iS dcs ww2 DEAD?

Im not sure where to post this, but Ive come from another ww2 sim and love the DCS ww2 offering. Trouble is, I can never find anyone on MP servers? I goto open Beta, maybe 3 guys flying ww2 planes if Im lucky. Goto stable, same thing, less than 3 guys. Is it just not a thing anymore to fly ww2 MP in DCS? Am I supposed to join on a specific night to find any players? Thank you.

Dead? No, but it's not as popular. There are LOTS of WWII sims, and always have been. 90% of the people who come here, are interested in the modern jets and helos, which can't really be had elsewhere.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I prefer Storm of War. The german aircraft have no MW 50.

LFDM is for "quicker" action, but not airquake.

Both are located in Europe and get populated in the evening ~1800utc

I haven't seen anyone on Burning Skies lately.

Fox

Spoiler

PC Specs: Ryzen 9 5900X, 3080ti, 64GB RAM, Oculus Quest 3

Depending on when you fly, SoW and LDFM servers tend to be quite busy.

As Dietrich has pointed out above, SoW has had around 500 unique players join at some point during this month,

http://www.stormofwar.org/?Page=dcs/stats/overview

Over 1100 hour have been flown by humans since the start of May

http://www.stormofwar.org/?Page=dcs/stats/aircraft

Storm of War also has a very rich Ai environment, so even if there are no humans on, or few humans on, there is always air activity on-going such as bombing raids, recon flights, transport flights and AI fighter sweeps.

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

You have several server from more quick action to more serious.

My personal favourite one is Storm of War that portrays the Normandy invasion and following days using realistic missions and targets. There should be like 15-20 players there in GMT afternoons.

Then you have Blue Flag Normandy, which more serious and need even more commitment as you have limited lives.

The most popular one is LFDM, I don't know much about this one as I've rarely flown in it.

And finally Burning Skies which is the most quick action server with mostly A/A engagements and some ground targets.

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

Yup. The thing with MP in DCS is that it tends to be very regional and the MP player base is much larger in Europe compared to the states.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

It's not popular as it should be....

DCS WW2 is the best WW2 experience

I have IL2 installed but it's much more arcade.

DCS WW2 is closer to real thing (sim) and feels better, but it's expensive as hell:

1. Normandy $50 2. WW2 Assets $25 3. $50 plane = $125 for one plane, and environment or half of that if it's a sale.

But it's still better than $40 for arcade planes

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The P-47 is close to being released (was said to be released in May) and I believe a WW2 version of the Mariannas islands is in the works... so there should be a bump in activity soon!

Channel map

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Im not sure where to post this, but Ive come from another ww2 sim and love the DCS ww2 offering. Trouble is, I can never find anyone on MP servers? I goto open Beta, maybe 3 guys flying ww2 planes if Im lucky. Goto stable, same thing, less than 3 guys. Is it just not a thing anymore to fly ww2 MP in DCS? Am I supposed to join on a specific night to find any players? Thank you.

After the latest update that brought some bugs for ALL Axis planes, people kind of ditched it..

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

WW2 planes in DCS are like being an owner of a ww2 bird today. You have it in some hangar and take it for a spin at lazy Sunday afternoon. Nice clicky cockpits but atmosphere is zero to none. Then you try Il2 sturmovik planes without clicky cockpits but atmosphere is 10000 times better and more immersive.

mag.iur.

WW2 planes in DCS are like being an owner of a ww2 bird today. You have it in some hangar and take it for a spin at lazy Sunday afternoon. Nice clicky cockpits but atmosphere is zero to none. Then you try Il2 sturmovik planes without clicky cockpits but atmosphere is 10000 times better and more immersive.

But when you fly them, in IL2, you rapidly feel disappointed of the FM. I still give this to ED as having the best FM of both, I have other things to object to ED, but that's a different story. With time, as more planes and assets will be added, the atmosphere of WWII will come close to the opposition, no doubt.

Edited by amazingme

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

After the latest update that brought some bugs for ALL Axis planes, people kind of ditched it..

Yes, this weekend the WW2 server were pretty barren. I am now more focused on the F/A-18 (I am finally getting proficient in a modern jet and I am really enjoying it!) but I wanted to do a couple of sorties in SoW with the 109 however, server was empty and I remembered that there's a bad bug going on so went back to the Hornet.

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

Sunday Afternoon Spins for Warbirds!

100% :thumbup: - Sunday Afternoon Spins for Warbirds are a significant change of pace.

I just spent my Sunday afternoon and, the better part of the evening, configuring the Polikarpov I-16.

Binding the HOTAS and Flight Panel switches was a sweet rewarding pain. A WWII warbird can give you a feeling of accomplishment by just completing a radial engine cold start. Even simple things like landing gear are a coordinated ballet of levers and cranks. I had a laugh when I found out the landing lights on the I-16 were torches that are only available via the Missions Editor. (Thanks to CHUCKS GUIDE for that).

Cheers

JJF.

• Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

My group has starting flying DCS WWII recently and are enjoying it immensely.

We have been flying together for a couple decades, all WWII era, and we have a presence in War Thunder, IL2 and in DCS (now).

Our greatest challenge in DCS is finding servers that recognize spotting in VR without some sort of labels is not feasible. Even with the most common versions of dot labels it is still more difficult than in reality (and we have guys who have done and still do air combat for a living in the real world)

Storm of War is not on the menu because of this.

We fly quite a bit in LFDM and enjoy it. The fields are a little too close and that creates its own set of issues.

We also fly on our private server when we can't find a populated public server or have guys who need to do some setup or familiarization.

DCS WWII has a lot going for it but there are also plenty of issues. Flight modeling has a few holes that will not be corrected but, overall, the FM is the best available.

Damage modeling is a major issue.

VR performance in DCS in a close dogfight is not good, with some level of re-projection no matter what.

I think we will be in DCS WWII for the long term and I will probably open a public WWII server to serve the US VR audience. In order to not dilute the population I will probably only make it available US evenings since LFDM is well populated during the Euro time slot.

Edited by pmiceli

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

Funny. I get rapidly frustrated to DCS FM whenever I try ww2 planes. For me DCS FM is not strong in WW2 planes overall; all that wobbling just does not make sense in the gut feeling for example. It's something like IL2 had in its pre-3.0 times. Ground handling has been weird also, bumps and shakes are nice. It sure is fun to work with the instruments though.

Many people seem to think that "harder = more realistic", but that is common misinterpretation. While it is largely true for engine and system management, but flying itself should not feel hard per se, it should feel natural.

Modern planes fly better and that's what I do in DCS. Seems to me that I just buy those WW2 modules (I have all) but cannot get myself to actually fly those as there is a better experience elsewhere.

Um no, plenty happy with dcs FM.

It’s like what has been said for long time in reference to ww2 FM in dcs, they are built for and by pilots, while il2 is built for gamers.

Edited by Enduro14

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

Funny. I get rapidly frustrated to DCS FM whenever I try ww2 planes. For me DCS FM is not strong in WW2 planes overall; all that wobbling just does not make sense in the gut feeling for example. It's something like IL2 had in its pre-3.0 times. Ground handling has been weird also, bumps and shakes are nice. It sure is fun to work with the instruments though.

Many people seem to think that "harder = more realistic", but that is common misinterpretation. While it is largely true for engine and system management, but flying itself should not feel hard per se, it should feel natural.

Modern planes fly better and that's what I do in DCS. Seems to me that I just buy those WW2 modules (I have all) but cannot get myself to actually fly those as there is a better experience elsewhere.

Watch this video, it shows how it really is to fly a ww2 bird. Constant trimming and foot work is required. No other simulator can provide this level of experience.

I agree that DCS WW2 lacks immersion factor but FM wise is the best one for sure.

A-10C / AJS-37 / AV-8B / BF-109 / KA-50 / F-14 / F-16C / F-5E / F/A-18C / FC3 / JF-17 / F-86 / M-2000C / MiG-21bis / P-51D / Spitfire LF Mk. IX / UH-1H Huey

IL-2 does not scratch the itch the way that DCS does, for me. Il-2 is more like a game. I'm really hesitant to call it a flight sim.

One poster said that DCS is like taking a restored warbird up for a spin, but IL-2 is more immersive

Exactly the opposite for me. I spend most of my time in here and jump into IL-2 every now and then. I was recently enjoying flying in IL-2 with that cloud mod. But just for some short hops. I came back in here when I wanted get serious.

When I fly DCS I feel as though I am in a airplane, not a game. X-Plane 11 does that for me, too.

IL-2 is not bad. It's not. But I really do prefer DCS for flying military airplanes.

WW2 is far from dead. I'm looking forward to that Channel map. P-47 is coming and then the Mosquito. And that Corsair! With the Marianna Islands. And an Essex class aircraft carrier. And a Zero!

Seems to be breathing to me.