Drone aircraft downed in Iran

Falcon_S

The only more sophisticated thing in Iran is the sophisticatedly hot weather, nothing more.

In more sophisticated way I meant more advanced (I read they claim to use electronic interference).

Edited by Boberro
gramma error

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UAV crash? That never happens:smartass:

http://usaf.aib.law.af.mil/indexFY11.html

Except for 12 time in fiscal year 11

http://usaf.aib.law.af.mil/indexFY10.html

8 in 2010

http://usaf.aib.law.af.mil/

and one in 2012 ( fiscal year starts in October)

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

They didn't hack anything. Those feeds were in the clear. That's like claiming that you 'hacked the police radios' because you have a scanner.

Still, makes you wonder. Remember, insurgents in Iraq successfully hacked the Predator feeds.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

whaaaat? She ain't pretty at all :huh:

Wow. This is pretty over-stated, I believe.

Also Pilotasso I really hope you're joking. :megalol:

You need to get out more, dude.

LOL they changed the report. It was Megyn kelly before. :lol:

20081028_205030_Megyn_Kelly_3.jpg

And with that temper it would only last one week anyway. Hell of a week though. :D

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

The weirdest part is that these things have alternate flight plans in case of losing contact. They wouldnt just fall out of the sky due to interference. Something else was at play here.

My PC specs below:

Usually it is hard to interfere with the signal of a satellite controlled device, unless you are near the sending station. I'm not an expert, but I remember reading this somewhere. This is what the Israelis did when they commandeered the Syrian missile batteries during their raid on the Syrian nuclear research site ("Operation Orchard").

What can be done instead is to blanket jam the carrier frequency used by the control signal. This is a brute force, but effective, way of blocking remote control of a device.

If remote control was blocked there should have been autonomous guidance systems that caused the drone to RTB.

Several years ago in Iraq it was made public that the video feeds for the first generation of US UAVS were not encrypted. This was made on the assumption that no enemies would be smart enough to intercept them (!?), plus encryption uses extra (precious) comms bandwidth. The insurgents using some cheap satellite TV gear and smarts were able to see what the American commanders were seeing (there are some very clever Iraqis). Hopefully that was rectified on this ship, although you never know, the same hubris could apply.

Edited by Moa

So, we already have the right photo of Megyn Kelly, but still no photo of the captured RQ-170. :D

The latter is strange: if you have such a prize, I would guess you brag about it?

I think shes a cylon :rolleyes:

My PC specs below:

20081028_205030_Megyn_Kelly_3.jpg cast_six.jpg

See the resemblance? :eek:

I almost frakenized an enemy agent! :D

My PC specs below:

20081028_205030_Megyn_Kelly_3.jpg cast_six.jpg

See the resemblance? :eek:

I almost frakenized an enemy agent! :D

Tricia Helfer is vastly better than Ms "Fair and Balanced" on the left.

The thing is, I already saw the original reported in the link (Megyn) not the guy, and my comment still stands then. Her hair was different than above, all straggled a bit and she still had that loud mouth, wide eyed thing going on with her vacant stare reading every syllable off the Autocue. It probably tells her when to breath.

Edited by RIPTIDE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Usually it is hard to interfere with the signal of a satellite controlled device, unless you are near the sending station. I'm not an expert, but I remember reading this somewhere. This is what the Israelis did when they commandeered the Syrian missile batteries during their raid on the Syrian nuclear research site ("Operation Orchard").

What can be done instead is to blanket jam the carrier frequency used by the control signal. This is a brute force, but effective, way of blocking remote control of a device.

If remote control was blocked there should have been autonomous guidance systems that caused the drone to RTB.

Several years ago in Iraq it was made public that the video feeds for the first generation of US UAVS were not encrypted. This was made on the assumption that no enemies would be smart enough to intercept them (!?), plus encryption uses extra (precious) comms bandwidth. The insurgents using some cheap satellite TV gear and smarts were able to see what the American commanders were seeing (there are some very clever Iraqis). Hopefully that was rectified on this ship, although you never know, the same hubris could apply.

Moa. Any idea what power levels these UAV's work at in their respective frequency? Just wondering because, GPS signals are low power, partly because of the fact that they're distributed over a huge footprint from a long distance away (ie. weak) and are relatively easy to jam because of this.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Usually it is hard to interfere with the signal of a satellite controlled device, unless you are near the sending station. I'm not an expert, but I remember reading this somewhere.
Well, GPS satellite is some 15 000 miles above the Earth and its transmission power is just few kilowatts. I doubt that it takes much of power to jam that kind of a signal. Although I would assume that these aircraft mainly rely on Inertial navigation.

I don't know where the Flight Control signals come from? For this kind of drones, I doubt that it is coming through satellites.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit