A Different (Clarification Seeking) thread about DDI Advisory Indications

Creepy

With all of the previous threads that discussed this topic... I can’t help but notice a few things that were never brought up (at least... that I couldn’t find after going down the rabbit hole for a while).

What I’m tracking so far:

- ED (Wags) has stated that the modelling is primarily based on OFP 13C.

- Every thread related to this as far as I can tell boils down to “I don’t like that the Advisory line covers information” WHEN THERE ARE ADVISORIES ACTUALLY PRESENT.

With the above in mind, I noticed that many of the previous threads give both sim and real-world pictures as examples of why the current modelling is correct, however none of these examples show a DDI with NO advisories present (that is, no real-world examples are given where only "ADV - " and the blank out remain)... only when there are advisories currently set for one reason or another.

My question to ED (or anyone with the info) is, referencing my two attached photos, why doesn’t the “ADV -” (and associated blanked out portion of the DDI) clear out when there are no advisories set? You guys (ED) modeled this correctly with how the Caution lines act, and these two functions are covered in the same section/paragraphs in the NATOPS manual.

Unless there’s more verbiage in the OFP manual you guys (ED) referenced... the advisory header sticking around when Cautions do not is just weird (although I wouldn’t put it past someone developing 13C having a Good Idea that made it into the real OFP).

Unless I missed a previous thread that blatantly dealt with this, any clarification would be awesome because I couldn't find a specific question or answer directed towards the behavior of a “clean” advisory line. Thanks!

1708748175_ADVOnly.thumb.PNG.833e37a6912849476be275b61ff49d63.PNG

1504092524_CAUTADV.thumb.PNG.6734bf55372899d344a617a4cb2d2ec7.PNG

Unless I missed a previous thread that blatantly dealt with this, any clarification would be awesome because I couldn't find a specific question or answer directed towards the behavior of a “clean” advisory line. Thanks!

This has been brought up before and REPORTED, so we can only assume ED are on the case.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

that is correct.

the advisory line shouldnt be there if there are no advisories. there have been alleged former hornet pilots saying this, and there have been photos proving it.

consider it a bug.

however since cautions and advisories trigger often, its a good idea to not put an a page on LDDI in which the obstruction would a problem. so its not that much of an issue in practice.

Edited by dorianR666

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

This has been an issue for such a long time, and it would make such a difference to have this fixed, I really hope ED would take their time to do this (i think) relativelly simple fix

Win10 64, MSI Krait Gaming Z370, I7 8700K, Geforce 1080Ti FTW3 ,32 GB Ram, Samsung 980 EVO SSD

Modules: Combind Arms, A-10C, F-86F, F/A-18, F-16, Flaming Cliffs, KA-50, L-39, P-51, UH-1, Christen Eagle II, Persian Gulf

It's known. My speculation (so don't quote me on this) is that given that IRL there will almost always be at least one advisory (CDATA), the recommendation to keep the radar and SA away from the LDDI is still a thing, so it hasn't been given much priority to fix. Again, I'm speculating though.

This has been brought up before and REPORTED, so we can only assume ED are on the case.

Hence my “all previous threads” ... I was just curious why no one had brought up the fact that all proof given in the previous threads never showed a blank ADV line.

that is correct.

the advisory line shouldnt be there if there are no advisories. there have been alleged former hornet pilots saying this, and there have been photos proving it.

consider it a bug.

however since cautions and advisories trigger often, its a good idea to not put an a page on LDDI in which the obstruction would a problem. so its not that much of an issue in practice.

Oh I’m well aware! :thumbup: I only fly the Rhino, but some of the ones I’ve flown have had the same OFP as later Hornets and this being a thing in the sim is slightly annoying, yes it’s little, but habit patterns die hard haha.

As far as usefulness of the display, I bet it’ll get fixed REAL QUICK when the Az/El page is finally put into the model, turns out a lot of useful things would be covered by the ADV line right now.

It's known. My speculation (so don't quote me on this) is that given that IRL there will almost always be at least one advisory (CDATA), the recommendation to keep the radar and SA away from the LDDI is still a thing, so it hasn't been given much priority to fix. Again, I'm speculating though.

In real life we can also push and hold PB18 to clear specific advisories (like CDATA) that are persistent and expected. I don’t know if this feature was a thing in/before OFP 13C or not though, I was just a thought when 13C was actually being used in jets.

In real life we can also push and hold PB18 to clear specific advisories (like CDATA) that are persistent and expected. I don’t know if this feature was a thing in/before OFP 13C or not though, I was just a thought when 13C was actually being used in jets.

Only in the Rhino. Not the OFP in the Hornet. At least not in the OFPs of the past decade.

Then again, we're talking about a plane with lots of stupid little choices. Why is there a HOTAS shortcut to go from RWS to TWS but not one to go from TWS to RWS? Why do I only have the choice to zoom into the SA but not out (without cursor bumping)? Why do I have no option to show the altitude of targets at all times without having to play TDC/step box/undesignate minigames? Why can't I couple the SA/HSI range to the selected radar range?

Just odd stuff.