Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

This is as real as it gets. Impressive device indeed. Bought Rift S and I am in awe. Flat screen doesnt do DCS justice. It comes alive in VR. Bye Flat screen. Thank you Eagle Dynamics.

:thumbup:

I said bye to the flat screen in Jan of 2017, have not done any gaming on it since.

I tried once, and within 5 minutes I was like " Oh heck no!" lol.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually fly better now in VR than in 2D screens. My landing is now on spot. Plus I kill more bandits now in VR than in 2D. :lol:

I am never going back to 2D:lol:

Yeah I am with you there.

I could not imagine trying to do some good Carrier traps in the Hornet looking at a tiny image on a monitor... Pretty sure I feel the "yank" when I catch that wire and my Hornet comes to a quick stop.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Howdy Folks, hoping for some insight here if possible.

I had to take a 2 month hiatus (work) from DCS and when I got back and did all the DCS patches and Rift S updates, I noticed that I no longer had sound from both my PC speakers and my Rift S headset in DCS. I really liked this as my speaker system could put out bass that the Rift S could only dream of. Now it's either one or the other, but what's really weird is that when I am running DCS, and I go to the Oculus Menu, then DCS sounds are on both speakers and headset. But when I go back into the sim, I lose headset sound.

Any chance for folks that operate this way that you could share with me your settings. I'd be extremely grateful.

- Apache600

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Museum Relic Campaign: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=164322

Community Missions (SP & MP) --> https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=205546

Howdy Folks, hoping for some insight here if possible.

I had to take a 2 month hiatus (work) from DCS and when I got back and did all the DCS patches and Rift S updates, I noticed that I no longer had sound from both my PC speakers and my Rift S headset in DCS. I really liked this as my speaker system could put out bass that the Rift S could only dream of. Now it's either one or the other, but what's really weird is that when I am running DCS, and I go to the Oculus Menu, then DCS sounds are on both speakers and headset. But when I go back into the sim, I lose headset sound.

Any chance for folks that operate this way that you could share with me your settings. I'd be extremely grateful.

- Apache600

The reason you lose headset sound when you go back to the sim is that...you haven't set out audio out in DCS.

Go to DCS Home Menu, click the Options and Choose the Audio section.

In that page there is the option of Main audio, set that to your Rift S or your system speakers.

There are more ways to do this. But try that, let me know

Edited by terrafinale

This is as real as it gets. Impressive device indeed. Bought Rift S and I am in awe. Flat screen doesnt do DCS justice. It comes alive in VR. Bye Flat screen. Thank you Eagle Dynamics.

Not trying to mock you, but the first thing I thought reading this was, how easy it is to pull 7g while checking my 5 (Im too old to see my six) and only wearing socks! :smilewink:

You may be right in saying "as real as it gets" but thats still miles away from the real thing. There is nothing in any sim/game that can reproduce the Gs being pulled or the stress of flying above enemy terretory and having a RWR singing to you....

Being a recent convertie from monitor to VR I still badly miss the resolution and general imagequality. Eg closing in on a S-3 tanker 0,2 miles out the S-3s wings still look like they are only made of two rows of pixels..

But Im getting used to it.

But the 3d-experience of VR of course has its great sides (like being a better pilot) and that why Im not planning on going back to only monitor.

Still because of some of its deficites going to VR overall has not increased my experience with DCS drastically. Maybe once we have 2x4k HMDs and dual RTX4080Ti-setups in DCS 4.0.......

Edited by Wali763

When I play dcs than only in vr (rift no s). Even if the resolution is not the best. I have to turn off the map on the mfd's, because lines and symbols are not readable. My best friend in vr is the vr zoom key. Nevertheless, this sim only makes fun with vr.

Unfortunately, I have some black screens for just a second and then disappearing. I wonder if it is the cable...?

I also recognized a problem (playing online) that after an hour (or longer) the rift shuts down (first the image stucks and then gets completly black) and then dcs crashes - or maybe dcs crashes and this is the reason for the black screen. Anybody else with similiar experience?

________________________ ________ ______ ___ __ _

Win10 64 Pro, i7-6800K 3.4Ghz, 32 GB (DDR4), Asus Aorus 1080 TI WF, TrackIR 5 / RIFT, Thrustmaster Warthog, Fanatec Pedals, 55" oled 4k TV, Modules:A10C, KA-50, Huey, AV-8B, FA-18, F-16, NTTR, Persian Gulf

_ __ ___ ____ _____ ______ _______ ____________

• 2 weeks later...
When I play dcs than only in vr (rift no s). Even if the resolution is not the best. I have to turn off the map on the mfd's, because lines and symbols are not readable. My best friend in vr is the vr zoom key. Nevertheless, this sim only makes fun with vr.

Unfortunately, I have some black screens for just a second and then disappearing. I wonder if it is the cable...?

I also recognized a problem (playing online) that after an hour (or longer) the rift shuts down (first the image stucks and then gets completly black) and then dcs crashes - or maybe dcs crashes and this is the reason for the black screen. Anybody else with similiar experience?

I'm fighting this issue too. Only with my Rift S, normal Rift works great. Are you experiencing this crash with any certain aircraft? For me it's the F-14.

The reason you lose headset sound when you go back to the sim is that...you haven't set out audio out in DCS.

Go to DCS Home Menu, click the Options and Choose the Audio section.

In that page there is the option of Main audio, set that to your Rift S or your system speakers.

There are more ways to do this. But try that, let me know

1) - How can I set up Audio, to get the sound from Rift s and surround system at same time?

2) - Does the microphone from the Rift s work properly, if both sound sources are working at the same time?

3) - Do you use the virtual VR safety cage from the Rift s Guardian with DCS; if yes, does the Guardian include the monitore

4) - What's your ideal distance between monitore and your seat for using the VR Cockpit?

Best Regards

I also set ASW locked to 45 fps. Which in game gives 40 - which is acceptabel. With ASW off or auto I get a lot of blurry objects: when they move I see kind of a ghost picture of the position just before where it now is. (A bit difficult to describe). Rather strange. In other games, when fps drops- well , it just drops and movement is less fluid but never this strange ghost images.

I also set ASW locked to 45 fps. Which in game gives 40 - which is acceptabel. With ASW off or auto I get a lot of blurry objects: when they move I see kind of a ghost picture of the position just before where it now is. (A bit difficult to describe). Rather strange. In other games, when fps drops- well , it just drops and movement is less fluid but never this strange ghost images.

Likely because DCS does not currently support depth buffering which is a requirement for Oculus ASW 2.0 technology introduced last May. If the application does not then the Rift reverts to ASW 1 technology.

Easy way to tell if a game supports ASW 2 - if you can bring up Dash whilst in the game and the game remains displayed, it does. If the image fades to just gray , then it does not.

More info here:

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-launches-asw-2-0-asynchronous-spacewarp/

Don B

Some questions on using Oculus Rift s

1) - How can I set up Audio, to get the sound from Rift s and surround system at same time?

2) - Does the microphone from the Rift s work properly, if both sound sources are working at the same time?

3) - Do you use the virtual VR safety cage from the Rift s Guardian with DCS; if yes, does the Guardian include the monitore

4) - What's your ideal distance between monitore and your seat for using the VR Cockpit?

Didn't you ask the same thing 3 posts upwarts?

1: No clue, i only use a headphone (so Windows audio only).

2: No clue either... i use the microphone on the separate headset.

3: No, i don't use it (but i rather did read a nice solution to put the guardian just in front of you so when you pass your head through the fence, you can look at your keyboard...i'll give that a shot later on.

4: I use it where i sit when i would use it in 2D.

Edited by Lange_666
typo's

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

1- I have no idea on this.

2 - Rift S Microphone is treated separately from audio out - so you can set Mic to whatever device you prefer. I myself use a USB desktop mic and have Rift S mic disabled.

3 - Yes as I play some other games that require some moving around. My Guardian however does not interfere with seated games as I am not moving around in them.

4 - Whatever is most comfortable to you - distance from monitor does not come into play at least for me, distance from my center mounted joystick however does.

Don B

Using the Guardian from the Rift s (front end before desk with monitors & keyboard), always when I had the location of my seat in VR same as in 2D, I had much too little distance to the HUD of my plane, Panels on left and right were only partial reachable for me.

Edited by Nightmare_X

Hi, I'd just like to share my experience. I spent quite some time playing around with the settings and what I'm listing bellow works best for me in most cases. I have an 'average' PC by VR standards - an old (but fast) i7 3770K with a GTX 1080 card and 16 GB RAM, so I guess these might come handy for other people.

First of all I have Oculus settings at high quality. Then if we look at DCS, I have most set at high, but I'd like to point out these:

- pixel density (VR) - 1.3 (this is you primary variable)

- shadows - medium (high has an impact on FR)

- msaa - off (impossible for me to get a stable frame rate with this on)

- visibility range - high

- lens effects - on (increases immersion, low impact on FR)

- terrain obj shadows - flat (do not go higher, huge impact on FR)

- cockpit global illumination - on (nice setting, like lens flare)

- terrain preload - you can go pretty low here, if you have the game on a SSD. It will just load faster, maybe consume a bit less RAM even.

I don't find pixel density above 1.3 to bring much benefit to picture quality and also my 1080 starts to run out of steam at higher settings. If you go for 1.2 or lower, the cockpit dials get blurry. Basically you aim for a clear image and a stable FR. In DCS your location on the map and altitude have a huge effect on FR. If you can get a good FR on the ground of a large airport or flying low above a city, looking over your shoulder, you will have it smooth everywhere else. As noted before, these settings offer pretty stable FR and enough realism to do the trick for me, provide immersion.

I also have to note that for me personally for example a Mig 29 cockpit looks very nice and realistic and the plane model doesn't hog the FR. A10C on the other hand is quite problematic. That plane's physics model and cockpit appear to be more complex so it is much harder to get a stable FR in that plane. As a consequence, I prefer certain planes for VR and avoid others.

An additional note: I tried to get A-10C in a bit better shape and it turns out that with this plane turning cockpit global illumination off makes a noticeable difference on FR stability. With Flaming Cliffs planes and their simpler cockpits it does not.

Edited by bernardv

I read your posts, guys (also thanks Bernardv, your post clarified some of my settings and I finaly able to fly with stable FR) and experimented with my settings and I got this:

I didn't set anything in VR settings in simulator except enable VR and PD to 1.0, cause I'm using OTT, so with my system spec are: i7-8770, 32Gb RAM, RTX 2070 i got this:

OTT settings:

DSS = 1.9

ASW = 45

disabled everything else, also set in oculus settings "Prefer performance".

in DCS I set:

shadows - FLAT

MSAA - turned off, really huge FPS impact

Lens effect: on

cockpit global illumination: on

After that I'm able to fly in any airplane without any problems (dunno what you've got with A10-C, don't see any problems with this plane), cockpit looks nice, everything readable, also I'm finally able to see targets on the ground as my previous settings were blurring ground quite a lot. Also I set tree/grass to half of available setting, looks really nice and no FPS loss at all when flying low. Tested everything online on server with high object count, no problems so far.

With best regards, Albert R. Valiev

----

Oculus Rift S, i7-8700, RTX-2070, 32Gb RAM, M2 SSD (X4 PCI-E mode).

So, I understand Oculus Rift S resolution is 4K ?

No, closest to true 4k would be Reverb afaik.

Having said that, I use and love my Rift S - get good performance which allows me to run some higher graphics settings.

Don B

210 pages

Sorry if it has been asked and replied before.

Simple question.

I own the Oculus and I have had it for two years.

Is it worth upgrading to Rift-S or should one wait for "next gen"?

"Your pumping days are over, Megatron!" -Optimus Prime

"This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence" -Vyvian

I went from the Rift CV1 to the Rift S and I think the upgrade was worthwhile.

You get better resolution but also better FPS since the S is only 80Hz, so 10 FPS less needed and if I use pixel density of 1 with the S, the picture is a lot better than the CV1 on 1,5 (or above).

You can also ditch the external sensors and get better handcontrollers.

But, as always, there are even better headsets out there.

So if the cost vs. benefit is good enough for you, only you can know...

210 pages

Sorry if it has been asked and replied before.

Simple question.

I own the Oculus and I have had it for two years.

Yes it is, at least to me it certainly was. Got my Rift S last May and love it, have not used the Cv1 since. And I use VR practically every day for several hours each week.

Couple of caveats though:

1: Headset audio - built in speakers are crap imho. I use earbuds plugged into the Rift S audio jack and sound is great.

2: Mic is iffy - at least mine is. That problem does not seem to be widely prevalent though, so I may be an isolated case. I just added a desktop USB mic to my setup and disabled the Rift S Mic.

Even with the above though, the Rift S provides a great and solid experience at a very reasonable price.

Don B

do you like to have hands tracking in Rift S?

you can vote for having it on the Rift S here: https://oculus.uservoice.com/forums/918556-oculus-rift-s-and-rift/suggestions/38690920-optical-handtracking-for-rift-s

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
Win11x64, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080Ti, i5-8600K OC4.5 GHz, 120GB SSD INTEL 530, SAMSUNG SSD 850 EVO 250G, 1TB HDD WD RED, MSI Z370-A PRO, Cougar AQUA 360 CPU cooler, Kingston 2x32GB DDR4 3800MHz, 4K LG 50" Monitor, Meta Quest Pro VR, Orion2 HOTAS MAX,Orion Metal Flight Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition), GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT.

Hi, I've just bought a Rift S and starting playing DCS in VR, but I'm not keen on having to reach for the Rift hand controllers to operate the cockpit switches. How do I map the controls so that I use the on screen cross that mirrors where I'm looking and then map a button on my Hotas to act as the mouse click to operate whatever switch I'm looking at? Thanks.

i5-11600K CPU, 64GB DDR4 RAM, XFX Speedster MERC319 AMD Radeon 6900 XT, Oculus Quest 2, HP Reverb G2