Altimeter texture mod? - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-07-2019, 10:59 AM   #1
escaner

Default Altimeter texture mod?

I am unable to see the altimeter drum digits in daylight most of the time when it is in the shadow. Unless I turn on the lights or zoom in.

Is there a mod that increases the contrast of the altimeter inner drum digits?
I found a couple of cockpit mods but they both change the label positions and fonts for VR. I was looking for something less radical.

Thanks a lot
Old 12-07-2019, 06:50 PM   #2
Chuck_Henry

Unfortunately, the Clean Labels Cockpit mod is the only thing that approaches what you're asking for. Hopefully there are folks working on mods to solve this kind of issue. For what it's worth, according to our handful of former F-14 aircrew around here, the gauges could be fairly difficult to read in the real jet, too.
Chuck_Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:59 AM   #3
escaner

That is one of the mods that I found, the other one (less aggressive) being Brickdust's Drunken Sailor. I guess I will have to try the DIY route.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:36 AM   #4
draconus
DCS Ground Crew

They keep saying that's how it was IRL in this model but I have yet to see a single picture of our version. It can even be one from another aircraft but same model. Anyone? I mean only the drum digits for thousands of ft being a bit too small.
draconus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:59 AM   #5
escaner

Maybe it is accurate, but when the result in the sim is that I cannot read a primary flight instrument, I am not happy with that solution. Sims have limitations and sometimes concessions need to be done to better reproduce reality.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:25 AM   #6
Reflected
3rd Party Campaign Creator

I also hate the altimeter, super hard to read, but cranking up the instrument panel lights helps a lot. Interesting to know it was like this IRL.
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:03 PM   #7
IronMike
3rd Party Developer

Thanks for the feedback guys, but imo that is why you would also crank up your instrument lights in daylight, or why for example in a car even certain parts of your console are illuminated, even when your lights are off... Certain instruments will always be a bit hidden in the shadows, imo changing their scale in the cockpit would look horrible (and I dont see any other way to make them more readable. DCS lighting is also a bit too dark in daylight shadows, compare the red reaper skin, the offside of the sun appears almost black, there's nothing we can do about that). It's not unreasonable to ask you guys to turn up the lights if you have to, imho, it is what they are here for.

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/
IronMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:26 PM   #8
draconus
DCS Ground Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
... imo changing their scale in the cockpit would look horrible (and I dont see any other way to make them more readable.
Please, don't, ever.
draconus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 12:04 AM   #9
escaner

I have modified the levels in the texture file for the gauges (especially the altimeter drum digits) discarding some of the unused range in the whites. Quite easy to do and much more readable now with the increased contrast.
Old 12-27-2019, 12:52 AM   #10
r4y30n

Quote:
Originally Posted by draconus View Post
They keep saying that's how it was IRL in this model but I have yet to see a single picture of our version.
Isn't this the altimeter we have?
r4y30n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
altimeter, cockpit, contrast, mod, unreadable