Right ening won't start

Vinny002

Usually it is because the right engine pumps are not running. Four toggle switches on the left hand panel.

WC

Visit the Hollo Pointe DCS World server -- an open server with a variety of COOP & H2H missions including Combined Arms. All released missions are available for free download, modification and public hosting, from my Wrecking Crew Projects site.

Hi, guys!

I restarted the computer, loaded up DCS world and now I got both the left/right engines running. I don't know about this, sometimes the right engine start and sometimes it doesn't and I think it's random. I found something that doesn't seem right, the both the left/right engines can be started and the left/right engines continues running even with the left/right wing fuel boost pumps off and the left/right fuselage fuel boost pumps off. Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

Hi, guys!

I found something that doesn't seem right, the both the left/right engines can be started and the left/right engines continues running even with the left/right wing fuel boost pumps off and the left/right fuselage fuel boost pumps off. Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

Maybe some fuel left in the pipes? How long do they keep running for?

Hi, dudester22!

The left/right engines was running for about 20 minutes even with the left/right wing fuel boost pumps off and the left/right fuselage fuel boost pumps off and the left/right engines has never stopped running. Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

Hi, dudester22!

The left/right engines was running for about 20 minutes even with the left/right wing fuel boost pumps off and the left/right fuselage fuel boost pumps off and the left/right engines has never stopped running. Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

I just tried it myself and I can start both engines and run them with all fuel pumps set to off. maybe somehow the engine still gets fuel without the pumps though? Anyone know?

Edit: I just read this about aircraft in general.

Fuel pumps are not required to be on and are mainly used to keep fuel distribution within limits. 99.9% of all aircraft have 2 or 3 fuel pumps per engine. The boost pump in the tank is just there to keep the secondary fuel pump from cavitating. On start the fuel control which consists of 2 pumps that run in series or parallel are set to parallel which increases flow but lowers pressure...... I could go on forever, but your answer in simple terms is that fuel boost pumps are mainly used to maintain proper fuel distribution.

Edited by Dudester22

In my experience you can start the Left Engine without the boost pumps because it will feed off the DC boost pump which is energized by the DC bus which is itself energized once the Inverter is switched on, if I remember the schematics properly. DC Boost pump feeds off the Left fuel system so it can support the Left engine which also feeds off that system.

The right system is however isolated and so the Right Engine needs a boost pump to start it. Alternatively enabling crossfeed would allow you to start the Right Engine with the Left Fuel System.

Again, as I understand it, the boost pumps while not being necessary to sustain fuel flow are necessary to start the engine.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

Also, make sure your left engine has completely cycled up before you start the right.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

I'm sure you've already checked but did you have you inverter and pomps on before starting the engine.

Else you'll have only on engine starting.

Else you may have to dry it off (pomps off, engine on until it stops by lack of fuel) and make it start again.

VEAF - Virtual European Air Force- www.veaf.org

Association européenne de simulation évoluant sur DCS, BMS et ArmA3.

Nous rejoindre : http://www.veaf.org/fr/association/formulaire-de-contact

Hi, guys!

It is very strange. Like I said earlier, sometimes the right engine start or won't start, and it is random. Does anyone experiences this kind of problem? I hate random bugs!! Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

If you post a track of you doing the start-up we might be able to see if you go wrong somewhere. This is not a bug I've ever experienced.

Next time this happens, quit the mission and click on "save track". Then remember where the track file is and attach it to your next post.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Two things:

- Turn on the 4 boost pumps.

- Wait until the left engine is completly up and running (the engine startup warning on the warning panel will disappear) before you start the right engine.

For further help a track file would be really helpful.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

In my experience you can start the Left Engine without the boost pumps because it will feed off the DC boost pump which is energized by the DC bus which is itself energized once the Inverter is switched on, if I remember the schematics properly. DC Boost pump feeds off the Left fuel system so it can support the Left engine which also feeds off that system.

The right system is however isolated and so the Right Engine needs a boost pump to start it. Alternatively enabling crossfeed would allow you to start the Right Engine with the Left Fuel System.

Again, as I understand it, the boost pumps while not being necessary to sustain fuel flow are necessary to start the engine.

IIRC the DC fuel pump is supplying both the left engine and APU with fuel.

So to start engine using left AC fuel pumps is not required because there is a DC one, but there is no right DC pump so using the fuel pump switch is required to start right engine.

IIRC the A-10C has also engine driven fuel pumps so running the engines without fuel pumps should be possible but its not recomended anyway, i'm not even sure that engine will not shut down if you open full throotle.

DCS A-10C is only for enthertaiment??? Not for me.

JDAM manual is classyfied??? Not for me.

Lies sounds like a truth??? Not for me.

Knowlege is for kids??? Nope, its for me.

So to start engine using left AC fuel pumps is not required because there is a DC one, but there is no right DC pump so using the fuel pump switch is required to start right engine.

Yes. Basically you can start the left engine with the same DC pump that is there to start the APU owing to the fact that the APU and that DC pump feed off the Left Fuel System. Since both fuel systems are isolated the Right Engine can't do this automatically.

Warning: Nothing I say is automatically correct, even if I think it is.

If that's the case why am I able to start both engines with all fuel pumps off? Why don't you try it and see for yourself.

• 4 years later...

Right engine fails to start after repair

My right engine caught fire, extinguished the fire. Limped back to base. Landed. Shut down. Had it repaired. Struggled for several minutes to start the right engine again after repair. Even requested ground crew to redo their repair. Nothing seemed to help. Decided to give up, clicked on the mission exit button. Half a second later while I am exiting I notice my fire extinguisher handle is still pulled out...

My right engine caught fire, extinguished the fire. Limped back to base. Landed. Shut down. Had it repaired. Struggled for several minutes to start the right engine again after repair. Even requested ground crew to redo their repair. Nothing seemed to help. Decided to give up, clicked on the mission exit button. Half a second later while I am exiting I notice my fire extinguisher handle is still pulled out...

You mean the right engine emergency fuel shutoff? That handle serves two functions, and yup that’ll make startup difficult:)

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png