Toggle Switch Box Creation

Xgears27

Hello,

I am looking for someone to help me build a toggle switch box for my home cockpit. I will be willing to pay for services. I am using (5) on - off - on switches, (3) on - off switches and (1) on - off - on momentary switch. I am hoping to connect all of them to Pro Micro Audrino board.

It's a very simple to make one - if you have (basic) tools and DIY skill.

An good example, with Arduino "scketch" - no axes support:

Another, using Arduino PRO Micro (ATMEGA32u4, 5V, 16 MHZ) and MMJoy2 firmware, with axes support.

Edited by Sokol1_br

AMStudio on Youtube has some great tuts on doing this. Not hard to do at all.

I was purchasing project boxes before for mine... BUT, after getting a 3D printer, I just create different face plates now with the cutouts/holes I need, print, cover with carbon fiber vinyl wrap and install. Added benefit is that the cutouts are more aligned, cleaner, etc. Perfect.

Hell, I could build that box you want for a really cheap price. Largest cost item is the controller. Normally, those run about $12-15 usd for the controller. Nice thing with these, is that they are plug and play. The PC sees them as a game controller. You can verify in the game controller app. No need for additional programming like the arduino's. I do use them for different boxes too, but that is if I am reading data back from the pc to the box to operate things like led strings or small monitors, etc.

Actually, they have dropped a little in price...

https://www.amazon.com/Reyann-Arcade-Encoder-Joystick-Fighting/dp/B00UUROWWK/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_bs_lp_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YT3K2J95F1W226Z8KCD3

Switches are cheap... Do you want safety covers? LED's? Different types of levers? Buttons are always nice too.

Next is the box. Just depends on how large you want it.

Something else to consider is how to mount it and make it sturdy.

Intel i7 9700k, 64GB DDR4 (Corsair), Gigabyte Z390 Master, RTX 2080 Ti AMP 11gb, 500GB Sabrent Rocket (System), 1TB XPG Gammix S11 Pro M.2 (DCS), Windows 11 64-bit Pro, Samsung 49" 4K CRG9 Monitor (5120x1440), Samsung Odyssey Plus, TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, Various streamdecks, button boxes, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, Corsair K95 Platinum, Iron Claw mouse.

DCS OB, F-14B Tomcat, F-18C Hornet, F-16C Viper, A-10C Warthog, F-5 Tiger II, AV-8B Harrier, P-51D Mustang, FC3, Super Carrier

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, (3) Cougar MFD's, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, (2) Stream Decks, (1) Stream Deck XL, (1) Stream Deck Mini, Misc Button Boxes

Hey,

It really depends what you want to do and what you code yourself. The diagram I've drawn (not my best work). Shows you 2 pos switch and your 3 pos (on-off-on) switch. The ground wires get chained together then led to the ground on the board. Each other side of the switch then get a single wire conbecting them to a digital input. I use the pull_up command to read the input on the switch.

Then you do the coding side. You can achieve a lot with the code. I can have the code written to act as a pulse (one quick button tap) on cycle, constantly held whilst on or one button when flicked on and another when switched off.

I will attach some pics of the wiring side of my projects when I get home to show the setup.

The real question is what do you want to do with the box?744499603ed3c154a515d9586c0fb0d6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

"Jonno"

Flying DCS since Black Shark 1.

I will do it for 2,500 Australian Dollars to shamelessly fund a new computer.

Just PM me you Bank Details and I will arrange transfer.

If you look at the top of this forum thread, there is a good tutorial by TigersharkBAS which provides one option on button boxes.

Thanks for the reply, I already have the box,switches and the board. What I need is the wires layout and how to connect them to the board.

How wire switches depend on what board (Arduino?) and firmware your are using.

Could by through Shift Register circuits or Matrix if firmware support, or just direct in board pins inputs - what maybe became limit by the number of digital inputs pins in the board.

Shift Register require only 5 pins on board and each m/c support 8 buttons, but they can be chained up to the limit of buttons/encoders defined in firmware.

Diode Matrix number of buttons is too defined by firmware and number of available digital pins in board, need divide and combine then in Columns and Rows, e.g. 6x6 = 36 buttons.

And interesting "sketch" (code) for Arduinos is LynX CUB because when using a latching ON-OFF-ON switch the change state of switch only send a briefly signal, don't remaining always on for Windows/Games.

http://lynx.dk/cub-firmware/

Description: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2984894&postcount=156

Edited by Sokol1_br

Wire Colours:

Red = 3.3v (Only needed these for the axis control potentiometer)

White = Analouge Input

Green = Digital Input wired from switch to board.

Black = Ground chained together through entire system then to ground on board.

If you are using heavy duty switches you are better of using connectors that are crimped on. Depends on your switch they might have screw fittings as well or be solder tag microswitches.5d8c6df2f01b04769d06865041e2ff21.jpgdac91018757813681fc6d836121ae79f.jpg463c70b64460d0d2e02ee5abd67d71cd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

"Jonno"

Flying DCS since Black Shark 1.

• 3 weeks later...

If you havent found anyone yet i can give you the wiring diagram and write the arduino code for you this weekend.

Owned Modules: F-18, F-16, F-14, AV-8B, A-10c, Huey, Hip, KA-50, Gazelle, Mig 15, Mig 19, Mig 21, FC3, P-51, BF-109, C-101, L-39, F-5, YAK-52

PC Specs- 8700k at 5.1GHz on Asrock z370 Fata1ity k6, EVGA 1080ti SSC2, 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ, 1TB NVMe m.2 Drive for DCS with a 500gb NVMe M.2 boot drive, Oculus Rift S