Confused on what to get. Oddy+ vs Rift S

Randy_Lahey

Full disclosure. I've never tried VR. Not even a friends or at a store etc...

However, I am very interested in trying a set, but have some budget limits. I feel the Oddy+@$299 US or the Rift S at $399US are reasonable for my budget. I really have no great desire to play many VR titles, but I do want to try VR out in DCS as I think it would help with the immersion etc...

Or talk me out of this fiasco before I begin.

Computer should run it I think. 8086k@5ghz all core, 1080ti hybrid cooler @2,000mhz sustained via oc. 32gb ram at PC3200. Current monitor is a 27" 144hz 1440p setup.

HOTAS is Logitech X56 stick/throttle. I may have to upgrade this as well, as I think something may be wrong with sensors in stick. Seems to always lose calibration and drift.

No rudder pedals yet. Open to suggestions.

Thoughts on the VR sets?

From what ive heard the S is clearer than the O+ and will run smoother. However its newer and is going through some teething troubles.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

VR is incredible and I don't think either headset will disappoint with your setup.

I agree with Harlikwin - I think the Rift S might be a bit better overall from an experience perspective, but is still going through some 'new to the market' pain.

The o+ is a known quantity, and for the price, is very good. The two minor challenges are WMR (some very minor tracking issues), and the Anti SDE screen does kill SDE, but the cost is things can look fuzzy at a distance. The cockpit is very readable though.

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

Using Rift S heavily for nearly two weeks now and aside from lackluster audio I haven't had any issues with it at all. My hardware is very similar to the OP and I'm very happy with the Rift S.

Get the Rift S. Hands down. I've got an O+ and original rift and the O+ collects dust because it doesn't work well in DCS and your forced to use SteamVR, which sucks. I've got friends with the Rift S and I hear nothing but good things.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

@Hook47 - I use my O+ every day and haven't really had any issues at all. It works fine.

You do have to use SteamVR, but the Rift S is also having its own special issues...

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

well my wallet says O+ but my brain says I'll end up with the Rift S lol. So I think I'm leaning Rift S now.

Also, I'm dumb re: VR. When you say for the O+, you have to use steam VR, do you mean I need to be running DCS through steam to use VR or just have a steam AP VR running? I have the stand alone DCS, NOT steam DCS.

You don't need Steam for stand alone DCS :)

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

No DCS Steam version necessary. If you go WMR then

1. don't download the latest windows update 1908

2. Update WMR to latest version

3. Download and install SteamVR for Windows Mixed Reality

4. Then start the grind to tweak your O+ for the best performance!

Its very easy.

There is an o+ consolidated settings thread from April that should have all the info you need to get it running great!

If you do decide to go Rift S, I would also take a look at the HP reverb before clicking go. The cost difference isn't much, and the resolution is likely going to be really good. Just some food for thought...

I sold both of my Odyssey+ over the last few days, I'm keeping the Rift S. The Rift S is just superior to the Odyssey+ in my experience and opinion for DCS. I wouldn't have guessed that'd end up being the case based on specs, but it is.

We'll see what the Reverb is like shortly, but even if it's great, the Rift S is still an excellent Vr HMD for DCS or any cockpit sim/game.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1