F-14 Tomcat Sound Mod - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-11-2019, 10:36 PM   #11
Mrjollyroger103

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHTx1nLq8iM&t=15s

Here is the link to the video I was talking about. And Thanks for all the comments, I guess we will see here in a few days.
Mrjollyroger103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:14 PM   #12
chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjollyroger103 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHTx1nLq8iM&t=15s

Here is the link to the video I was talking about. And Thanks for all the comments, I guess we will see here in a few days.

Cant hear anything wrong with the sound
Old 03-12-2019, 12:37 PM   #13
Nooch

From what I've heard on Youtube so far the Tomcat sound is great in general but there are a couple minor things that annoy me.

For example when the canopy gets shut, it sounds like you're slamming your kitchen's door or something...

Also when you light up the afterburner, you get a roar inside the cockpit (just like in the Viggen by the way) and this is a sound you should be getting only when hearing the plane from the outside, not from the inside.
Nooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:35 AM   #14
Mrjollyroger103

Still Hoping someone is considering on fixing this, this def does not sound like a tomcat on the outside. How ever on the inside it sounds fantastic. The idle sound is what needs the most work on this.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:54 AM   #15
hawk2495

To be fair, the Cat most people are used to hearing is the A. The 110s in the B are bound to sound a bit different.
hawk2495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:08 AM   #16
hocician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
From what I've heard on Youtube so far the Tomcat sound is great in general but there are a couple minor things that annoy me.

For example when the canopy gets shut, it sounds like you're slamming your kitchen's door or something...

Also when you light up the afterburner, you get a roar inside the cockpit (just like in the Viggen by the way) and this is a sound you should be getting only when hearing the plane from the outside, not from the inside.
... i´m an engine mechanic (former Mig-29 and now Typhoon) and did/do a lot engine runs - you hear the afterburner in the Cockpit! for sure the difference outside of the Cockpit is much much louder from max dry to reheat but you can hear it and also the pilot can hear it when flying - its not that much louder, you´re right, but the Tomcats AB inside the cockpit is, in my opinion, well done !

Last edited by hocician; 03-14-2019 at 07:15 AM.
hocician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:09 PM   #17
I_Gamer

To be completely honest; the sound on the F-14 is good, but not good enough for me. I dug around SDEF files and most of the exterior samples' files make no sense. For instance; a typical inner/outer radius on other modules is around 400(m) and 1600 respectively. However, for most of the external samples - these values are in the thousands. I've only just begun digging into the sound on the cat, and it's not structured as nicely as the Hornet is, unfortunately - which means getting this thing to sound more accurate is going to be a relatively difficult task to accomplish with what we have available to us.

Regardless; HB did a great job with the resources they have available to them - so props for that! Looking forward to what lies ahead, both for the Cat and beyond.

Echo One Niner (E19) Audio
official.echo19audio.com
I_Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:10 PM   #18
Mrjollyroger103

I think they nailed the inside sounds for sure but the outside ones are def lacking.

https://youtu.be/qDgoZIyKP24?t=252
Here is the start up sounds of a GE F-110 on a F-16, they had the same engines and the tomcats sounded exactly like this when starting up and also at idle.

https://youtu.be/kkXjqmLJYBU?t=81
Here is the tomcat actually starting up as a comparison. If you compare this to the Heatblur outside sounds, it sounds nothing like this at all. Like I said i think they have done a great job with things and I think we all can agree we just wanna make it even better! =)
Old 03-14-2019, 11:29 PM   #19
SonofEil

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaser View Post
there is nothing wrong with the sound - trust me
I've learned that when someone says "trust me"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjollyroger103 View Post
I think they nailed the inside sounds for sure but the outside ones are def lacking.
By HB's own admission they intentionally did not nail the inside sounds. They took some artistic license to make the switches, dials , buttons, and slidey bits much louder than they would be irl. IIRC their reason was to compensate with audio for the lack of feedback from not having your butt in the real seat.
Electronics cooling fans, the Environmental Control System, various canopy and airframe wind noises...that's what you hear in tactical aircraft cockpits I've sat in. Switches and buttons are not totally drowned out but very much in the background. ED's Hornet actually gets very close to what it sounds like irl. I came here specifically looking for a mod to tone down all the clickety-clack business in the Tomcat.

Last edited by SonofEil; 03-14-2019 at 11:38 PM.
SonofEil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:55 PM   #20
Brigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey45 View Post
The only sound mod I want is Pac-man sounds for the cockpit.
Or Herbert the pervert for Jester
Brigg is offline   Reply With Quote