So ummm what are the differences between this and the new Version? - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-19-2019, 10:00 PM   #11
Ala13_ManOWar

Quote:
Originally Posted by msalama View Post
What good stuff? As a dedicated groundpounder, am more than happy to get the F model now(ish) while waiting for the Mossie to drop.
Yeah, I'm with you, but higher performances later model ones are what we currently have mostly, so anything we get is a "step back" with regard to raw performance. I personally don't care, A-8 is one of the models I was longing for in a DCS level, but people usually only request the latest available, the highest performances, or even higher than they already have if possible. Check the forums for people asking 25Lbs Spit or a MkXIV, 72-75" MP P-51, 1.98Ata K4, a higher rated D9, or a higher rated P-47 we don't even get yet , so any step back in performances is probably perceived by them as undesired.

So, we got the latest models, the best performers mostly (except Spit IX I guess people would argue), the "good stuff", and now an earlier model, a lower performer. Hope anyway people welcome it as deserved. Will them?

S!
Old 05-20-2019, 06:29 AM   #12
msalama
Veteran

Well I think most will, for various reasons. It's a classic radial-engined Würger for one, and a more balanced opponent to the Allied birds we currently have. Plus the aforementioned F model is a must for us groundpounders anyway
Old 05-20-2019, 11:07 AM   #13
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ala13_ManOWar View Post
Yeah, I'm with you, but higher performances later model ones are what we currently have mostly, so anything we get is a "step back" with regard to raw performance. I personally don't care, A-8 is one of the models I was longing for in a DCS level, but people usually only request the latest available, the highest performances, or even higher than they already have if possible. Check the forums for people asking 25Lbs Spit or a MkXIV, 72-75" MP P-51, 1.98Ata K4, a higher rated D9, or a higher rated P-47 we don't even get yet , so any step back in performances is probably perceived by them as undesired.

So, we got the latest models, the best performers mostly (except Spit IX I guess people would argue), the "good stuff", and now an earlier model, a lower performer. Hope anyway people welcome it as deserved. Will them?

S!
tell me who would not like p-51H ?? ot TA-152
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:19 PM   #14
Ala13_ManOWar

Quote:
Originally Posted by msalama View Post
Well I think most will, for various reasons. It's a classic radial-engined Würger for one, and a more balanced opponent to the Allied birds we currently have. Plus the aforementioned F model is a must for us groundpounders anyway
Yeah, I'm totally with you. Hope so for the rest of users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafspee View Post
tell me who would not like p-51H ?? ot TA-152
I'm not interested in H model whatsoever . What would be the point if even at Korea there were Ds?

About Ta-152, I don't think there's enough documentation for that, not to mention it was a rarity, but with time and other more important models in the planeset already available, why not?

S!
Old 05-20-2019, 02:30 PM   #15
grafspee

Quote:
Yeah, I'm totally with you. Hope so for the rest of users.

I'm not interested in H model whatsoever . What would be the point if even at Korea there were Ds?

About Ta-152, I don't think there's enough documentation for that, not to mention it was a rarity, but with time and other more important models in the planeset already available, why not?

S!
Not interested in p-51H ?? realy ?? i dont belive you there
Old 05-20-2019, 03:41 PM   #16
Ala13_ManOWar

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafspee View Post
Not interested in p-51H ?? realy ?? i dont belive you there
It's so ugly with that tall tail, sorry .

S!
Old 05-20-2019, 04:14 PM   #17
grafspee

Quote:
It's so ugly with that tall tail, sorry .

S!
for me looks badass more slim i realy dont like air scoop for coolers in D. scoop in H is just pure preformance
Old 05-21-2019, 02:09 AM   #18
streakeagle

My argument is that for the radial engined Fw190s, the A5 was the best version, not the latest, but the best and was more contemporary and a better competitor with the Spitfire MkIX than the A8. The original post wanted to know the differences between the D9 and the A8... which are quite large across the board. But at lower altitudes, the A5 is a very competitive ride. The tradeoffs between the A5 and the D9 are not unlike the tradeoffs between the Spitfire MkIX and MkXIV. Of course the late war monsters have all the power and speed, but that comes at a cost in weight/agility. Some people are happier in light/agile aircraft as opposed to high wing loading aircraft with big engines and lots of torque.

On paper, the D9 is almost a perfect match for the P-51D. In this game, the D9 is extremely hard to fly against the AI P-51D, whereas the AI Fw190D9 can be defeated consistently with a well-flown P-51D.

But the Bf109K4 smokes them all with power and agility, its only limitations in combat being the cockpit view and armament... and both of those can be overcome with just a bit of practice. It is the takeoffs and landings that will kill you in a K4

Of the four aircraft presently available, I think the K4 is the most fun to fly. Not only is it powerful and agile, but it is a little unstable. It feels the closest to my real world experiences of flying Pipers and Cessnas in terms of the way it responds to control movements and the way the view looks.

But my favorite for combat is the P-51D with its balance between speed, maneuverability, and firepower as well as its very effective K-14 gunsight. Very easy to take off and land, too. It is just a little underpowered compared to its opponents, so the acceleration and climb limitations make it important to conserve speed and altitude.

The Spitfire MkIX is normally an easy mode plane in most WW2 combat flight sims. The only real limitation being its maximum speed. But in DCS World, it is a very touchy aircraft and is almost as hard as the 109 during take offs and landings. When you get used to it, it flies as well as it does in other sims, but it isn't the forgiving, super agile aircraft it is in most other sims. When choosing between the Spitfire and the Mustang, you are choosing whether you want a Merlin wrapped in 7,000 lbs or 10,000 lbs. But the aerodynamic advantages of the P-51 go a long way toward making up for the extra 3,000 lbs... which is mostly fuel anyway. So it is more fair to compare the P-51's performance with a fuel load that permits the same flying range as its opponent.

I look forward to trying the Fw190A8, but it is clearly at the bottom of the performance bucket in the current stable of flyable modules available... both underpowered and too slow unless you keep it within 2,000 m of sea level. Unless it "feels" a lot better than the D9, most of my Fw190 time will be with the D9 until an A5 or Ta152 becomes available.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:42 AM   #19
grafspee

a-8 radial engine air cooled 1700hp
d-9 inverted v12 liquid cooled ~2000hp annular radiator in front of the engine
difrent gun sight
a-8 more cannons
what else ??
a-8 higher wing load then d-9 when fully loaded

Last edited by grafspee; 05-21-2019 at 06:52 AM.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:03 PM   #20
Zeagle

Comparing the A-5, A-8, and D-9 to each other is ridiculous. They are different birds designed for different purposes. The A-8 can carry a lot more weaponry than the A-5. And it is more heavily armored. It is NOT slow. It is an interceptor, designed to counter the bombing threat of the time. The F-8 is the fighter-bomber (multirole) variant.