the skin, they will only show if you use that country in the mission editor (personally I don't like this, but some find it useful). You can edit out or delete countries in the description.lua and then they will show up no matter the country.

To edit luas use Notepad++ or some other editor don't use Windows Notepad or it stands a chance of screwing up the lua by placing extraneous characters

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

You're going to love it, modes and skins are so much fun and add a lot to the game

Edited by Weegie