G-limiter override characteristics - Page 6 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-21-2019, 11:27 PM   #51
BuzzU+
Posting Rights Suspended

I had never used the G-limit override until testing for this thread. I like to keep it as real as possible. After the posts by Lex, I believe not using it is what the real pilots do. Good enough for me.

Exploits are for gamers. Aren't we better than that?
Old 05-21-2019, 11:28 PM   #52
Hummingbird+
Posting Rights Suspended

AFAIK assymmetric loads are already modelled, atleast in the F-14 wing failure seems a lot more frequent if you add some roll whilst in a very high G turn.

But let's not get any further OT here, the main problem atm is that the FCS isn't properly modelled, which IMO is more important atm as it relates to how the aircraft feels to fly.
Hummingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:46 PM   #53
G B

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzU View Post
I had never used the G-limit override until testing for this thread. I like to keep it as real as possible. After the posts by Lex, I believe not using it is what the real pilots do. Good enough for me.

Exploits are for gamers. Aren't we better than that?
You’re correct. Real pilots do not use it.
G B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:35 AM   #54
Hummingbird+
Posting Rights Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Talionis View Post
When pilots use flaps in the f14 and over G them they should become frozen, maybe asometricly, and the aircraft inadvertently roll or the wing incure damage if it tries to sweep ....
This already happens, go over a certain speed and the auxilliary flaps freeze, often asymmetrically. Hence I pretty much never use auxilliary flaps in the cat when dogfighting, I leave everything in automatic. Auxilliary flaps are only to be used below 220 knots.
Hummingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:00 AM   #55
Lex Talionis

Good to hear AS limits are modeled. I would imagine the wings wouldn't be able to sweep either once the flaps were bent/frozen. But i was talking more about the flaps G limit. G limits in general.

Anyway.... happy gaming.

Last edited by Lex Talionis; 05-22-2019 at 01:19 AM.
Lex Talionis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:11 AM   #56
Vitormouraa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Talionis View Post
Yup.

The override is an emergency tool. You basically remove all flight computer safe gards for over G protection.

Asking the flight computer for the ability to over G the airframe can be quit disturbing. BFM is violent in the real plane.

- hope this helps
Very nice posts, Lex. Thanks for sharing them.

By the way, have you noticed how the G-Limiter often fails to protect the airplane from exceeding the maximum load factor even when the weight exceeds 32,000 pounds? (according to NATOPS, from my understanding, there is no G-Limiter at or below 32k).

Is that actually accurate? i.e you can still over G the aircraft, up to 10G even when the G-Limiter is working 100%.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:46 AM   #57
G B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitormouraa View Post
Very nice posts, Lex. Thanks for sharing them.

By the way, have you noticed how the G-Limiter often fails to protect the airplane from exceeding the maximum load factor even when the weight exceeds 32,000 pounds? (according to NATOPS, from my understanding, there is no G-Limiter at or below 32k).

Is that actually accurate? i.e you can still over G the aircraft, up to 10G even when the G-Limiter is working 100%.
No matter the gross weight, you can over G with a fully functioning G limiter. If you snatch on the G very quickly, you can command an excessive G faster than the computer can stop you from doing it.
G B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:57 AM   #58
Lex Talionis

.... on set rate is an important consideration as well

What GB said .
Old 05-22-2019, 03:41 AM   #59
Sierra99
Campaign Testers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummingbird View Post
To avoid an instant jolt of 2 to 3 extra G's once you cross the regular limit.
I think you are misusing the G-limiter. I can’t think of a reason you would disengage the limiter then “ease into” an over gee situation. Usually it’s a case of Betty “INSISTING “ that I “PULL UP, PULL UP!” And me mashing the paddle to avoid “Controlled Flight into Terrain”. (At least when I fly anyway).

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog, Cougar MFDs x3, Thrustmaster T.Flight Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

Last edited by Sierra99; 05-24-2019 at 01:35 PM.
Sierra99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:50 AM   #60
Vitormouraa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by G B View Post
No matter the gross weight, you can over G with a fully functioning G limiter. If you snatch on the G very quickly, you can command an excessive G faster than the computer can stop you from doing it.
That's exactly what I thought, reminds me of an interview about the F-111 where a pilot mentioned its analogue computers which couldn't keep up with the rate of acceleration of the F-111.