Buddy lase

ramjet77

Does buddy lasing work between the F16 & F18, friend and I tried it a while ago and couldn’t get it to work but very likely we did something wrong. Going to try later again unless it’s currently not working. I’d appreciate any info

It should work. Make sure you're using the same laser code. In my experience it works more reliable if the laser gets turned on after the bomb has been released.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yeah we always leave 1688 but could never get LSS to find each other’s

LSS isn't needed for buddy laser bombing. If you want to use LSS anyways, make sure that you have set both codes (LSS and LSR) to the correct number (1688). I'm not sure if LSS is even working in the Viper though.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yes, buddy lasing works between the F-16 and F-18. I have confirmed it works with the F-18 dropping a GBU-12 and the F-16 designating. I have not yet tried it the other way around. I also have not experimented with LSS yet.

Edit: we have also successfully used code 1688, and also different codes like 1424 (both aircraft have to configure for it though).

Tried last night with F16 designating and F18 using LSS but guess the way we position the two aircraft made it very unreliable as sometimes it would see the laser and most of the time not. LSS in the F16 I think is not implemented yet after all.

Tried last night with F16 designating and F18 using LSS but guess the way we position the two aircraft made it very unreliable as sometimes it would see the laser and most of the time not. LSS in the F16 I think is not implemented yet after all.

Possibly, I don't know about LSS as I said. It's not needed for buddy laser bombing anyways.

Tornado3 small.jpg

LSS is implemented in the F16 and works fine on stable version (might be in WIP though). Haven't tried in latest Open Beta.

Set LSS code and click Uncage on Throttle while having POD on SOI. You'll see SA Cue moving around during the search pattern.

Of course, efficiency depends on position of the aircraft vs Laser Spot position. But if laser spot is on top of a building for example and that you're high enough, you shouldn't have an issue to find it with LSS (if LSS code matches laser code of course).

Great thanks, I have re tried it with a drone setup lasing and it worked great and will try with my buddy in the F18 later. When using LSS do you have to have the target somewhere specific ie inside the HUD so you run in at the target with LSS on? I find a lack of consistency getting a lock and can’t figure out why?

Great thanks, I have re tried it with a drone setup lasing and it worked great and will try with my buddy in the F18 later. When using LSS do you have to have the target somewhere specific ie inside the HUD so you run in at the target with LSS on? I find a lack of consistency getting a lock and can’t figure out why?

It's been a while since I tried it, but I seem to remember that you need to point the pod at the general area you expect to find the laser.

It's been a while since I tried it, but I seem to remember that you need to point the pod at the general area you expect to find the laser.

Even more than that, the pod that is doing the searching has to have the laser in the FOV for it to track and lock on to the Laser. So the two jets need to coordinate the target coordinates so they can get both pods looking in the same area. The LST then refines the spot to a precise point.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

• 3 weeks later...

i've been trying to get this to work..... i must have something set wrong. I have the jet in AG mode. TGP on, laser armed (seemed to have to be on, in the various tutorial videos). i have a predator lasing on 1688. So both my codes are set to that. tgp set to A-G and is SOI. plane set to CCRP, pointing the nose on the target. i hit the cage/uncage button. and it will slave to the steerpoint... and then back. but not lock the laser at all. what am i missing?