Throttle Problems/Engine Cut-Off

mytai01

I'm not sure if this is an issue or not, but when I put my TM Warthog throttle to full idle position the engine turns off. I don't know how to fix this...

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

Hmm. I don't have a warthog so it will be hard for me to replicate. Still we will check.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

The Warthog has physical gates that go from idle to off. You have to lift the throttles up and pull the throttles over and back into the engine off position, which activates a button press that is used on the A-10C module to turn the engines off. It also has a removable gate that simulates going from mil power to AB, or if you turn it around it doesn't stop the throttle from advancing all the way to full power. As it stands with the AV-8B, all I have to do is pull it back to the idle gate and the engine cuts-out. It seems kind of dangerous if the real aircraft doesn't have a mechanism (gate) to keep the throttle from going into engine cut-off. Perhaps the module is missing a gate or action that prevents the throttle from going all the way back to engine off mode?

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

I have yet to have had that issue, and I was flying for a while yesterday, I will try to reproduce that here in a few. after the kids are sent to school.

http://www.ipms.dk

i7 9700K, Asus Z390 Prime A, Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, GeForce RTX 2080 Ti STRIX ROG, Fractal Design Define R6, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind, Oculus Rift S. 32 GB 3200 MHz RAM

The Warthog has physical gates that go from idle to off. You have to lift the throttles up and pull the throttles over and back into the engine off position, which activates a button press that is used on the A-10C module to turn the engines off. It also has a removable gate that simulates going from mil power to AB, or if you turn it around it doesn't stop the throttle from advancing all the way to full power. As it stands with the AV-8B, all I have to do is pull it back to the idle gate and the engine cuts-out. It seems kind of dangerous if the real aircraft doesn't have a mechanism (gate) to keep the throttle from going into engine cut-off. Perhaps the module is missing a gate or action that prevents the throttle from going all the way back to engine off mode?

Did you set the binding on the throttle?

What i did was have the throttle in idle position, opened the control binding window for engine cut off or what ever it is, moved the throttle back over the gate and the module recognised straight away the switch number (cant remember what it was now). It works perfect for me. I can slam the throttle back to the idle stop after landing and it doesnt shut down. Also works on start up moving throttle from HP shut to idle position.

Edited by bart

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Did you set the binding on the throttle?

What i did was have the throttle in idle position, opened the control binding window for engine cut off or what ever it is, moved the throttle back over the gate and the module recognised straight away the switch number (cant remember what it was now). It works perfect for me. I can slam the throttle back to the idle stop after landing and it doesnt shut down. Also works on start up moving throttle from HP shut to idle position.

I too assigned the engine cut off to the full back position on my Warthog. It didn't solve the problem! Every time I pulled the throttle back to idle the engine would quit. I had to do a manual solution by tuning the Y-Axis on the throttle to 90%. Anymore would still kill the engine when I pull it to idle. I still think this shouldn't be required and something needs to be figured out about it. BTW, I'm using DCS World Beta.

I can't get mine to reproduce the issue, I have since bound throttle cut off to the idle detent on the throttle axis, makes start up easier. Been "fetting" with it for an hour and no joy on the issue. Are you sure the detent block in the throttle is flipped so it makes a detent back at idle not for afterburner.

http://www.ipms.dk

i7 9700K, Asus Z390 Prime A, Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, GeForce RTX 2080 Ti STRIX ROG, Fractal Design Define R6, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind, Oculus Rift S. 32 GB 3200 MHz RAM

Ok, just tried it and all is fine here. I can slam the throttle to idle both in flight and on the ground and I have no engine shutdown, works perfect.

I checked my bindings and here is what I have :-

HOTAS > Throttle Cut Off > JOY_BTN29 (this is for the right throttle on the Warthog).

What I did notice is during start up when I open the HP cock on the throttle I have to open the throttle slightly to get the lever in aircraft to sit properly on the idle detent, but I seem to recall having to do this anyway in the A10-C so may be a curves thing? although I don't use curves anyway :/

Are you sure the detent block in the throttle is flipped so it makes a detent back at idle not for afterburner.

My throttle is set up for the A10-C so I only have the idle/shutdown detent, no reheat detent flipped over.

Edited by bart

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Same problem on my x-56, but dependent on situation.

When airborne this is what happens:

After I do a full start-up procedure, throttle idle = eng. shutdown, (throttle can go full back).

When Air-start: throttle idle = idle position (throttle won't go all the way back), works ok.

Very strange?

(Edit: Batter description of problem)

Edited by CoBlue
Batter description of problem

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

Only use the "idle cut off lever" to shut the engine off. On startup make sure you dont move the throttle until the rpm is around 95? Then move the throttle forward. To move the throttle further deactivate the "parking brake lever". If the engine dont kick in when moving the throttle one detent forward then use the "idle cut off lever" to move the throttle back then forward again and lock the throttle again with the "idle cut off lever"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ANON6-1 | Wolfie

Throttle Problems/Engine Cut-Off

Watch when you're clicking the Parking Brake Release, there is another level/button hidden right beside it that kills the throttle. So you think you've released the Parking Brake but as soon as you move the throttle forward to taxi, the engine starts shutting down.

I did this probably 5 times before I figured it out. Use the Smart Labels and make sure you're clicking the Parking Brake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I also use the TM Warthog throttle, but I can try using another axis instead to see if this makes a difference.

I also experienced this, but only when idling while flying 15kft or higher to initiate a descent (the first time I didn't do that and just busted though the sound barrier with like 90% RPM at ~25° dive, awesome!). I can idle the throttle at low altitudes without problems though. Might be related to the reduced performance at higher altitudes where it just comes down below a critical value at idle setting.

Also, I tried to restart the engine, of course. Mapped that airstart button, but it didn't help. So I just went over to move the throttle back to the "ramp start idle" position (RWin+T), start the APU, wait a bit, start the engine, wait until it reaches 9,2% RPM, move throttle forward, wait until it runs smoothly, done.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

What I do is after the start I move the throttle back to idle and put the fuel cutoff lever back down and it prevents me from going to idle cutoff.

This is what is required. There was no bug. It's just a procedural error on my part. you absolutely have to put the idle cut-off lever back down once you get past idle to keep the throttle from going back to cut-off. Thanks, Case closed! NOT A BUG!

• 2 months later...

I ve had the same issue on my x-55 in case if I move throttle forward with Throttle cut off lever down. So the solution for me was to unlock Throttle cut off lever before I move Throttle in idle position and when rpm starts to ramp up I close Throttle cut off lever and move Throttle all the way back, so you will notice the gap now and engine will not cut off anymore