USB Power Surges. Help please!! - ED Forums
 


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2019, 07:58 AM   #1
Jetguy06
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Plaquemine, Louisiana
Posts: 203
Default USB Power Surges. Help please!!

Hi guys. I have an HP Omen desktop that's about two years old. It's been working great so far.

For USB hardware I have TMWH stick and throttle, Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals, Rift (needs three USB ports, keyboard, and mouse.

My PC doesn't have enough native ports to support all these peripherals, so I use a USB hub for the stick, throttle, pedals, and keyboard.

A few days ago, I swapped out a Rift sensor plug for my Trackir to play another popular sim that doesn't have Rift support. A few hours ago, I swapped back to Rift, and now my keyboard won't work consistently. I can't even type this post on my PC... I'm having to do this on my phone. My pedals, throttle, and stick are also connecting and disconnecting sporadically without touching the connections.

Researching the symptoms shows this to be power surges in my USB ports, but none of the suggested fixes worked. I tried updating/reinstalling the drivers, restarting, shutting down the PC to unplug then replug the connections before turning the PC back on, unplugging and replugging the connections with the PC running, etc.

I'm at a loss. Someone please help!!
Jetguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:34 AM   #2
Dudikoff
Senior Member
 
Dudikoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Croatia / Lebanon
Posts: 2,357
Default

Is it a USB 2.0 hub? Is it powered with a separate power adapter?

Try to switch the keyboard to the desktop from the hub. If you need to increase the number of USB ports, get a USB extension card which plugs on the mainboard USB headers.
__________________
i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!
Dudikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:53 PM   #3
Jetguy06
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Plaquemine, Louisiana
Posts: 203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudikoff View Post
Is it a USB 2.0 hub? Is it powered with a separate power adapter?

Try to switch the keyboard to the desktop from the hub. If you need to increase the number of USB ports, get a USB extension card which plugs on the mainboard USB headers.
Yeah, it's a 2.0 USB hub. It doesn't use an external power supply or anything. You just plug your USB peripherals into it, then plug it into a USB port on your computer.

I'll try switching out the keyboard and report my results.

Does a USB extension card require external power, i.e. from a surge protector? Because I'm running short on available space on my surge protector. Thanks!!
Jetguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:07 AM   #4
hansangb
Veteran
 
hansangb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 4,246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetguy06 View Post
Yeah, it's a 2.0 USB hub. It doesn't use an external power supply or anything. You just plug your USB peripherals into it, then plug it into a USB port on your computer.

I'll try switching out the keyboard and report my results.

Does a USB extension card require external power, i.e. from a surge protector? Because I'm running short on available space on my surge protector. Thanks!!

Couple of things. He meant do you have a passive hub or a hub that comes with its own power supply. You said passive. But you may want to try an active ones.


As for the USB card, some get all the power via the PCI bus. You can also by a USB "card" that's nothing but USB ports. If you have an open jump/header for USB on your motherboard, you can buy the card and connect the cable to your motherboard.


And finally, you can buy a USB card that gets its power to the PCI interface but also have the capability to connect to extension that I just wrote about. But in that case, it may require a power source from the motherboard via a SATA cable - for power.


Finally, you can try disabling power saving for USB. Google: turn off usb power saving windows 10
__________________
hsb
HW Spec in Spoiler
---
Spoiler:
i7-8700K Delid/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, EVGA Z370 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, JetSeat, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, CV1
hansangb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:07 AM   #5
Jetguy06
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Plaquemine, Louisiana
Posts: 203
Default

Swapping out the keyboard to a motherboard port works, but my stick, throttle, and pedals are still connecting/disconnecting while on the hub.
Jetguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:31 AM   #6
Jetguy06
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Plaquemine, Louisiana
Posts: 203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansangb View Post
Couple of things. He meant do you have a passive hub or a hub that comes with its own power supply. You said passive. But you may want to try an active ones.


As for the USB card, some get all the power via the PCI bus. You can also by a USB "card" that's nothing but USB ports. If you have an open jump/header for USB on your motherboard, you can buy the card and connect the cable to your motherboard.


And finally, you can buy a USB card that gets its power to the PCI interface but also have the capability to connect to extension that I just wrote about. But in that case, it may require a power source from the motherboard via a SATA cable - for power.


Finally, you can try disabling power saving for USB. Google: turn off usb power saving windows 10
I'm sorry... I completely looked over your post thinking yours was a previous post.

I'll definitely look into disabling the USB power saving, and the other hardware options. Hopefully it won't come down to spending a whole lot of cash. I'll report my results from the USB power saving options. Thanks!!
Jetguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:38 AM   #7
HC_Official
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 279
Default

Buy a new USB hub that uses a power supply (make sure you buy a decent brand)
HC_Official is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:43 AM   #8
Dudikoff
Senior Member
 
Dudikoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Croatia / Lebanon
Posts: 2,357
Default

USB 2.0 standard is rather limited power wise, hence why I asked.

I had the same problem and have since gotten myself a USB 2.0 hub with an external power adapter. If I use e.g. my two TM MFD's, a Cougar stick, a Warthog throttle and pedals on it, I'd get disconnects from the Warthog throttle without the power adapter plugged in (and even with it it feels like on the edge of its capabilities so I fear adding more devices to it, like Track IR).

I chose a USB 2.0 powered hub due to it being cheaper and to avoid any potential incompatibility with the controllers (as the ports on my laptop are USB 3), but I guess going with a decent USB 3 hub would be a safer choice (higher power available so you won't need the external power adapter unless you go overboard with connected devices).
__________________
i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Last edited by Dudikoff; 05-22-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Dudikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:40 AM   #9
hansangb
Veteran
 
hansangb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 4,246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetguy06 View Post
I'm sorry... I completely looked over your post thinking yours was a previous post.

I'll definitely look into disabling the USB power saving, and the other hardware options. Hopefully it won't come down to spending a whole lot of cash. I'll report my results from the USB power saving options. Thanks!!



Not a problem at all! Powered USB hubs aren't expensive, so you'll be OK if it turns out to be that. And you can stick with USB2 since joysticks can't take advantage of USB3.x speeds.
__________________
hsb
HW Spec in Spoiler
---
Spoiler:
i7-8700K Delid/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, EVGA Z370 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, JetSeat, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, CV1
hansangb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:48 AM   #10
Jetguy06
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Plaquemine, Louisiana
Posts: 203
Default

USB power saving seems to help, but not completely eradicate the problem. I still get disconnect/connect tones when I take my computer out of sleep, but they don't seem to persist anymore once I start actually doing anything on my PC.


I'm still going to look into a powered USB adapter just to be on the safe side, but things seem to be workable, at the very least, at the moment.
Jetguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:44 AM. vBulletin Skin by ForumMonkeys. Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.