Basic Brevity Words and Radio Calls to know

The AMRAAMer

What are some basic Brevity words to know other than:

Tally, no joy, visual, blind, fox, rifle, pickle, splash, shack, Spike, and nails?

In addition, what are some standard radio calls that pilots make? For example, in one of Ralfidude's videos, before takeoff he said "Sukhumi traffic, Dagger 1-1 taking the active runway 30 for northbound departure". This seems very professional and I'm wondering what other standard, pro radio calls are out there

Tally, no joy, visual, blind, fox, rifle, pickle, splash, shack, Spike, and nails?

Multi-Service Brevity Codes

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Nato Brevity

Check out this document for the brevity codes NATO uses.

That call simply means, he is going to take off from the runway 30 and he will be flying north to exit the controlled air space of the Sukhumi. You can use the VAD (visual approach and departure) charts in your kneeboard for making calls like that. These charts are the colorfull ones, not the black and white ground charts.

After a simple search in the google like this "how to talk to air traffic control", you can find documents like these "how to talk to atc".

Nato Brevity

Check out this document for the brevity codes NATO uses.

That call simply means, he is going to take off from the runway 30 and he will be flying north to exit the controlled air space of the Sukhumi. You can use the VAD (visual approach and departure) charts in your kneeboard for making calls like that. These charts are the colorfull ones, not the black and white ground charts.

After a simple search in the google with this "how to talk to air traffic control", you can find documents like these "how to talk to atc".

Other than how to talk to ATC or GCI, are there any other situations where you'd need to use structured radio calls with anyone else?

Other than how to talk to ATC or GCI, are there any other situations where you'd need to use structured radio calls with anyone else?

It helps immensely to use and understand brevity in radio comms while flying in MP, especially when there is a lot of bandits and friendlies around (i.e. there's a lot of people talking about a lot of things).

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Well, yeah there are. Like jtac giving 9 lines or some aircraft on FAC(a) duty giving the same, CASEVAC calls things like that. For the most of them, you can find info about them online with just searching on google.

One thing you gotta remember is that you dont have to use proper brevity words to communicate on radios, i mean if you know the words of course you should use them but the main idea here is to relay maximum amount of relevant information through least amount of distinctly recognizable words. So in most cases where you forget or dont know the proper brevity words just relay the information you have with using simple understandable words.

Edit: For the brevity documents with hundreds of words in it, dont get scared by it, half of them doesnt have any use in dcs, just read it once and you can see the words you will need to know on your first read through. For example if you look at the nato brevity document i posted, brevity words in it have group names on them. Like AIR-AGO, this means air operations-air to ground ops, since you posted this question in the a10c thread i assume you mainly fly the a10, so most of the words you will need while flying the a10 will be inside the AIR-AGO category.

Edited by kylekatarn720

In addition, what are some standard radio calls that pilots make? For example, in one of Ralfidude's videos, before takeoff he said "Sukhumi traffic, Dagger 1-1 taking the active runway 30 for northbound departure". This seems very professional and I'm wondering what other standard, pro radio calls are out there

Some good standard basic Brevity words to learn, that's related to the A10 can be found here on the 2nd page of the Hog Basics: RAF Bentwaters Tactics Guide AMRAAMer.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Tally = Visual to Enemy/Bogey/Target/Landmark

No Joy = No Visual to Enemy/Bogey/Target/Landmark

Visual = Visual to Friendly

Blind = No Visual to Friendly

Fox = Air to Air Missile fired - Fox 1 = SARH Missile - Fox 2 = Heatseeker Missile - Fox 3 = SAR Missile

Rifle = Air to Ground Missile fired

Pickle = Air to Ground Ordnance dropped i.e. GBU-12

Splash = Kill of Enemy Aircraft

Shack = Kill of Enemy Ground Asset

Spike = Air to Air Radar pop up / Mud-Spike for Ground to Air Radar

Nails = Air to Air Radar in Search on RWR

Modules: Well... all of 'em

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero | CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 | GPU: GTX TITAN X (Maxwell) | SSD1: 256GB NVMe SSD System | SSD2: 250GB Games | HDD 4TB WD Red

Tally = Visual to Enemy/Bogey/Target/Landmark

No Joy = No Visual to Enemy/Bogey/Target/Landmark

Visual = Visual to Friendly

Blind = No Visual to Friendly

Fox = Air to Air Missile fired - Fox 1 = SARH Missile - Fox 2 = Heatseeker Missile - Fox 3 = SAR Missile

Rifle = Air to Ground Missile fired

Pickle = Air to Ground Ordnance dropped i.e. GBU-12

Splash = Kill of Enemy Aircraft

Shack = Kill of Enemy Ground Asset

Spike = Air to Air Radar pop up / Mud-Spike for Ground to Air Radar

Nails = Air to Air Radar in Search on RWR

rifle is used for agm-65 only. splash means both HOSTILE aircraft shot down and Weapons impact (A/G)(A/A).

It isn't, actually. It means (from the 2005 Brevity Codes): "[A/S] Friendly air-to-surface missile launch".

You are right about Splash, though.

Maybe i should've been more clear on it. Those meanings i posted are from the nato aap-7. Maybe they were using rifle for any A/S missile launch before i dont know that, but they are not using it like that anymore, its agm-65 maverick only.

Edit: Dated 2007: Brevity

Dated 2009:Brevity

and i have one that is dated april 2015, that says the samething too.

Edit:

Well there is also "Bruiser', which friendly air-surface anti-ship missile launch. Like AGM-119 Penguin. Could also be AGM-65G fired against naval/maritime targets.

BRUISER / Air Launched Anti Ship Missile / AIR-MAR(Air Operations Maritime)

LONG RIFLE (Report launch location in BULLSEYE format and weapons track direction) / Friendly, long range air to surface missile launch (e.g. AGM-130, SLAM-ER) / AIR-AGO(Air operations - Air to Ground)

RIFLE / AGM-65 MAVERICK launch / AIR-AGO(Air operations - Air to Ground)

Quotes from the "NATO STANDARD APP-7 JOINT BREVITY WORDS Edition F Version 1 APRIL 2015"

Edited by kylekatarn720
  • Like 1

“Short list” of brevity codes...at a former job of mine, we had a “10-code” list of about 100+/- terms. In reality, we used about 6 or 7 of them.

Put another way...of the several lists out there, what are the 10 “most important” words you old pros would strongly suggest new players become familiar with?

• Like 1

Weapon Release Words:

Pickle = Bombs (Guided & Unguided)

Dart = Rocket (Not sure)

Rifle = Maverick

Long Rifle = Other Air Ground Missile

Magnum = Anti-Radiation Air Ground Missile

Guns = Guns/Cannons Fired

Fox 1 = Active Radar guided missile (AIM7)

Fox 2 = IR guided missile (AIM9)

Fox 3 = Semi-Active radar guided missile (AIM120)

Ground Attack Words:

In From [direction] = Put in direction when starting attack run

Out [direction] = clearing attack run

Splash = Target hit/destroyed

Defensive [threat] [location] = your under fire/attack and your telling everyone (

Defensive, SA-6, North East Kobuleti)

Abort/Aborting = Stop or stopping attack run

Radar Warnings:

Mud [type] [direction/location] = ground threat on RWR but not locked on you

Spiked = something has locked on to you

Nails [type] [direction/location]= Hostile air radar

Singer = missile launch indication on RWR

SAM [location] = visual detection of SAM launch

Most of the other ones have been stated by others such as tally bandit ect.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

"Jonno"

Flying DCS since Black Shark 1.

I doubt "dirt" is being used like that cause of the ambiguity reasons, since "dirty" is being used in a whole different meaning.
It is. Remember brevity codes are always spoken in context: there is no confusion between "DIRT SA-10 12 o'clock" and "DIRTY LINK". No mention of MUDSPIKE anywhere in the docs.

@JNinness you got some of the RWR calls wrong.

It is. Remember brevity codes are always spoken in context: there is no confusion between "DIRT SA-10 12 o'clock" and "DIRTY LINK". No mention of MUDSPIKE anywhere in the docs.

You have a good point there, yea context could help but i couldnt find "dirt" in any document. Mudspike is not in there either like you said.

Edit: Just checked the doc again to be sure, i cant find any two words that sound close to each other but could be used because of the different context.

Edited by kylekatarn720

No mention of MUDSPIKE anywhere in the docs.

Is it Mud Spike two separate calls mud to designate ground radar and spiked to represent a change of status? Where are you getting your info from? Just curious, as the SIM uses the term. Is it a historic call? Or made up?

"Jonno"

Flying DCS since Black Shark 1.

Is it Mud Spike two separate calls mud to designate ground radar and spiked to represent a change of status? Where are you getting your info from? Just curious, as the SIM uses the term. Is it a historic call? Or made up?

MUD (type w/direction/range if able) / RWR ground threat displayed with no launch indication. / AIR-GEN (Air operations - general)

SPIKED (direction) / RWR indication of a HOSTILE AI radar lock-on (“RED 4, SPIKED, right 2 o’clock”). / AIR-GEN (Air operations - general)

quotes from "NATO STANDARD APP-7 JOINT BREVITY WORDS Edition F Version 1, APRIL 2015

From "Brevity MULTI-SERVICE BREVITY CODES FM 1-02.1 (FM 3-54.10) MCRP 3-25B NTTP 6-02.1 AFTTP(I) 3-2.5 (JUNE 2005)":

DIRT - RWR indication of surface threat in search mode. See MUD.

MUD (type w/direction/ range if able) - RWR ground threat displayed with no launch indication. / RWR indication of surface threat in track mode. See DIRT and SINGER.

SINGER (type/direction) - RWR indication of SAM launch.

NAILS (direction) - RWR indication of AI radar in search.

SPIKE/SPIKED (direction) - RWR indication of an AI threat in track or launch.

Note that in this document DIRT is flagged as "Not a NATO brevity word.". Also, both DIRT and the second definition of MUD are flagged as "a new brevity code, an additional meaning, or a deleted meaning to an existing term.", which seems to imply that prior to this document any AG indication was MUD, and an AG launch SINGER; DIRT was seemingly introduced to separate AG indications from AG tracking, and align it with the NAILS/SPIKE pair.

I believe MUDSPIKE is a common term that took off for some reason and is now "wrongly" used by the community. Keep in mind though that the point of brevity is to convey a meaning in the most efficient way possible, so if MUDSPIKE is understood by everyone then by all means use it. It's not the correct IRL brevity (as per docs), that's all.

Edited by Gliptal