Parking Brake

MBot

In the real aircraft you have to push the toebrakes and hold them, while engaging the park brake lever.

Can’t remember if it works like this in the sim, or if it is modelled.

I haven’t flown DCS in a couple of months, so my memory fails me...

It's like the parking brake in a car. It does not have much braking power and you cannot use it to stop your aircraft; but it prevents it from rolling inadvertently. I tried (1.5.7) and it does exactly what it's supposed to do. It is not really necessary to use it unless your Viggen is parked on a slope.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

It's like the parking brake in a car. It does not have much braking power and you cannot use it to stop your aircraft; but it prevents it from rolling inadvertently. I tried (1.5.7) and it does exactly what it's supposed to do. It is not really necessary to use it unless your Viggen is parked on a slope.

The parking brake in the viggen has just as much braking Power as the normal brake, because it is the normal brake. You might have notices that you have to press the brake on a Cold start Before you can start Rolling?

The parking brake in the viggen has just as much braking Power as the normal brake, because it is the normal brake. You might have notices that you have to press the brake on a Cold start Before you can start Rolling?

I tested your statement: In a hot start mission I engaged the parking brake and then gently increased thrust. At some point the aircraft started rolling (with the parking bake still engaged). I stepped on the brake pedals and that stopped the aircraft. So the parking brake effectively does not have the same power as the "normalbrake". It may in fact be the same brake, but in that case it does not apply the full force.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I tested your statement: In a hot start mission I engaged the parking brake and then gently increased thrust. At some point the aircraft started rolling (with the parking bake still engaged). I stepped on the brake pedals and that stopped the aircraft. So the parking brake effectively does not have the same power as the "normalbrake". It may in fact be the same brake, but in that case it does not apply the full force.

Are you sure this is not a placebo effect? I need exactly the same amount of thrust to move the aircraft with or without parking brake applied. Ergo the parking brake does not brake at all.

As addde mentioned, a parking brake is the same as the regular brake. It is simply a mechanism that prevents the release of the regular brake, so it should have the same braking power.

By the way, the parking brake which is set on per default during a cold start works, so the function is there. You just can't it turn on yourself.

Hot start is not the same as cold start, in a cold start mission the parking brake is set and you cant move without releasing it (or going zone 3 AB)

• 10 months later...

This issue is still present, the parking brake can be set but does not actually engage in any braking.

Also at cold-start where the parking brake is set per default, the lever in the cockpit is not visually pulled.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I see this thread hasn't been seen yet by the dev/tester team.

I confirm that the parking brake is only a cosmetic artefact in version 2.5.3.24436.

Moreover, the plane is always shaking strangely, even on idle, this is really annoying. I'm not entirely sure it's linked to the brakes as it also happens when the brakes (or parking brakes) are not applied.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

Moreover, the plane is always shaking strangely, even on idle, this is really annoying. I'm not entirely sure it's linked to the brakes as it also happens when the brakes (or parking brakes) are not applied.

Are your canopy closed? How cold is it outside? Do you hear teeth rattling? Uneven breathing?

The poor guy is freezing!

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Are your canopy closed? How cold is it outside? Do you hear teeth rattling? Uneven breathing?

The poor guy is freezing!

Damn, you're right, that was it! :D

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

I hate to contradict you though, my cockpit was closed and I had my fancy scarf around the neck...

Strange, he always stop freezing when closing the canopy for me. Maybe the shaking you experience isn't related.

(just to make sure, no offense, but you do know there is actually a "freezing pilot" effect, right?)

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Strange, he always stop freezing when closing the canopy for me. Maybe the shaking you experience isn't related.

(just to make sure, no offense, but you do know there is actually a "freezing pilot" effect, right?)

:O

I did not! That seems like a neat detail, thanks for telling me!

However, it's not the case here. I found out I had those shaking problems with some of the missions when they start on the ground with the engine already powered, like for example, the take-off training mission.

Moving the Viggen a little bit farther calms the shaking down, so it must be an initial placement problem.

Tested the take-off procedure training mission, no shaking for me. On latest OB. Guess it would be a good idea for you to post a new thread about it, we are going quite off-topic here.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

:O

Moving the Viggen a little bit farther calms the shaking down, so it must be an initial placement problem.

Pretty common for me too - once I disengage the breaks and throttle for taxi I shake a little in place - if I boost up throttle I unstick and move forward, shaking stops. If I just leave throttle be the shake continues and after about 20 seconds I start moving forward and the shaking stops. Pretty sure its just a map placement conflict.

---

AJS37 Viggen, F-16C Viper, Adobe Premier.

X56 HOTAS, Ryzen 7, GTX 2070S

youtube.com/leadnapgaming

However, it's not the case here. I found out I had those shaking problems with some of the missions when they start on the ground with the engine already powered, like for example, the take-off training mission. Moving the Viggen a little bit farther calms the shaking down, so it must be an initial placement problem.

You mean this effect, which I have very often when entering the cockpit?!

BTW: brakes are off, I do not touch them.

Second problem:

Unfortunately, even if my throttle slider is in the idle position, a little power is set after entering a mission (I posted this long time ago, and I think RagnarDa told me it should be fixed, but it isn't - at least on my machine).

This obviously leads to shaking due to friction coefficient calculations or something similar.

The transition from standing aircraft to rolling aircraft seems difficult for the code. In the MiG-29 this effect doesn't exist, I tested it a few hours ago. Seems a Viggen related issue :noexpression:

Edited by TOViper

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

You mean this effect, which I have very often when entering the cockpit?!

BTW: brakes are off, I do not touch them.

Second problem:

Unfortunately, even if my throttle slider is in the idle position, a little power is set after entering a mission (I posted this long time ago, and I think RagnarDa told me it should be fixed, but it isn't - at least on my machine).

This obviously leads to shaking due to friction coefficient calculations or something similar.

The transition from standing aircraft to rolling aircraft seems difficult for the code. In the MiG-29 this effect doesn't exist, I tested it a few hours ago. Seems a Viggen related issue :noexpression:

Yes, that's the same problem that I have here, and apparently others.

Seems when entering the cockpit "Start from runway", then power is set despite lever is at idle, then the shaking is visible.

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...