PzKpfw-VI Ausf. E Tiger I Pics in Weekend Update

Captain Orso

Just a heads-up. In the latest DCS World Weekend Update - 14 October 2016 Post# 53 post the pictures of the Tiger I's are missing their drive wheels in the rear, or at least their hubs are not protruding out far enough. They should be visible from at least the shallow angle shot.

Compare:

Screen_161014_105727.jpg

Vimoutiers_%28Orne-France%29_-_Char_Tigre_allemand.jpg

Also, the road wheels are a bit too larger, or at least too narrowly spaced. The hubs of the inner road wheels should protrude between the outer road wheels; see the above comparison pictures.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Hi,

Tiger on your photo has wheels from the end production but DCS Tiger has the most common.

I think that DCS Tiger looks exactly like should looks like.

4987447249_1cb2954c6d_b.jpg.058bc6ebf3449625b691c1c2b82ff5a8.jpg

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

I think you're comparing a first production Tiger with a Tiger E. Anyway, are we still in a flight simulator were you'll see that at 500Km/H? :D

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

True, the DCS Tiger I is early production, and the one on my picture is late. But the drive wheel hub should still be visible at angles of about 45° and greater, considering a perpendicular side shot being 90°, which is what the DCS picture I posted is.

Have a look at this page: Tiger Battalions: The Life and Times of Germany's Tiger Battalions - 2 and scroll down about a page to "Schwere Panzer Abteilung 504 - sPzAbt 504". There you will find an illustration of an early production PzKpfw-VIE and below it a photo of an early production Tiger I at an angle shallower than 45°, and you can still see the end of the drive wheel hub.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Just a heads-up. In the latest DCS World Weekend Update - 14 October 2016 Post# 53 post the pictures of the Tiger I's are missing their drive wheels in the rear, or at least their hubs are not protruding out far enough. They should be visible from at least the shallow angle shot.

Compare:

Also, the road wheels are a bit too larger, or at least too narrowly spaced. The hubs of the inner road wheels should protrude between the outer road wheels; see the above comparison pictures.

You are comparing late production one with mid-production (DCS).

DCS got it right.

tiger%20131%20s%20ss%20pz%20abt%20101%20-%20normandy%201944.jpg

• Like 1

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think you're comparing a first production Tiger with a Tiger E. Anyway, are we still in a flight simulator were you'll see that at 500Km/H? :D

S!

*ummm* the first Tigers were the PzKpfw-VI Ausf. E. The early production vehicles had the smooth-dish road wheels, while one of the later productions series went over to road wheels, which appear to be bolted together, probably using much less material.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

*ummm* the first Tigers were the PzKpfw-VI Ausf. E. The early production vehicles had the smooth-dish road wheels, while one of the later productions series went over to road wheels, which appear to be bolted together, probably using much less material.

There is early/mid/late production tigers. Only late prod uses steel wheels. Both early and mid ones uses rubber coated wheels with hubs inside them. DCS one is mid production. Therefore hub should not be visible on those screenshots.

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40GHz | Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M | Memory: Kingston 8GB DDR3 | OS W10 | GPU: Sapphire R9 290x 8GBDDR5 | Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 24" | Devices: Oculus Rift, MS FFB 2 joystick, Saitek X 52 Pro throttle, Saitek Pro pedals, Gametrix Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am pretty sure Ausf. H1 was before the Ausf. E. The latter was the late production model after the Tiger II project was nearing completion.

Still, Tiger production revolved around lots of handywork and each tank might seem different. You can see lots of differences between T-34's depending on the factory and time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

One never stops learning around here :smilewink:

True, the DCS Tiger I is mid-production series, with smooth-dish, rubber-edged wheels, according to Tiger I Information Center. Check all three links to the production series for pictures:

Early Production Photos highlighting early model characteristics

Mid Production More photos detailing mid production Tiger tanks

Late Production Even more pictures illustrating late model vehicles

The pictures I referenced in Tiger Battalions above are then actually mid-production series. So their description is actually faulty. But since the DCS Tiger I is mid-production, and the pictures I referenced are also mid-production, my observation is I believe still valid. The drive wheel hub (not the hubs on the road wheels), is too shallow and not visible.

tiger%20131%20mid%20production2.jpg

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

Look at the pic of saburo_cz already posted, mid-prod from almost same angle as the first screenshot, just other side. No drivewheel visible there too...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Anyway, are we still in a flight simulator were you'll see that at 500Km/H? :D

That is a more serious point than you think. The tiger could look like something from my kid's minecraft game and I would never see the difference from the air.:music_whistling:

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Naja, the photo I referenced on Tiger Battalions is very close to the exact same angle, but also from the other side, and you can see the drive wheel.

Without using special software to measure the exact angle of the tanks in the pictures, we'll have to let the devs check this, or wait for the first release, and see further from there ;)

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

That is a more serious point than you think. The tiger could look like something from my kid's minecraft game and I would never see the difference from the air.:music_whistling:

Well, from the air in a war bird probably not. From the ground in CA maybe. I mean, it's not like I'm looking at Tigers all the time, and after looking at the pictures in the Weekly Update post, I saw the missing hub pretty quickly, or I didn't see it :D

It's a minor thing, but there's no harm in having things done right the first time, no ;)

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

I am pretty sure Ausf. H1 was before the Ausf. E. The latter was the late production model after the Tiger II project was nearing completion.

Just for interest: From Jentz & Doyle , there were several names adopted officially throughout the Tiger I's design and production - for example, the designation was Pz.Kpfw.VI (VK 4501/H) Ausf.H1 (Tiger), from Feb 1942, and, from March 1943, became Panzerkampwagen Tiger Ausf E or Pz.Kpfw.Tiger (8.8cm L56) (Sd.Kfz.181). All referred to the same vehicle, and there was no differentiation between early, middle or late production Tiger Is.

To narrow down ED's Tiger, it is an Ausf E with late, 7 periscope cupola and zimmerit (introduced July & August '43, respectively) and central headlight (introduced October '43), but it still has a shovel on the glacis, which was deleted c. Jan '44. Thus it was built sometime between October '43 and Jan '44. :smartass:

Anyway, according to this post these are initial "first looks", so there's always going to be room for improvement.

here's hoping they model all the relevant tanks of the time and not just a Tiger 1. im interested in seeing the panzer 4 and the panther medium tanks, as well as allied Sherman's including the 76mm armed m4a3e8

I mean it is Normandy from 1944 - 1945.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

I honestly don't know. From the two pictures we have of the tentative model, it's impossible to say how the hub looks on the rear sprocket. My feeling is that it's too small or at least doesn't protrude outward far enough. I may be completely wrong, but here's another picture from about a 45° angle of what appears to me to be the same Ausführung:

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-310-0880-38_Italien_Rom_Tiger_I_vor_Vittoriano.jpg

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

• ED Team
I honestly don't know. From the two pictures we have of the tentative model, it's impossible to say how the hub looks on the rear sprocket. My feeling is that it's too small or at least doesn't protrude outward far enough. I may be completely wrong, but here's another picture from about a 45° angle of what appears to me to be the same Ausführung:

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-310-0880-38_Italien_Rom_Tiger_I_vor_Vittoriano.jpg

If you can find a good shot of the hub, I will look into it deeper. Even if its a picture of the hub not on the tank.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png